Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:39 am

You may have posted it before and I just don't remember, but did you get Ocean as a baby or not and do you know her age?

I am concerned that this may be diabetes and it also sounds like there may also be some sort of yeast infection. I can't be sure, but I think diabetes is normally caused by dietary issues and perhaps this can be controlled through diet as well, if it does turn out to be diabetes. I have never know a bird with this problem, so am going to have to do a lot of research if I hope to be helpful. I think that raw apple cider vinegar might be useful in combatting a yeast infection as well as probably watching carbohydrate sources and amounts. Again this is just off the top of my head, wish I knew more. Please keep us updated.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 am

Ocean turns 2 in a couple of days. I've had her since she was about 4 months old.

Her sugar, at 250, is very low. I think diabetes would result in an elevated blood sugar level.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:14 am

Again, this is just off the top of my head and will get back to you later with hopefully more and better information, but I believe that both hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia can result in diabetes.

Most humans with diabetes experience bouts of both high and low levels of sugar in their blood.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:48 am

Usually, when you have a high white cell count and a low glucose level, it means infection (with inflammation which means it's been there for a while -VERY common with birds that don't show symptoms) so I would not worry about the malabsorption possibility (at least, not yet). I also don't think that the infection is fungal (the yeast) because, usually (not always, mind you), fungal infections don't elevate the white cell count -at least, not until they are real bad and that couldn't be the case because you are very careful about observing her. So I would think that -if one goes with the most likely scenario- she has had a subclinical bacterial infection (possibly respiratory) for a little while which must have depressed her immune system allowing the yeast to proliferate.

I don't know what you heard that sounded like a click but the clicking noise in birds lungs is associated with respiratory infections. Canary breeders say that this clicking (or crackling) sound (you have to put your ear on their chest and listen carefully with no background noise of any kind) is the way they cough.

But, now that she is at the clinic, she will, most likely, get a wide spectrum antibiotic and get better. The fact that she never stopped eating or lost any significant weight is indication that it's not major and that it was caught just in time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Her blood sugar is back to normal. Her WBC is elevated and indicates a bacterial infection. She is asymptomatic. Lungs are clear.

She seems to be acting normally. They were concerned that she was refusing to use the perches, but once I explained that she hates vet tape and took the vet take off the perches, she started perching.

She is in an incubator at 85 degrees, but the let me take her out for a while. They just want to observe her for a bit longer. They may let her come home tonight, weather permitting.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Yay, I am so glad to hear that she is getting better.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:01 pm

I have her home.

They did CBC, Gram stain, EX fecal wet mount, Glucose tests. each several times.

They did gavage feeding several times.

They sent her home on .03 ml if Enrofloxacin 2 times a day.

She seems to be her feisty self, although she's confused because she's up after dark.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Reading some other threads, there is talk about mild dehydration.

I have noticed that this batch of gloop, having rolled oats in it, is much dryer than it has been in the past. I wonder if that might be contributing to problems?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 pm

One thing the vet said was to make sure I pulled any wet food (gloop. chop, fruit) after 3-4 hours.

I've read differing opinions on that.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:20 am

The reason that your vet said to pull the food after 3 to 4 hours is bacterial growth as warm, moist food is a prime growth media for the growth of bacteria. This is especially true of moist foods with fruits due to the sugar content. I worry about this possibility a lot, but I also remember all of the years while growing up that the only food that I had to eat was food that had set out all day long or overnight without refrigeration and no one ever got sick from it. I know that might be stretching things a bit but it is true. I have been feeding gloop for three years and have left it in the cage all day long the entire time and have never had a sick bird from doing this.

Logically, I must admit that there is a risk factor, and I think that with some birds I would be extra cautious. these would be birds with an impaired immune system. Your Tanya is one of those birds that I would be more worried about, but as I have said for the past three years I have had no problems with leaving gloop in the cage all day. Use your best judgement.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions