Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Newbie here

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Newbie here

Postby Nikky_missy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi everyone my name is Nikky and I live in the north east of England, I have just rehomed a 2yr old alexandrine parrot female and she is Miss Coco :irn:
Nikky_missy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Newbie here

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am

Hi, Nikky and Coco, welcome to the forum and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you, both.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Here we are!

Postby freddymom » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi Everyone,
My very first post and introduction. My baby's name is Freddy. He is 17 yrs old.
He is a Quaker. My name is Becky and we live in Texas. Hi to Everyone!
freddymom
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:57 am

Hi, Becky and Freddy! Quakers are my very favorite parrot - I have three myself, two males and one female. Aren't they great?! Super smart, fabulous eaters, great bathers and fliers and so very affectionate! And the females are great talkers, too! What more can you ask for?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DiscoCisco » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi! New to the forum.

My name is Rachel and I have a Green Cheek Conure named Beaker, we are from New Mexico!

Beaker has been very aggresive recently, at first I thought it was hormones because when it started it was conure breeding season (also he's almost a year old now) so I decided to wait it out. after October ended he got a lot better, but he's gotten worse again, that's why I'm here.
I can't seem to find a reason for the aggresion but he's been biting me so bad that he's drawing blood.

if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it so much, at this point I'm desperate.

Thank You for any help you can give me
DiscoCisco
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:25 am

Hi, Rachel and Beaker, welcome to the forum. First of all, let me clarify something: if he is now almost a year old, there is no way on this green earth that he was having breeding behaviors months ago because they do not 'develop' until later (usually, between 18 and 24 months of age). Simply put, if the bird is too young to produce sexual hormones, he couldn't possibly be having breeding behaviors so the problem is something else altogether.

Now, babies and even juveniles (that is what he is now, not yet an adult but not a baby either) don't usually bite unless there is something bothering and, with CGGs, it's usually not enough time spent with them. I do not know how many hours he spends out of cage or on you but, in my personal experience and opinion, when a GCC bites, it's either because it is overly hormonal (not possible in your bird's case) or it feels neglected. Diet also has a lot to do with aggression because high protein promotes aggression so you need to re-evaluate its diet (GCCs cannot be free-fed any type of protein food, they need lots of raw produce, some cooked whole grains and veggies and just a tiny little bit of a good quality budgie mix and nuts for dinner (mine get half a teaspoonful of budgie mix and 1/4 walnut or half a cashew). Also reconsider how many hours it spends out of cage and on you because they need hours and hours and hours and it needs to be in the middle of the day.

Yours is a VERY common problem with GCCs because people see them little and think they are easier to care for than a larger parrot but it is actually the opposite because they are as needy as cockatoos and, in order to keep them happy, one needs to spend almost all day long with them on our shoulders. I have two females and both came to me at around 2 years of age. Codee was handfed but neglected (she was left alone all day long while her owners worked) so she turned to biting. Annie is parent-raised and came to me from a man who thought he was going to make a lot of money selling babies but who had no idea how to handfeed or even care for GCCs so he ended up with 36 babies that were not only not people-friendly but also with behavioral issues because he kept all the birds crowded in a single cage and fed wrong. Codee spends almost her entire day on me -this time of the year, they are let out at 6:30 am and put back in their cages at 2 - 2:30 pm, get dinner at 3:45 pm and are already roosting for the night at 4:45 pm)- she goes on my shoulder at 6:30 am, back into her cage to eat her breakfast for about 1/2 hour around 8 am and back on my shoulder until she goes back into her cage in the pm.

For a GCC, hours and hours of shoulder time is a necessity and not a luxury - they simply cannot get used to being alone, some birds resign themselves to loneliness but most of them don't. Let me put it to you this way: 10 amazons are easier to care for than a single GCC.

Now, if this is the problem that is making Beaker bite you and you work all day long, the solution could be to get Beaker another GCC for company (but you cannot get another baby because Beaker is no longer one, you need to get either a juvenile or an adult, preferably of the opposite gender) and put them both in a room where they can fly all day long. Or you can get a birdsitter or a daybirdcare.

If this is not the problem, then it could be the diet, the light schedule (it needs to be a strict solar one with full exposure to dawn and dusk) or if he is clipped, that could be a reason too because it is extremely stressful for birds not to be able to fly (they can't get away from danger and, if you have, say, a dog or a cat, this could make it worse).

So my advice to you is to re-evaluate his diet, light schedule and daily routine (which needs to be exactly the same every single day of its life) and see if you can find something that could be causing the problem. Once the problem disappears, the behavior will disappear, too. Not immediately, mind you, but it will.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Introductions