Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:52 am

Pajarita wrote:There is no problem giving the ACV and the antifungal. And it is stress, John. A depressed immune system is the only way a parrot gets a fungal infection. You might want to keep Ocean in a different room and spend more time with her. But why did they gavage? Has she lost a lot of weight? Gavage is so stressful to them...

She (ocean) had lost weight and he blood sugar was very low, again. The vet wanted to get fluids and food into her for the ride home. At least we didn't have to admit her this time. Her blood sugar was 256.
Last edited by Navre on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Tanya's cholesterol was unchanged after a month or so on the Cholestrymine. There is some question about how long the medicine is good for after it's mixed. I refrigerate it, but because it's a human drug, usually mixed and then immediately used, they aren't sure if it's losing its potency sitting in the refrigerator. We are going to try mixing a new batch every week and see if that helps. Tanya will go back in 2 weeks. If she still isn't getting better they will come up with another plan.

Ocean's WBC is better, but still slightly elevated.

This hospital gets lab results back so quickly, usually the same day or the next day.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:22 pm

I am sorry, the way you had worded things, it sounded as if Tanya was improving and had gained weight. This low blood sugar may be stress related, but in Tanya's case I worry that her pancreas may be becoming compromised, which would not be surprising considering her other issues. I do hope that this does not turn out to be the case, she has enough problems as it is.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Wolf wrote:I am sorry, the way you had worded things, it sounded as if Tanya was improving and had gained weight. This low blood sugar may be stress related, but in Tanya's case I worry that her pancreas may be becoming compromised, which would not be surprising considering her other issues. I do hope that this does not turn out to be the case, she has enough problems as it is.

I posted that as soon as we god the blood test results back. On physical,assessment she does seem to be improving. The blood work showed no improvement in cholesterol levels, however.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Pajarita wrote:There is no problem giving the ACV and the antifungal. And it is stress, John. A depressed immune system is the only way a parrot gets a fungal infection. You might want to keep Ocean in a different room and spend more time with her. But why did they gavage? Has she lost a lot of weight? Gavage is so stressful to them...

Ocean is with me or my son whenever we are home, which is most of the time.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:52 pm

I am putting a half-teaspoon of ACV in Ocean's water. It's around a cup of water.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:59 am

Navre wrote:Tanya's cholesterol was unchanged after a month or so on the Cholestrymine. There is some question about how long the medicine is good for after it's mixed. I refrigerate it, but because it's a human drug, usually mixed and then immediately used, they aren't sure if it's losing its potency sitting in the refrigerator. We are going to try mixing a new batch every week and see if that helps. Tanya will go back in 2 weeks. If she still isn't getting better they will come up with another plan.

Ocean's WBC is better, but still slightly elevated.

This hospital gets lab results back so quickly, usually the same day or the next day.

When you first posted the med she was going to be given, I did a bit of research online and found that, apparently, it doesn't work for birds -that's why I asked you to ask your vet if she had experience with it and if they had given good results. I am no scientist but it seems to me that it might be because the ACAT enzyme and its inhibitor works differently in birds than mammals (don't ask me for details because I couldn't give you a good answer on it, I am just going by the couple of studies I found on this).

Sometimes we can use mammal medicines on birds but, sometimes, they don't work at all. For example, the same type of fiber that 'cleans up' cholesterol in mammals does nothing for birds (they did a study with African greys). Personally, I would try natural supplements... they might not work as fast but added to the good diet, they eventually do the job -at least, that has been my experience.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:04 pm

The vet said that she had used this on birds before, and I've talked to others, through the rescue, who had used lipitor successfully on Hispaniolian Amazons in the past. (That bird, a male, was in Canada. He has since passed away). I don't think any of this is any more than anecdotal, really. Nothing that could be written up as proof.

I have added oatmeal to her gloop, but I don;t know how much she really eats, and again, I'm using it due to it's effectiveness in humans.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:54 pm

I bought a couple of the Mercola full spectrum lights that have been recommended in other threads. Both birds are making a huge racket in there, now that those lights are on.

The lamps are just big. They're not going to fit in the fixtures I had for over the cages. I have them in the overhead fixture in the center of the room.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:54 pm

All of the information that I have read where these lights were tested for helping the bird to produce Vitamin D-3, show them to be ineffective. They do produce enough UV light to allow the bird to see things much more naturally as they see into the UV light spectrum which is invisible to us, without the UV they can't see all of the colors that they would normally see. I never allow my birds to be any closer than 3 feet from my full spectrum light.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions