Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

An old bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: An old bird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Yes, but the problem with wood shims is that they hardly ever tell you what kind of wood they are and I've seen some made out of cedar which is a NO-NO for birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 pm

The ones I bought said pine.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Then you are good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Bought George the wood and he liked it for a day. He's decided that my baseboards and coffee table are much better. I can't believe how obsessed he's become with it. I've taken to putting pillows around everywhere ( I call them my bird guards) but he just climbs up on them until they fall then goes after the wood. I even put a super large table cloth over the coffee table to where nothing was visible and he found an opening and just stayed under there chewing away. He's driving me nuts. I can use some ideas here on how to detour him away from the wood around the house. Anyone???
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby liz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:24 pm

If you find a solution let me know.

Rainbow was trying to pick a hole in the wall behind the toilet. I sealed that area with safe wood for her to chew on. He did not want that wood and started on the vanity. I had to shut him out of the bathroom. He has started on the doorway and baseboards. I too use pillows. She does climb them and knock them over.
Like I said before, Rainbow is equivalent to a 5 year old in knowledge. So why does he keep trying over and over again to get his way. I put him out of the bathroom so many times one day that he pulled the old aim for the door but walk backwards trick.

Myrtle flies so she is attacking my kitchen doors. She has even chewed through part of the seal on the freezer. My son is putting metal trim on everything. She just finds an unprotected place to chew again. She is equivalent to a 2 year old. 2 year olds know what "get out" or "stop that" means.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Georges mom » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Here's a story..... I've had George now for a year and have sat daily with him talking, singing with him and have never had him repeat me. He came to me saying mama, hello and good morning but that's about it. Occasionally he'd yell a new word here and there but for the most part he just likes to whistle, scream mama and do his call outs. This evening everyone cleared out after dinner and I think George thought he was alone. I was upstairs when I heard "hello pretty boy, hello handsome George and mommy loves George". I came back downstairs quietly and walked in the family room and he was sitting in his extended side perch whirling his head around like when we dance. I told him " I know you talk George " and he just gave me a chirp. Why won't he talk in front of me??
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby liz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:37 am

My cabinets have a vanier on them. While I was cooking I could hear Rainbow making happy noises behind me. By the time I looked down he had stripped the coating half off one door and was starting on the other. It is worse than any of Myrtles stripping. I plan to buy untreated pine wood to make things that can be chewed up. I will have to tell them no and chase them away for them to decide it is something to be destroyed. They have to chew. I am just trying to keep them chewing on safe things.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 am

Wish I could tell you why George does not talk to you directly, but I have no idea. Mimi will talk to almost anyone, while Kookooloo will not speak to anyone but me, she won't even speak if there is anyone other than me in the same room as she is in.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 am

Don't worry about his not talking in front of you, he will. Some birds like to practice alone before they start talking 'in company'.

As to his chewing your baseboard and furniture, well, personally, I have learned not to fight them because, in my personal experience, it never works. What I do is allow them to do WHAT they want BUT not TO WHAT they want to do it to. So I simply 'cover' the spots they like to chew with 'chewable material'. In the birdroom, I have pieces of wood covering the baseboard as well as all the moldings around the doors and the windows and, when they are chewed down, I just change them for new ones. And the two zons in my dining room have branches, boxes and pieces of wood to chew but they also have covers all around the moldings near them (but these are more discreet and painted with the same paint as the 'real' ones so they don't stand out like a sore thumb when people visit). Try putting 1 x 4s all along the baseboard where he chews and making a U piece from them to cover the edge of the coffee table - this way, he will be happy that he is chewing the stuff he likes but he won't be damaging your moldings or furniture. Living with a happy parrot always implies a household that is NOT aesthetically perfect - you won't get anybody from Homes and Gardens taking pictures of your home but you will have a happy parrot :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 pm

I have found that all my parrots , once they chew a spot it is almost impossible to get them to quit zeroing in on that particular area. But I have experimented a bit and if I wood fill and repainted that spot they move on to another area. The color change in the area of wood they have chewed seems to be what attracts them or maybe the imperfection. :roll: I to have the pillow blockaids but recently have purchased tons of untreated trim and doing pajarita's trick , I also have a big chew tree in my front room with all kinds of hanging chunks of wood they will migrate to. I also hang there birdie kabobs from it so they can all go terrorize it and snack when they want. Seems to keep them busy for a little while anyway. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions