Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hello from India

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

hello from India

Postby tequila » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 am

I just bought a 3 yr old CAG and unfortunately hes a wild caught bird and seems very unused to humans. He only accepts an unhealthy diet of sunflower seeds and sugarcane, wont even try anything else. I realy want to do my best for Coco. Hes only been home 4 days, so we are getting used to each other.

I would appreciate any advice I get. I really want him to be a healthy happy bird who can be out of his cage.

Thanks in advancs
tequila
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey parrot
Flight: No

Re: hello from India

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Welcome tequila!

The first thing you need to do is to follow the taming instructions under the "taming and training" thread. In general, you start by going in to the room with the bird's cage, walk toward the cage until the bird gets uncomfortable/moves away/hides. Stop there. Don't look directly at the bird. You are a predator, and the poor little bird is prey, so try to avoid predator behavior. Talk to the bird for 10-15 minutes, then leave. Do this 3 to 4 times a day. You may be able to get closer each time. Be patient. This may take days or months, but let the bird set the pace. I promise it will pay off later. When you can get to the cage without causing the bird to be upset, we can move on to the next step. If you want to know what it is, read the other thread. Or ask Wolf-he is our master tamer.

You still need to feed and water the bird regularly, clean the cage daily, etc. Try to give it space to avoid you. If it knows it CAN avoid you, it won't start to hate you. We'll work on love after we get past terror.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby tequila » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am

Thank you Harpmaker
i am doing exactly as you suggested. Wolf has been very kind too.
Im so glad to be part of the forum with people who really love their birds :)
tequila
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:28 am

Yes, taming is important but a good diet is, too. Grays are difficult to switch to a good diet but you have the advantage of him been a wild-caught so he should be easier.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby tequila » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:36 am

My CAG Coco is really difficult to feed. He just doesnt want to try new food at all. Parajita this is something i observed in wild indian ringnecks too. Several fly around my home and come to my window and balcony. I tried putting out food for them very often, but they dont touch it. The mynahs and pigeons are far more receptive.
I have heard theres a gentleman in my city who feeds parrots and hundreds come to his terrace to feed every morning. Im keen to locate him and try his method. In any city birds find it difficult to forage with trees disappearing so fast.
The wild parrots also performed a very interesting ritual every afternoon. Outside my sitting room window theres an extended rain water pipe. There are many pigeons who roost on that. This male parrot and his hen would sit on that pipe for a bit and then they guy would fly off and hide leaving the hen there. As soon as ant pigeon perched on the pipe the guy would attack and chase the pigeon. This became a regular game and it was so funny to watch :).
tequila
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 am

That is such a cool story, I love it. Thank you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:11 am

:lol: Yes, parrots are quirky birds. And, yes, grays are not easy to switch to a good diet but there are tricks to help with the transition.
1. You cannot free-feed the high protein food (seeds, nuts, pellets, etc)
2. You should only feed about 1/4 cup of a good quality seed mix (and that means not a lot of sunflowers and then only the striped ones) at sunset and take the bowl out when the bird is asleep.
3. Wait about one hour after sunrise and then feed cooked whole grains that are still firm and a bit hard in the middle and mix with just a very few seeds from the mix. Once he is eating the grains, eliminate the seeds and start adding cooked vegetables to it very gradually and very slowly.
4. Eat fresh vegetables and fruits in front of him in the morning when you serve him his food. Bite a piece and offer him the same fruit you bit into (but not the side you put in your mouth) and, when he tries it, praise, praise, praise.
5. Always use the same words over and over and over (something like yummy, yummy or whatever equivalent there is in your language to indicate that something is very tasty).

It takes time but they do, eventually, start eating a variety of things.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions