Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hello from toronto, canada

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

hello from toronto, canada

Postby ajheli » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 am

hi my name is aj and i am a proud friend of my baby senegal named mango, after about 6 months of saving money and researching about these beautiful birds and parrots in general, i picked her up about a mounth a ago when she was about 4 months old, and all i can say is that she is the best purchase i have ever made in my whole life. she has already learned to shake her head when i say shake, steps up and down on command, and runs towards me to kiss me when i ask her to give me a kiss, i am currently working on play dead trick and she is almost there, one question i have is that when it comes to teaching your birds tricks, do you teach them one trick at a time and you move on to the next one once they are comfortable with it , or do you try to teach your bird a few tricks at the same time cause thats what i did and i was wondering if its too much for the bird?
ajheli
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: senegal parrot
Flight: No

Re: hello from toronto, canada

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:44 am

Hi and welcome! Noodle is also the best purchase I ever made!
I'd been re-searching parrots for a while and planned on getting a grey but Noodle stole my heart!
I have my grey now too and I love him just as much!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey

Postby MandyG » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 am

Welcome! Congrats on getting Mango!

I train one trick at a time. I feel there's less room for confusion then. Are you training multiple new tricks during one training session? Or do you just have a few 'works in progress' at one time but only work on one trick during each session? I wouldn't recommend working on multiple new tricks during a training session, but you might be able to get away with it if you're training new tricks on separate days and the tricks are quite different from eachother. Such as you wouldn't want to be working on the 'shake' and 'nod' at the same time, that might lead to confusion.

I do work on multiple behaviours at the same time. I'm usually working on one new trick while we're constantly working on step-ups and other trust building things such as him letting me pet him all over.

How has your training been working out for you? I would think it would be faster to train a new trick if you're only teaching one at a time based on my experience.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby ajheli » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 pm

hi mandy, thanks for replying, well i have had her for only a month, when i got him, being so excited and all, i started training her on five new tricks which are step down and up, shake, kiss me, flip, play dead, on every training session, she has got everything right but still working on playdead, i was just wondering if this would put so much pressure on the bird or not and lead to behavioral problems and lack of interests for future training? but anyway i think from now on i would only mix one new trick in what she knows and practicing already.

mango is damn smart though:) --------> :senegal:
ajheli
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: senegal parrot

Return to Introductions