Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

An old bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: An old bird

Postby alienlady » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 am

That is a shame I do hope you manage to solve the problem. I have seen the clear film in shops here so they are probably available on Amazon. :P
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Georges mom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am

Update on George.... Hawks are gone!! Found out it really wasn't George they were targeting though I'm sure he was a nice bonus. The Hawks were starting to come one right after another and finally realized it was chipmunks they were hunting. I have a tree close to the house that I hang bird feeders from. Birds would come in droves to eat, seeds would drop to the lawn, chipmunks were coming to eat the seeds on the ground and the Hawks would swoop down and eat the chipmunks. It was a feeding frenzy for all. I had Hawks on my deck, my roof every tree in the yard some even came in real close and landed in the grill on the patio. Had to get rid of bird feeders my husband was unglued with all happening. Now for George, just had him to vet for full checkup. She said he was beautiful upon his appearance and office just called and said the same about all oh his labs. His weight is exactly the same and she trimmed his nails and had to have a smitch taken off his beak for it was a bit to long and should of broken off but hadn't. She said for an older bird his health is excellent. I couldn't be happier :) . Last time she did his labs was right after I got him and she said they were ok. I've taken all the advice from everyone here regarding his diet and care and thanks to all of you he's gone from OK to excellent labs. :thumbsup:
Georges mom
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Great news!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:22 am

Yes, indeed! Very good news! It means you are doing a good job, too! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 am

That's fantastic news ! So happy to hear it :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Georges mom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello everyone.......just checking in to say hey and update you. I'm approaching my 2nd year anniversary with George and can believe how time flies. The house has quieted down again for our youngest moved out and I no lager watch my granddaughter as my daughter in law had another baby and will be staying home now for a few years until they are in school. I don't know if George is happy or sad about it. When the baby was here (730-5) he remained caged but had lots of commotion and attention. And my youngest always tried to get Georges attention but he was very fickle with her but nonetheless enjoyed her effort. Now it's back to just me and occasionally my husband but when people come over he gets very aggressive and chases them. It's the same people who've always either lived here or always visited. He knows them all! he chased my sister thru the whole kitchen into the laundry room where she had to close the door. Same thing with my son. What's up with this aggression? He always liked everybody and everybody liked him. He'd get treats from them and they all talked to him. Why is he so anti social now with people? He and I are great. His behavior towards me is completely unchanged. Lots of love :)
Georges mom
Conure

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Georges mom wrote:Hello everyone.......just checking in to say hey and update you. I'm approaching my 2nd year anniversary with George and can believe how time flies. The house has quieted down again for our youngest moved out and I no lager watch my granddaughter as my daughter in law had another baby and will be staying home now for a few years until they are in school. I don't know if George is happy or sad about it. When the baby was here (730-5) he remained caged but had lots of commotion and attention. And my youngest always tried to get Georges attention but he was very fickle with her but nonetheless enjoyed her effort. Now it's back to just me and occasionally my husband but when people come over he gets very aggressive and chases them. It's the same people who've always either lived here or always visited. He knows them all! he chased my sister thru the whole kitchen into the laundry room where she had to close the door. Same thing with my son. What's up with this aggression? He always liked everybody and everybody liked him. He'd get treats from them and they all talked to him. Why is he so anti social now with people? He and I are great. His behavior towards me is completely unchanged. Lots of love :)

i expect what is happening is that George has now identified very strongly with his "flock" and that is now your husband and you. He is protecting his territory and flock. You will need to work on teaching him how to behave with people and rewarding good behavior.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 am

It's that he has found what I call his place in the flock. People usually think that the 'adjustment' process is the honeymoon period and that it lasts a couple of months or so but, in my personal experience, it takes about two years for a bird to feel completely comfortable in its new home and to show his true colors. But he could also be overly hormonal... I don't want to presume but if he was exposed to light from 7:30 am to 5pm every single day for the last two years, there, in a nutshell, is your problem. Male amazons are VERY protective of their territory when hormonal, especially if they have identified a 'mate' -which appears to be you. I have to cage mine when people are going to come into the parrot room during breeding season and even when noboby is coming but Precie is sitting on eggs because I don't trust the male not to attack people or even other birds - but they've been 'free' for some weeks now because it's no longer breeding season for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 pm

Hello hello hello!!!! Haven't checked in for quite sometime and just wanted to update everyone on George. He is wonderful!! I can't believe I've had him 2-1/2 years already. In some ways he's really calmed down and is very set in his routine. He truly is a creature of habit and doesn't like when things get jostled. We have our play time every day but his favorite thing is just sitting by me. I have portable perchs to accommodate that. in my comings and goings my husband says he will scream mama for 10 minutes. Upon walking in he runs towards me like the dog. He does seem to growl more at people when they come over and will go sit in his cage for a bit. The house is quite active and he's use to people and knows everyone but he's just growling more and I don't know why. He just had his yearly check up and his labs were practically perfect the vet said. I do give him an occasional no no treat but I try to adhere to a strict diet with him. I eat clean and so does he. I do have a funny tale to share though and am wondering if anyone else has done this...... When we go on vacations we're fortunate that our daughter will stay here and pet sit . When calling to check on things I will FaceTime with everyone and well my dog does not get it she just runs to the door looking for me but George now will come right up to the screen and give me his foot as to step up. I'll actually talk with him for awhile and he's so happy to see me. It's the cutest thing. I'm sure I'm still just so new to the parrot world but it's things like that which totally amaze me. Does anybody else do this with their birds??
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 am

Great to hear from you and thank you for coming back and giving us an update! I only go on vacations every 5 or 6 years and have not done any face-time with them in the past so I cannot tell you if mine would or not. I am going on vacation next February to my country of birth for a big family reunion but I won't be doing face-time with them then either because I think that it's best if they don't hear or see me until I come back.

As to his growling... well, it seems to me that, although you think he is used to people coming and going, in reality, he is not because, if he was [which would be completely unnatural for a parrot anyway], he would not have such a reaction. Growling for a zon is a serious thing... I mean, they don't do it when they are just discomfited about something [they usually choose to ignore you when they feel this way, sometimes, literally turning their back on you :lol: ], they only do it when they are VERY upset and as a serious warning. Two of mine used to do it when they first came but no longer do - but then, I hardly ever allow strangers into the birdroom and, when I do, it's a quick 'look-but-don't-talk-loud-or-get-close' kind of thing. On the other hand, the old ladies, Naida and Mami, don't mind seeing strangers and, although Naida will ignore them, Mami will talk and sing her heart out for them :lol: but, again, I don't allow anybody close to them and the visits are always quite short.

Why do you say that his blood work came back 'practically' perfect? What was askew that it was not 'completely' perfect?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions