Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

An old bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: An old bird

Postby Georges mom » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Yes it does and thank you very much :amazon:
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby liz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 am

My suggestion is to allow more out time. Not only can he exersize better but you give him the respect of trusting him and he will recipracate. I know I did not spell it right.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Georges mom » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Well you guys were right about the bath water. Georges preference is cold water. Really cold water. He absolutely loves it. I've made some of the gloop stuff and he loves it too. I've also discovered that he knows the command of "George go back to your cage". Someone at sometime in his life gave him a lot of time and attention and trained him well. I just happen to stumble on what he knows. He's sooo smart. I just love him :amazon:
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:46 am

Great steps all in the right direction :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Well I have big news!! Although George and I are always together I still haven't had the nerve to touch him and apparently he decided to make the first move. This evening right before I was ready to close up his cage he came over to me on his favorite outside perch ( which he always does) and bowed his head very very low. He has bowed his head before but picks it up real fast in the past. Tonite though he bowed very very low and stayed still so I took 2 fingers and scratched his head and neck. He didn't move for about a minute. When I stopped he looked up. I think he smiled lol. I'm beyond thrilled!!!
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:16 am

I can't say much about whether or not he smiled as I am not sure if they actually can or not, but I have been left with that impression with my birds now and then. It is wonderful that he asked you to give him scratches, I really enjoy the feeling when mine ask for scratches.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Georges mom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm concerned....... This past week I have found 2 large feathers in Georges cage. He puts them in his treat dish which I remove every evening. He doesn't seem to be molting for there are no white fuzzies. I don't seem him picking or pecking at himself and he is out pretty much all day and with me for a lot of it. Another thing I've noticed is sometimes he gives off an odor it's a pungent odor too. It doesn't happen all the time just when he's really close to me. He bathes every 4/5 days. Maybe he just smells and I'm just noticing it now. I don't know. I've given him some floor toys that he's become obsessed with and he gets so mad when I touch them or close him up in his cage. I play with him when he's out on the floor with the toys and he just loves it. But wow does he get mad when it's time to stop. He's talking more and more and I even get a good morning from him as soon as I uncover him. He screams mama a lot more now too if Im out of sight for awhile. I've been giving him more table food ( all healthy foods) and I've made that gloop and he just loves it. So, should I be concerned with the feathers? Should I remove the floor toys or limit his time with them?Would appreciate thoughts and opinions! :amazon:
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:45 am

I would not be too concerned with the loss of a feather now and then as it is pretty much a normal occurrence for birds. That does not mean that I would not inspect the feathers that you find for signs of plucking or barbering. That would be unusually frayed feathers or the feather shaft having been chewed. If the feather looks good then I would not be concerned at all.

The issue of odor with Amazons is also a natural thing and some people like it and others don't. I do not understand everything about it but some people say that their Amazons smell like tropical flowers in the rainforest, while other people will thing that the very same bird gives off a pungent odor that they find unpleasant. I don't know why this is but the bird's smell is different for different people. I think that my YNA female smells like flowers and like yours I do not smell it all of the time. But that is all that I have to share about this thing.

Many birds are somewhat possessive about things, it could be a toy or just about anything else that you could imagine. Kiki, Senegal is not normally allowed in the kitchen, but sometimes to take her around the house especially into the sunroom I have to pass through the kitchen/ dining room area and if I am too slow in passing through it she makes a beeline to the coffee maker. Once their she uses body language to inform us that any attempt to remove her from her coffee maker will result in severe bites. Go figure !

I am not sure what to tell you to do about this possessiveness thing. With Kiki, I do not allow her to remain on my coffee maker any longer than it takes me to protect myself from her bites. She will be possessive about other items as well such as shoes and if they are my leather boots, I don't get too awful concerned and just leave her alone. If she goes after tennis shoes or other types with a rubber like sole or edging I make her leave them alone as she tears big chunks out of those and I don't want to run the risk of her ingesting any of this type of material. So with my birds, I kind of figure that unless it might be unsafe for them or if they are regurgitating on it or trying to have sex with it I do not bother them about it. Even then there are really no right or wrong answers. I will place some of these special things that they are showing sexual behaviors with in their cage for them to play with there. I don't often go into my birds cages while they are in them as this is the space that they are most often territorial about as they perceive it as their nesting area and they will often defend it. If I want to interact with them I open their cage so that they can come out when they want. Most often when they have a special toy that they will defend it is a sexual thing and I feel that they are just like all of the rest of us and that since this is a natural drive that they need to have some way of releasing these tensions which is why I usually put those toys in their space and do nothing more other than cleaning these toys a bit more often. And that is also why I can't really give you any more advice than what I have just done. I have worked with animals all of my life and as long as their attempts at sexual release are not causing problems, I try to leave them in peace without trying to control it, I am not one to be embarrassed by this and with birds unless you say something most people would have no idea what the bird is doing any way.

I hope that you and George find this useful.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:37 am

I tell them they smell "just like chicken".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Georges mom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:41 pm

Ok thanks again for all the advice. I wil put some of his small toys on the bottom of his cage at the end of the day. He can bring them out if he wants to in the morning. I gave him a medium cardboard box that he's designed now as a bird cave. He has carved out doors on each side and likes to store his toys in there. He guards it like a soldier. He's so darn smart and like I said before someone at sometime trained him very well. He is so responsive to everything and he's very obedient. He knows the word no and will stop immediately as soon as you say it and he returns to his cage when you tell him to go back to his cage. I'm constantly in awe with him. I just love him. One thing he's started to do when I hand feed him is he goes to nip at another finger not hard but a peck then he'll take the treat. Don't know what that's about just hope it doesn't lead to a bite. He likes to test the waters with everything. Didn't know a bird could be such fun. I just love him.
Georges mom
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions