Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

An old bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: An old bird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:22 am

Indeed, Gail, you have hit the nail on the head! Like I always say, it's not the bird that needs to change, it's the human! We are the ones that require the 'attitude adjustment', not them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks, Pajarita. I admit that I still have flashes of hurt feelings, embarrassment, stuff like that. And those doggone YouTube how-to videos with all those well-behaved little Green Cheeks and mellow macaws don't help much!

But then, I'm recording some behavior or other (here it's his clicking swagger) and out of the blue he looks me right in the eye and croaks out "Hrllo, Gail!" and I just surrender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXB7Sp_luA
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Georges mom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 pm

I've only been a parrot owner for 10 months and I can honestly say im really in tuned to HIS body language. For the most part he's always up for fun but I really try to keep an eye on his feathers and posture. Both can change in a blink. I had such a fear of him in the beginning and maybe it's still there a bit, but I just don't want to get bitten. He's bit my husband, sister and our daughter who had recently moved back home. My husband and sister both had deep slices in their fingers but my daughter shook him off fast. They were all giving him a treat when the bite occurred because they want so badly for him to like them. I told them to let him come to them and don't approach him anymore. After the blood , bandages and tetanus shots I don't think they'll ever try again. George loves commotion, attention and his personal space. I always let him come to me and by me when he wants which is all day every day. However there have been days to where he's not very sociable and I respect that. I would really love to squeeze and hug and kiss him though!!
Georges mom
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby galeriagila » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:35 am

That's the whole trick, yes!
Let THEM be in charge of whatever attention they receive, as much as possible.
I just remind myself... this is not a domesticated animal!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:06 am

:lol: Well, I am afraid that you will NEVER be able to hug and squeeze him... you might be able to sneak a kiss on the top of his head though. Amazons are not a 'cuddly' species. They appreciate lots of company, they get very jealous of their human and they do learn to love us but, usually, they are not 'touchy-feely' birds. And they can be moody, too! I got a small bite from Mami two days ago - nothing major, just a hard nip that, because it happened on the very tip of my index finger, it did make a small cut there (their beaks are sharp and very strong!) but it was mostly my fault that it happened. The dogs were been 'stupid' (barking and carrying on) because people were coming in (unannounced!) so I was trying to get all the birds back in their cages and, when I put my finger to her, she bit it as she climbed up but, although I did call her a 'Naughty bird!', I did not hold it against it because I knew that it had been due to the commotion (which they are not used to, at all!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:55 pm

The only cuddly 'zon I ever encountered was Tanya, my hispaniolian. I suspect that was due to her disability and the amount of hands-on care she needed, rather than the species.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:01 am

Yes, sick or weakened birds are always sweet tempered and tolerate much more than a healthy one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:39 pm

galeriagila wrote:I don't have a lot of experience with birds in general, but I have a lot of experience with ONE.

My rambling two cents...

G

My usual narrative...
I have reduced biting to almost zero over the decades... not because I've changed the bird, but I have changed me. And a lot of that has involved giving up on a lot of my desires/expectations. After years of battle, I surrendered. I don't do stuff that gets me bitten. I don't scratch his head much, ever... tail is okay. I NEVER do stuff that makes him mad... I don't touch others when he's out; I rarely try to get him to step up onto my hand first. Hand-held perch first, then hand. In some ways, I swallow my disappointment at having such a little monster for a pet, but he is what he is. I ALWAYS wear my hair down when he's on my shoulder, so all he can bite is hair. Hey, he's one generation out of the wilds of Patagonia!
So I guess what I'm saying is... wherever the dust settles... after you have followed all the best advice... please let it be okay. Don't do stuff that gets you bitten... take whatever ridiculous precautions needed and just love your little maniac.
But please... listen to and try all the good advice you'll get here. Don't surrender until you know you've done your best. Then just accept it, is what I'm trying to say.

Very powerfull statement here and is so on the mark. The parrot is intelligent and has its own personality and its own ideas of what should be and you have to learn to work with that and be okay with that.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby galeriagila » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:29 am

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

It took me quite a few years, but...

Everything got pretty simple when I finally GOT IT!

Thank you.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Georges mom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:46 pm

I have 2 questions: First, where exactly are amazons ears and can I hurt them when scratching his head? Secondly, what does that head bobbing thing mean? Ever since I got George I sit every day with him and sing the same song. He's always loved the songs and would dance or sway to the music. Now and with other interactions he really bobs his head up and down . He stays very close to me when he does it but I don't know what he's trying to tell me. It's so stinking cute too!! Is it a love or hate sign?
As always, answers appreciated.
Georges mom
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions