Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing Sherman & Friends

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Introducing Sherman & Friends

Postby KMcM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Howdy folks! I'm Karen. My sweetie Kevin and I just got a Ruppell's Parrot we call Sherman. Today (October 3rd, 2021), he is 4.5 months old and is a real hoot. I'd love to talk with other Ruppell's parrot people, folks with babies, or anyone who can give insights and tips as new parrot people.

Sherman_575x332.jpg
Sherman Portrait
Sherman_575x332.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

FOODS TRIED
(green = strong preference; yellow/orange = interested; red = dislike)

Bell Pepper
Cucumber
Green Bean
Sweet Potato
Zucchini
Arugula
Blueberry
Broccoli
Carrot
Cauliflower
Cilantro
Mint
Spinach
Alfalfa Sprout
Raspberry
Apple
Banana
Blackberry
Grapes, Black
Grapes, Red
Last edited by KMcM on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KMcM
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Ruppell's Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Introducing Sherman & Friends

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:48 am

Hi, Karen, Kevin and Sherman! Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody here has a Rueppell but we do have other pois (I have senegals and redbellies) and, in truth, they are all quite similar in their needs so let us know if we can help you. What I would recommend is that you start him off on a good diet because this is the perfect time for it. Oh, and don't forget that you have a baby in your hands, no matter how big or grown up he looks, so you need to feed it soft food every day.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby KMcM » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Is there a Discord or Slack for folks in this community?
KMcM
Parakeet

Postby KMcM » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:52 pm

Also, thanks @Pajarita - do steamed veggies count as soft? He really gravitates to things that are crunchy and have 'good' texture. He's very adventurous with food and happy to try things (and as happy to fling away stuff he doesn't like -- it's pretty clear when he enjoys something).
KMcM
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 am

Well, I guess that steamed veggies could count as soft food but, in reality, when we talk about soft food, we refer to things that are complete meals in themselves -meaning, they have protein, fiber and vitamins/minerals (low fat is always a plus for parrots). Gloop is a soft food that adults also should eat because it's made with lightly cooked whole grains and frozen veggies so it not only provides everything but it is also the most nutritious because frozen veggies are, by far, the most nutritious of all the veggies (you mix the unthawed frozen veggies with the already cooked whole grains and pulses which you allow to cool before mixing in the frozen veggies, split into daily portions and thaw one portion at a time).

Steamed veggies sound good and I am sure the baby likes them because they are soft and warm (like the parents would feed the baby) but, in reality, they are not providing much of the things they need to eat because the heat kills the phytonutrients in them and, if you use fresh veggies for it, they are pretty much useless in terms of nutrition unless we are talking about veggies that are high in betacarotene. You would be much better off giving him raw produce -which is what they evolved to eat and need for the phytonutrients and enzymes (gut flora). My birds eat gloop and raw produce for breakfast, seeds/nuts for dinner and get a multivitamin/mineral supplement two or three times a week.

Also, no spinach, please. Spinach has way too much iron for birds (good for people but not for birds) and is also too high in oxalic acid which inhibits calcium absorption (always an issue with captive birds that do not get enough direct sunlight as they should).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:09 am

I have no idea what you are asking about and, given that this is the second time you post the same thing, if I see a third one, I will delete your account because I suspect you are getting paid for postings and just writing nonsense.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby KMcM » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:13 pm

Slow your roll, @Pajarita. I didn't post the second one. Someone else re-posted it because it wasn't addressed and probably wanted to know the answer to that, too.

Discord is basically an IM service a lot of communities use to do text and voice chat. I'd like real time chat in some cases.
KMcM
Parakeet

Postby KMcM » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:16 pm

@Pajarita, I do have a question about fresh veggies -- you've said elsewhere in the forums that fresh vegetables are not optimal because they are picked unripe and 'ripen' on the way to grocery stores. Does that apply to vegetables and fruit from farmer's markets? We have a ton of them around here and have been taking advantage of that for Sherman's fresh food. I can't think of something much fresher than that, but am curious if you have thoughts on that route for fruits and vegetables.

Noted on the spinach. Thanks.
KMcM
Parakeet

Postby KMcM » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:33 am

Or they're totally a bot.

EDIT: The bot user got deleted - if this thread seems disjointed. :)
KMcM
Parakeet

Return to Introductions