Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:44 am

seagoatdeb wrote:Gaugan will fly to the floor and peck the toes of anyone approaching a parrot she is jealous of. It is amazing how this litttle parrot can scare so many people, when she does this they will shuffle backwards, so she scares them away from the other parrot.


:lol: You should see people yelping, jumping on one foot first and then the other and trying to back off all at the same time when Freddie goes for their feet! What they don't realize is that it's their reaction that makes him go after them and that if they would only calmly put their hand down when he first touches their feet, he would step up without a problem.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 15513
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Pajarita wrote:
seagoatdeb wrote:Gaugan will fly to the floor and peck the toes of anyone approaching a parrot she is jealous of. It is amazing how this litttle parrot can scare so many people, when she does this they will shuffle backwards, so she scares them away from the other parrot.


:lol: You should see people yelping, jumping on one foot first and then the other and trying to back off all at the same time when Freddie goes for their feet! What they don't realize is that it's their reaction that makes him go after them and that if they would only calmly put their hand down when he first touches their feet, he would step up without a problem.


Yes it is their reaction all right. lol....It must feel very powerfull for a tiny bird to scare off the big humans with just a couple toe pecks...lol...I never let it scare me off, so she doesnt bother to do that to me.
User avatar
seagoatdeb
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 1257
Location: Kelowna, BC Canada
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:46 am

Same here. He does walk over to my feet and gently touches my shoes with his beak to let me know he is there and that we wants to be picked up but he doesn't even open his beak to do it. My husband thinks he does it this way to me because I am the only one he would not bite but it's not true! It's because he knows that I will understand what he is asking and give it to him. With the other people, once they start jumping and backing off, the whole thing becomes a game to him (he is the biggest clown!) and jumps right after them and, as he can hop real fast (and I do mean REAL fast!), the people think he is attacking them - but he is not! He is the sweetest, sweetest bird ever!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 15513
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Tanya had quite a day today. I got a call from the vet that her test results were back, and that her high cholesterol is a result of LDL cholesterol. They are prescribing .5 ml of Cholestyramine once
a day. I went down to Angell to pick up her meds, about a 2 hour round tip. In that time Tanya managed to tangle herself all up in a string from one of the flannel sheets she was sleeping on. It took a while to untangle her. I'm going to start her on her new med tomorrow. She's been through enough today. I'm only using the fleece from on. She has been pulling apart the flannel and it's just not worth the risk. The flannel was under the fleece, for absorbancy, but she managed to pull it out.
Navre
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1866
Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Would you be able to use Velcro to hold the fleece in place on top of the flannel?
Wolf
Macaw
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 8679
Location: Lansing, NC
Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:43 am

Wolf wrote:Would you be able to use Velcro to hold the fleece in place on top of the flannel?

I'm just going to use enough fleece to do a complete wrap.
Navre
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1866
Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby liz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:15 am

seagoatdeb wrote:
Pajarita wrote:
seagoatdeb wrote:Gaugan will fly to the floor and peck the toes of anyone approaching a parrot she is jealous of. It is amazing how this litttle parrot can scare so many people, when she does this they will shuffle backwards, so she scares them away from the other parrot.


:lol: You should see people yelping, jumping on one foot first and then the other and trying to back off all at the same time when Freddie goes for their feet! What they don't realize is that it's their reaction that makes him go after them and that if they would only calmly put their hand down when he first touches their feet, he would step up without a problem.


Yes it is their reaction all right. lol....It must feel very powerfull for a tiny bird to scare off the big humans with just a couple toe pecks...lol...I never let it scare me off, so she doesnt bother to do that to me.



They like noise other than their own. Rambo used to flog men. He would call Chuck then jump him. He used to hide behind the toilet to get Aunt Betty. She was always good for a loud scream.
User avatar
liz
Macaw
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 7182
Location: Hernando FL
Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Navre wrote:Tanya had quite a day today. I got a call from the vet that her test results were back, and that her high cholesterol is a result of LDL cholesterol. They are prescribing .5 ml of Cholestyramine once
a day. I went down to Angell to pick up her meds, about a 2 hour round tip. In that time Tanya managed to tangle herself all up in a string from one of the flannel sheets she was sleeping on. It took a while to untangle her. I'm going to start her on her new med tomorrow. She's been through enough today. I'm only using the fleece from on. She has been pulling apart the flannel and it's just not worth the risk. The flannel was under the fleece, for absorbancy, but she managed to pull it out.


Has the doctor ever prescribed cholestyramine to other parrots and gotten good results in lowering the blood cholesterol levels? Because I researched about it and could not find any reference of it been used with pet parrots... This is, of course, your decision but, in case you had not done any research about it, I did and this is what I found:

The only avian studies I could find that gave serum cholesterol levels were these:
1) http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 0000100015 and they found no lowering of the levels with it (the study was actually more like an experiment to see if they could feed it to hens and thereby reduce the amount of cholesterol in the eggs they produced but they tested serum cholesterol, too).

2) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1963800836 This one was on atherosclerosis on pigeons with high cholesterol and fast thyroid but it also found that the drug had no effect on cholesterol levels.

3) I also found this one which did not mention cholesterol at all but found that it inhibited absorption of dietary MTDs and LTDs in chicks: http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... ccess=true

4) and there is a trial going on to use it to treat cormorans poisoned by red algae but there are no results on it yet:
http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/v ... oaytI-cHmI

I have to tell you, I don't like treating parrots with medicines that are not proven to work on them. Now, granted that few medicines are actually approved for them so somebody's bird needs to be the guinea pig... it's only that I rather it wasn't one of mine. I would much rather treat with natural supplements and diet than give them unproven medicines... Which reminds me that I was thinking about Tanya yesterday as I was working on a diet and treatment for the new sun conure and could not remember whether I had told you to treat her with methionine and choline - did I? Because they are always part of my initial detox treatment, especially with fatty liver.

Just my two cents.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 15513
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:25 pm

I think she said she had treated with this before, and that she really should write that case up.

I don't think you've mentioned those two supplements before. Right now she is getting Milk Thistle/Dandelion
Navre
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1866
Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm

There are several grains that help to reduce cholesterol and there are a few of them in this topic
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13460 Where I did a nutritional breakdown for some of them for Liz. Since Tanya has an inability to get much exercise is probably also a contributing factor to her cholesterol, I am not sure what else can be done to lower it.
Wolf
Macaw
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 8679
Location: Lansing, NC
Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests

Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store