Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

An old bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: An old bird

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:48 am

Wow, it is kind of hard to describe exactly where their ears are. I even took a long look at Mimi's head to see if there were something that I could use to describe their location, but her ear coverts don't look any different than the rest of the feathers on the sides of her head, but they will be almost directly behind her eyes maybe a quarter of an inch and perhaps just a little lower. Still their ears are internal with just a hole at the surface of the skin, so it is very doubtful that you can hurt them with the amount of pressure that the bird will allow when you rub or scratch his head.

As for the head bobbing thing, there could be a variety of reasons one of which is simply rearranging food in the crop. Another possibility is that it is a hormonal response. Kookooloo, my Grey is in her second breeding cycle and she does this on a regular basis , but she also does it when she is happy and pleased with herself ot in greeting to me, so these are also possibilities. Since Amazons should not be in breeding mode, I would guess that it is a pleased or happy reaction to your presence.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:45 pm

The ears are halfway down the head, between the beak and the eyes but a bit to the back.

It's hard to tell without actually seeing the movement but it seems to me that he is trying to regurgitate for you - which would mean that he is hormonal and amazons are all done with breeding behaviors until next year (they are long day breeders) so, please, re-evaluate his light schedule and diet to see if anything there could be making him produce sexual hormones out of season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 pm

His light schedule and diet are all spot on and he has finished with the molt and is all smooth and gorgeous again. He was a bit scruffy looking during the molt and that made me nervous. Out of curiosity I tried something new with George today other than the singing and dancing, both which bring on the head bobbing. I pulled out a pull toy and played follow the leader and he was crazy with it. Afterwards when he went up on his cage side perch, I sat by him and he looked at me and bobbed. I'm thinking it was what Wolf said, he's just happy. He likes to play, he loves attention and he likes it only with me. I'm learning how big their personalities can be. It's so amazing and so fun. I am a little saddened how disenchanted he's become with other family members though. Maybe that's just the way he is once he settled in and the newness wore off. He doesn't even really acknowledge anyone but me. Guess he's a one woman man lol.
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby liz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:23 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, sick or weakened birds are always sweet tempered and tolerate much more than a healthy one.

I know my birds are as weird as I am but Amazons can be cuddly. Yesterday I was taking a break and had a throw over me in bed. Rambo climbed up the side of the bed and crawled under with me. He snugged up against my body and wanted scratcher. We played and wrestled under the throw. He was right up against my body when he flipped over so he could use both feet. He even held on with his beak so he could get some leverage. It was a beautiful experience. I love him so much and he does not hold back showing me his love.
Myrtle could not see him but she was suspicious of the movement under the throw.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:44 am

Pajarita wrote:The ears are halfway down the head, between the beak and the eyes but a bit to the back.

It's hard to tell without actually seeing the movement but it seems to me that he is trying to regurgitate for you - which would mean that he is hormonal and amazons are all done with breeding behaviors until next year (they are long day breeders) so, please, re-evaluate his light schedule and diet to see if anything there could be making him produce sexual hormones out of season.

I really must disagree, The ear coverts which cover the ear openings are slightly behind and blow the birds eye, not between the beak and eye.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:52 am

The ;between the eyes and the beak' was meant to illustrate that the ears are halfway down the head from the top to the bottom but it was not really explained correctly because, in reality, the top of the beak is often at the same height as the top of the eyes...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:44 pm

The other day I came home from a board n brush art class and had a huge pine board that I had made. George went absolutely bonkers when he saw the wood. I've had to put it in the basement because of him freaking out just seeing it. He still stares at the basement door and hangs out there now. I'm thinking he was given wood pieces to chew because he was just nuts when he saw the wood. Can I purchase wood pieces at Home Depot for him? If I can please advise types, etc. As always, answers are very much appreciated.
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Untreated white pine or fir 2X4's or boards are good choices.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Georges mom » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Thank you Wolf :thumbsup:
Georges mom
Conure

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:00 am

The shims that are sold at Home Depot and Lowe's are not treated. They make a quick piece of wood for them to chew on.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions