Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I have been here a little while but...

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: I have been here a little while but...

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am

There was a pair of button quails that came with the cardinals, Liz, when one of them died, I replaced it with a younger one, then the other old one died and now I have to find another young one for the one that is left so it would not be lonely (the poor thing calls and calls and calls for a mate). They can't be released into the wild, they are native to Asia grasslands but, aside from that, these are teeny tiny birds that have been bred in captivity for so long that they would never make it in their own.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:13 am

Sarahk wrote:I'm sure I could find one, I have a very reputable bird shop nearby so I am going to go chat with him tomorrow about what species are available locally.
I have also found a breeder interstate that has good reviews. Her list of parrots is as follows:

Eclectus, Alexandrines, Indian Ringnecks, Lacewings, Moustache, Sun Conures, Janday Conures, Quakers, Lorikeets, Varied Lorikeets, Greencheeks, Cinnamon Greencheeks, Black Capped Conures, Black Capped Lori, Dusky Lori, Chattering Lori, Black Cockatoos, Black Headed Caiques, Amazons, Hahns Macaws and the most beautiful Blue & Gold Macaws...

I have to do some more research into her, because that seems like a lot of birds to be breeding to me, but it is pretty much all the exotic brids that are available here. Autralian species, obviously easier to come by.

I will probably have to wait a while if I go with a breeder, so in the meantime I will look out for a rescue cockatiel. There is a bird rescue near by, but the seem to have only lorikeets (don't thinking could deal with the projectile poop) and cockatoos (which are beautiful, but definately too much for me). I definately see the advantages of an older bird, but I'm not sure it would be an option for me.

Oh, my, yes, the breeder has a large selection but I don't know if I like that... I would not go with a breeder as I always adopt, rehome or rescue but, if I had no choice, I would go with a smaller breeder... one that doesn't have so many species and socializes the babies more closely (how could this breeder possibly do that with so many different ones?). But you have great choices in terms of species... jendays, sunnies, quakers, etc all great species because they are companion but smallish in size.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sarahk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:13 pm

That was my instinct on the breeder too. I have not been able to find a bad word about her, but as I can't go visit her myself, I don't think like it.

Having narrowed it down, I think now I am going to have to just visit with some birds as the opportunity arises and see which one picks me.

Thanks for your help. I feel much better informed now.
Sarahk
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby liz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:18 am

When I was looking for a friend for Rainbow I hoped to find one his age but could not. Heck I did not even know that there are different species of Amazons at that time.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Introductions