Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from a sennie household

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello from a sennie household

Postby Katie80 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:33 am

:senegal: hi, I’ve just joined. Have an 18yr old sennie.
She’s nippy, screams lots and jealous of anyone having attention from me.
She’s previously stayed and bonded with my mum and Nan too- thought with me working and Nan lonely, that she would be a good companion for each other but dementia set in for my Nan and she has come back to us as fell poorly, lost weight and became a plucker.
Diet changed and working on behaviour - feathers growing back and looking healthier.
Katie80
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from a sennie household

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:03 am

Hi, Katie and sennie [you did not tell us her name] and welcome to the forum! It's fabulous that she is now allowing her feathers to grow! Kudos to you for that! :thumbsup: I have an 11 or 12 year old female and a 20 or 21 year old male [I have to look at their bands because I don't remember off the top of my head]. Neither is nippy [the female is one of the sweetest birds I have and, in my experience -she is the third one I've had- female sennies tend to be like that] but the male does pluck. He started after he lost his second mate in two years and have not stopped since even though everything that can be done in captivity for them [which is not saying a lot, mind you!] is being done. I have been thinking lately of getting a collar for him but I so dislike doing things that bother them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Katie80 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 am

Hello,
Apologies- her name is Fruitti (we were told that she does have a brother out there somewhere called Tutti - Tutti Fruitti). I would happily post a photo of her if I knew how.
I did initially think about a collar, but she is so anxious about everything new - absolutely everything is a threat to her. I brought a harness but can never see it happening...
Katie80
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 am

:lol: Tutti and Fruity - wonderful! Does she know her name? Because mine does. She doesn't speak a single word but she understands and follows quite a number of commands and phrases. The male, on the other hand, is a GENIUS! He not only has a huge repertoire of words and phrases, he has cognitive speech and actually has conversations with me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm

My senegal calls out 'steve' when i leave the room and. Says 'stephen'! In an authoritative manner If ive annoyed him.

Not that remarkable....until i tell you i live alone and have no reason to ever say my own name!
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 am

Yes, that IS remarkable! But I am not surprised as they are super intelligent!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Introductions