Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:59 am

Yes, if you have breathing issues (I have mild COPD), a dust bird is never recommended UNLESS it lives in its own room with a large air purifier all year round (like I do) but, in order for that to work out, you need two birds of the same species and they need to be bonded because you won't be able to spend too many hours in there and the bird (especially a gray - and it's real hard to get them to bond to another bird, mind you!) would be real lonely.

Personally, in your case, I would go with a mate for the GCC - and, if you want another species, just get another little conure (my female GCC is bonded to an old, handicapped, male peachfront and they adore each other).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:06 pm

My breathing issues are from being a firefighter in a large city for 20 years. My most recent test was 32% of expected, but that really is enough to do most things. I was running ultra marathons 4 years ago.

I want to find a rescue bird who adopts me, not the other way around. Male birds don't seem to ever make that connection with me.

So far, at the rescue, it has just been one grey who has really showed an interest in me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 pm

That is all it takes. You do as you feel is best in regards to that, but we would be remiss if we did not let you know about it. We do care, you know!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:58 pm

What would make her start to act hormonal again? I haven't spent as much time with her the past few days, maybe that's it? Her light schedule is still sunrise to sunset.

I've also noticed a couple of birds at the rescue, a Tiny little blue and gold macaw, and a mealy, were acting hormonal today, and I had not noticed that with those birds before. I know that sometimes deer have a secondary rut, does a similar thing happen with birds? These are all South American birds.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:15 pm

I don't know if this is one of them, but some species of parrots have not one, but two breeding seasons a year.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:24 pm

It doesn't matter where they are from. I know that lots of people in the net would say that birds 'stick' to their place of origin breeding season but this is nothing but bunk which, if you think about it, completely denies evolution (adaptation been what makes a 'good' mutation successful).

I don't know what kind of light schedule or diet they have at the rescue but, although I don't know this rescue's husbandry, in my personal experience, rescues are not what one would call very careful about diet and light schedule.

I also don't know if you are talking about your GCC or the gray at the rescue that has bonded to you but, if it is the gray, it's because the days are getting shorter and, if it's the GCC, it could be her age (I forget how old she is but she could be starting or going through puberty) and/or diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Pajarita wrote:I don't know what kind of light schedule or diet they have at the rescue but, although I don't know this rescue's husbandry, in my personal experience, rescues are not what one would call very careful about diet and light schedule.

I also don't know if you are talking about your GCC or the gray at the rescue that has bonded to you but, if it is the gray, it's because the days are getting shorter and, if it's the GCC, it could be her age (I forget how old she is but she could be starting or going through puberty) and/or diet.

They grey at the rescue acts hormonal, but always has around me.

My GCC at home, and a B+G at the rescue, and Marvin the mealy at the rescue all seemed hormonal yesterday. It was new for the birds at the rescue, and my bird hasn't acted that way for a while. My bird was hatched in January of '14.

The lights at the rescue go on when someone gets there, well after sunrise at this time of year, and go off when they close the place up, probably around 4 or 5. The way the building is, the birds aren't going to get a whole lot of natural light. There are windows, so the building is brighter after "lights out" in August than after "lights out" in January, but as far as seeing the sunrise and sunset, that doesn't happen.

They don't get pellets at the rescue. They get a mixture of about a billion different fruits and vegetables every morning. Sometimes it is lightly run through the food processor so that the more picky birds get some of everything instead of just picking out their favorite stuff, sometimes it is chopped up more coarsely.
They get a bowl of some sort of seed mixture or something in the afternoon. They get treats such as almonds or pistachios mostly when we are trying to socialize them.
I know there is a special food for Marvin, the Mealy. He gets the chop in the morning, but I think he gets something different in the afternoon.
There is a beautiful eclectus in quarantine. I don't know if he is getting the same diet as everyone else, or not. I know they are tricky.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:04 am

Well, there's your answer. Short day breeders (grays, toos, psittaculas, etc) are broody right now and your bird is going through puberty.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:43 am

I think my GCC loves me, but my son just came home from 10 weeks in Estonia. Wow, was she glad to see him. She puffs out the feathers on her cheeks for him and for nobody else. Through the curtain, she saw him coming down the stairs, and she flew over to the curtain and hovered like a hummingbird waiting for him to come into the room. She'd fly back to my shoulder and then right back to hovering in front of the curtain. (The curtains are to keep her in her rooms, but they are sheer and she can see through the. Pretty well, it would seem. )
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

Awww, how wonderful for both of them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions