Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks wolf. Good info there. I'm going to start by adding oats to the gloop.

Also, I was wondering about dandelion greens. There is dandelion in the milk thistle extract, but looking at dandelion greens, there is both iron and zinc in them.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:21 pm

When confronted by this type of delimma, I suppose that the thing to do is to cut back on other sources of iron and zinc.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:36 am

The dandelion in the liver tonic is the root, the greens are fine. They do have non-heme iron and zinc in them but not in levels that would be harmful to them if eaten seldom, the biggest problem with them are the oxalates which are super high - but once every ten days or so it's fine (parrots, with the exception of toos, don't really eat that many greens and that is as it should be as they are not meant to).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:57 am

At some point, after several years and 22 pages of posts, this thread outgrew the "introduction" forum.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:08 am

:lol: Yes, it has!

Another thing, I only feed my birds dandelions during the spring and summer, never in the winter - I don't feed anything high in oxalates during the cold weather months.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:29 am

It's getting hard to manage all of Tanya's supplements. I'm giving her drops of Milk Thistle on her gloop in the morning. I mix her water 50:50 with aloe vera juice. I give her her cholesterol med via syringe after she eats.

Later in the day I try to give her some more milk thistle via dropper.

At some other point I try to wash her bottom and her feet.

It seems like I'm constantly bugging her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:34 am

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. It reaches a point that one doesn't know if all this bugging the bird is really helping, right? My solution has been to put the aloe vera, milk thistle and dandelion root in the water and adding methionine, choline and vitamin B6 to the gloop. This way, they get medicine all day long and, although it might take a little longer for them to get to the right levels, at least, it doesn't stress the bird at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:14 pm

I thought I heard something funny in oceans breathing. A click, almost seemed like a hiccough, although I know it can't be because birds don't have diaphragms.

I heard it yesterday, but not today. I took her to the vet today anyhow. Her lungs were clear, trachea was clear, but she started getting lethargic in the ride in. Her blood sugar was low, 250. They decided to admit her, 1-3 days.

She didn't really seem sick, it was just one of those times where I just kind of felt that something wasn't right.

They have no idea what it might be, yet. She seems to be eating, but it may be some sort of malabsorption thing? I don't know.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:42 pm

I am concerned about the low blood sugar. I don't think that it would be a malabsorption type of thing, but it could have something to do with insulin levels or some other pancreatic issue and that is what worries me about it. But on the lighter side of things it could also just be that she may have just needed a snack. If it had actually been a while since she had last eaten then I am sure that there was stress even if it were just due to excitement which probably caused her to use up more energy than normal so that might have been able to lower the blood sugar levels. Just me thinking this through.

I am also concerned and curious about the hiccup type sound and what caused it. I have no idea as to what it is and even more interested in what is going on with that because parrots don't get hiccups.

Please keep us informed as to what is going on with Ocean.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:53 pm

The vet said a blood sugar of 250 is low enough that it always indicates a problem. (I asked about her needing a snack)

So far they know she has a slightly elevated WBC and possible some yeast in her droppings.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions