Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from UAE

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello from UAE

Postby Lookie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm Saif from UAE. I'm glad that I'm glad that I stumbled upon this board. Looking to get my first tame bird and probably an instruction course. It would be great if you'll could help out - have a look here -

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1173&start=0

I've listed my needs in details there. Good day and thanks in advance.
Lookie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Hello from UAE

Postby cherylcat54 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 am

Quite sincerely I say, Don't consider a large and complex parrot for your first bird! There are no "givens" in parrot behaviors - Such are determined by factors such as training and environment. Here In the U.S. there are excellent books and media to educate new parrot owners, and all are available through Amazon.com, Good Bird.com, etc. Conures are an excellent starting point - little parrots with BIG bird personalities. Green Cheeks, Suns, and Jenday's (the largest of the conure species) make excellent avian pets. They do vocalize (ALL parrots do) but are not prone to screaming fits. Prices begin in the $200. U.S. range, they don't take a lot of space, and are easy to train and raise. ALL require knowledge, and while you can learn as you go, small mistakes can translate to a sick or demised bird if you don't do your homework. As a Cockatoo owner and behavior consultant I will advise stay clear of them as a first time owner. Their intelligence and emotional make-up make these birds candidates for screamers and pluckers if not in knowledgeable hands.

SOME EXCELLENT books to prepare you for owning and raising a parrot are as follows, and I list them in order of their complexity:

"Parrots For Dummies" by Nikki Moustaki - In spite of the silly title it provides solid basic direction for selecting, feeding and training a parrot.

"Good Bird! A Guide to Solving Behavioral Problems in Companion Parrots" by Barbara Heidenreich - This individual is one of the leading experts in Parrot raising, training and keeping. She has a web site - Goodbird.com which has forums, books and video resources. and her knowledge is second to none.

"My Parrot, My Friend: An Owner's Guide to Parrot Behavior (Behavior Modification Techniques and Their Role in Contemporary Aviculture): by Bonnie Munro Doane and Thomas Qualkinbush - This is a 'must have' for any parrot owner who truly wants to have a well-adjusted well trained parrot. It is an advanced primer which concentrates on understanding Parrot Ethology (how parrots think) based upon their wild and natural instincts. Remember that parrots are not domesticated like dogs and cats - they are but a handful of generations from wild habitat, and to work with them effectively you must understand the difference between how THEY perceive their environment and YOUR perception of what they're thinking (we call those constructs). Where you may think to yourself, "my bird is crabby", the bird's perspective may well be, "I'm afraid of the T.V. sitting next to my perch".

Please don't think for a moment that I am trying to talk you out of owning a parrot, because they are the most incredible, loving and entertaining creatures you could ever call your own. But there is a reason that hundreds of parrot foster facilities, rescues and sanctuaries are overwhelmed with homeless birds each year. When you take a parrot on you are making a 20 to 75 YEAR commitment, and it only works out to a happily ever-after when people see past the pretty novelty and understand what's required to live and TRAIN a well adjusted, well behaved, healthy parrot. As someone who actually works on behavior modification/trust issues with abused and orphaned parrots I can tell you it can take months, even years to undue damage caused by misunderstanding, neglect or abuse (some of it is actually unintentional but nonetheless present because of owners who simply did NOT know what they were getting themselves in to). In some cases the parrot can never recover which results in sanctuary placement (space available) or euthanasia. The BEST gift you can give yourself and your "lucky bird to be" is knowledge. That along with love, proper training and a healthy well balanced fresh food/pellet diet will ensure the best possible outcome for the both or you. My parrots are an indispensable part of my world, and I am all the better for having owned and worked with them. You may feel free to contact me any time, and the advice I will give you will not be tainted by prejudice or personal preferences, but based upon what I know AND based upon what I've learned in working with these magnificent creatures. GOOD FOR YOU for wanting to do you homework before acquiring a bird. That puts you ahead of the game already!
Cheryl T. (Kaku2mom)
“Live that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.” ~ Will Rogers ~
cherylcat54
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 12 y/o Male M-2
7 y/o Fem. U-2
8 y/o Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Return to Introductions