Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New and EXXXXCITED!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New and EXXXXCITED!

Postby galeriagila » Tue May 10, 2016 9:23 pm

Great to find y'all!
I am a transplanted Mexican who shares my home (in Yankeeland) with my 30-year companion Patagonian Conure, (The) Rickeybird (El Ricardito). He is my love, my touchstone, my anchor, my longest successful (nonfamilial) relationship. I have a YouTube movie I made, showing off his singing and talking and antics... gotta figure out how to post it!
Salud!
Gila y Ricardito

EDIT
I'm an artist, and so is my darling bird. I hope I'm not violating rules by showing off his art!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282023763179?ss ... 1555.l2649
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: New and EXXXXCITED!

Postby Wolf » Wed May 11, 2016 1:06 am

Hi and welcome to the forum

I visited your site ( check your PM for more on that) and I got to see your bird and his cage set up. I also saw that the cage was open, a good thing in my opinion, but I wonder if he also has a playstand with other toys to help keep his mind occupied for those times when you can't be there with him. Any way he is a very nice looking bird and I am looking forward to hearing more about him as well as picture of him and stories about your relationship with him or anything else that you might want to share about him.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 11, 2016 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum! I couldn't see any picture of the parrot or the cage, all I got was the ebay spot selling the art.

And WOW, you have a tricague?! They are very rare in captivity (I actually thought there weren't any!), the Argentinian nominate and subspecies are the ones that one sees but I've never heard of anybody having a Chilean tricague! Where in the world did you get him and how long ago? Because they have been listed as endangered for over 30 years and, as there weren't that many in captivity prior this date, I thought it was impossible to find any captive-bred.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 am

Thank you both for the warm welcome!

Si, Pajarita, tengo un Tricahue!
His pictures are in his item description...

Wolf, thank you for all the thoughts and suggestions. Yes, he has (...counting...) four standing perch areas around the house, and I change the toys in his cage every few days (I rotate about ten or so). Also, he has his own television... he seems to enjoy the shopping channels... likes to watch people's faces as they talk. His best "toys", though are his windows. He has a huge panel of windows that look out on a busy street.

Below is a movie I made of him.
30 years old and doesn't look or act a day over 1-2. Wish I aged as little as he has!

Gila :)
Last edited by galeriagila on Wed May 11, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Oh, shoot! I can't tell from the picture because I can't see his chest and belly or tell how big he is... you have him as a Barranquero on ebay but you say he is a Tricahue here, which one is he? Not that it really matters in the end but I would have loved to have confirmed he was, indeed, a tricague and not a Barranquero because I have never heard of a tricahue in captivity - at least, not here in USA.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Here is the corrected link...
Sorry, y'all, for the hassle!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyCdvj ... RRwfLk9gwA
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby galeriagila » Wed May 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Pajarita... you're right... He's a Lesser Patagonian... so few know the differences between Tricahue and Great and Lesser, and/or Barranquero. *I* may not even know it all!
He is a Cyanoliseus patagonus. You'll get a good look at his neck/chest in the movies! He has only a pale ring there, and is about 19 inches long.

Speaking of names... my real name is Gail, and that is what he calls me... Gila is a nickname which he doesn't seem to care for!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 12, 2016 9:40 am

Ahhh, OK, mystery solved. He belongs to the nominate or Lesser Patagonian (Loro Barranquero in Spanish).

There are three subspecies:
1. Greater or bloxami: this is the Tricahue, it's bigger in size and has bright yellow on the belly and bright red on the thighs -lives only in Chile and is near extinction.
2. conlara (looks pretty much like the nominate but it has a dark chest)
3. andinus - coloration distribution like the nominate but all the colors are muted, paler and the areas they cover are smaller.

The reason why I know about these birds is that I was born and raised in Uruguay and, although they are not common, we do get them, especially in the winter BUT only the nominate because the bloxami stays only in Chile, the andinus stays on the Northwest of Argentina and the conlara on the central west and middle of Argentina. I have seen conlaras in the wild when I have gone to Argentina (in the outskirts of La Plata to be more specific) as well as nominates in captivity and I know there are andinus (not many because they are paler and people prefer the brighter colored ones) but not bloxami -which is no surprise as they have been endangered since I was a young girl back home. In Argentina, the nominate, conlara and andinus are all called Loro Barranquero (the translation been 'cliff dwelling parrot' because of their nesting in holes on the sides of cliffs) but the bloxami is always called tricahue or tricague -nobody knows how it's spelled because the word is in mapuche, a language that was never written, only spoken. The actual meaning is not exactly known... they know it comes from the word 'thucau' which means 'big parrot' in mapuche (they are the biggest parrots in Chile) but it also has the suffix 'hue' which means 'place' so they think that the name used today 'tricahue' might have started out as 'thucau-hue' which might have been actually used for 'cliff' as in 'the place of the big parrots' and ended up been used for the species itself. My brother got me a book on them a couple of years ago called “Historia Natural del Loro Tricahue en el Norte de Chile” and that's how I got to learn these interesting tidbits... Want more? They have been living in Chile completely unchanged for 50,000 years and they always sleep surrounded by cacti as protection against predators -cool, isn't it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Thu May 12, 2016 12:14 pm

Well, WOWWWWWWWW, Pajarita!
I've enjoyed watching YouTube videos of their antics in the wild... I knew about the bank-dwelling and some of the other circumstances, but now I consider myself actually educated about the species and variations. Thank you so much! Now I'm gonna go back and read everything you wrote AGAIN!!!!
Your fan,
Gila
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 am

Glad to be of service! I LOVE birds and I am always in awe of how incredible they are so I read everything I can get my hands on if it's about them and, as I have a good memory, I have all kinds of useless information stored in my head :lol:

I have a few books on cue but I will add this one to the bottom of the pile and re-read it to see if I can come up with some other interesting bit for you as well as search for books on the nominate species although I think that their habits are pretty similar to the tricague (this will take some time because I will have to ask my family down in South America to ship it to me).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Introductions