Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:40 am

Yes, be careful of the bar separation because even if they can't get out, they can get their head stuck and hurt themselves. As to the sand perch, unless it's the plastic kind that has a smooth top and bottom and just the sides with the rough finish, please do not use it. It can cause bumble foot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Yes, the dowel is held by a couple of screws. i can try to replace it with something else. Ocean spends a lot of time up there. The bar spacing seems okay for a GCC

The windows are open at this time of year. I can see him stop and listen when he hears a bird, especially the scream of a blue jay. He then answers on the next call. I don't think I'd try to suppress communication with other birds outside. The cold weather and closed windows might break him of the habit.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:08 pm

I have been known to take a pocket knife to the dowel rods and cut different sized scallops out of it all over some even overlapping so that the surface is all uneven, and then reattaching it. I recycle most anything that I can.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 am

Yes, routers work very well on dowels, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:04 am

They sure do, but usually I am working in the house, mostly on a carving so I tend to fix the dowels at the same time. And it allows me to play with the birds as sometimes they go wild for my shavings and parings. I only work with bird safe woods in the house.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Harpmaker » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Wolf wrote:I have been known to take a pocket knife to the dowel rods and cut different sized scallops out of it all over some even overlapping so that the surface is all uneven, and then reattaching it. I recycle most anything that I can.

I did that for the dowel perch that came with the cage, but Corsair kept trying to help, so she had to stay in her cage while I worked on it.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:52 pm

The idea of modifying the dowels I have is a good one.

Also, the sand perch I have is one of the plastic ones with no sand on the top.

The shower perch has grit all over. There is on in the shower that he won't be on often at all, and one I use on a window. I'll try to cover that one up with some other type of material. Maybe vet tape.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 pm

How much time does your bird spend on the one in the window?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Wolf wrote:How much time does your bird spend on the one in the window?

She (I'm thinking she) has never been on it yet. She's scared of it.

Right now, because it's warm, she'll occasionally sit on the window sill and yell at the sparrows who seem to love the growing brown patch on my lawn. (I think I have grubs).
She'll generally only sit there if I'm there with her. If I leave, she'll follow.

I got the two shower perches at mysafebirdstore.com. It should be easy enough to cover up the sandy perch if she ends up wanting to spend any amount of time on it. The plan was to use it on the sliding glass door so she could look out there.

I still have to work on getting her to eat more fruit. She devours watermelon, but this results in VERY watery droppings. She will eat cantaloupe. She toys with strawberries and pineapple, rejects blueberries.
She'll chew up green beans, but I don't think she's actually ingesting much. She'll pick out every piece of carrot and drop it out of the cage. She really likes the pellets. I bought the brand that the pet store had been feeding. I'm going to try to give her fewer and fewer a she gets better adjusted.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Try peeling or smashing the blueberries, my birds will eat them but only when they know what is on the inside of them. They could easily bite through to get the inside but they don't. Try shredding your carrot or even cooking them first. They can be so picky about how they like their fruits and veggies.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions