Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to the Parrot ownership world!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: New to the Parrot ownership world!

Postby Jesscat » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:51 am

Sorry I am not very good at explaining this situation. She is very aggressive with everyone's food. Will fly to the kids and be very polite trying to get some. That is the easiest because we can show them what she can eat. But with Ed and I she will bight and got to all extremes to try and get our food. Which is dangerous for her I feel like.
Jesscat
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 pm

You are doing fine with explaining things, the more detail you give the better able we are to help you.
Millet is a seed that they like very much but it is nothing but empty carbs for them, so it is primarily used as a treat only or as a training aid. Almonds are much more nutritious but they are also high in protein and again mostly used for training treats. High energy foods and high protein foods most of the time, it is no wonder that she is wired and aggressive. That would be like a diet of both caffeine and sugar. You mentioned a fruit seed blend, what is it? My parrots get fruit to eat but never fruit seeds. Zupreem fruit blend is not a good choice either as it is pretty to look at but is high in sugars among other low quality ingredients.

Lets go back to the basics and start from there. What do you feed your bird and when do you feed it? This should include treats as well.

Let me tell you what I feed my birds. I start off first thing in the mornings with a fruit, a vegetable or two and some red leaf or romaine lettuce. These are raw and cut according to the size of the bird, big enough for them to hold and get several bites, maybe half inch cubes for a Senegal. The lettuce is either shredded or given as a single whole leaf that I hang in the cage. In about an hour I give them their main food which is gloop. You can find several variations of this food in the health, diet and nutrition section of the forum. They get enough of these foods to last all day until dinner time. I give them a good quality seed mix for dinner and remove it after the birds are asleep for the night. I also give them a vitamin/ mineral supplement once a week in their gloop. This is an avian vitamin supplement and whatever amount is recommend for a single day is all that I put in on a weekly basis. My Senegal get one almond per day normally but never more than two.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:17 am

Yes, I am also getting the impression (which could be wrong) that you are feeding too many carbs and protein so it would great if you can give us a detail account of what is given when. Senegals can take more protein than other species (all African parrots can in comparison with South American ones) but you still need to be careful. This time of the year, mine are still getting more protein than they will get during the resting season but you need to be careful with new birds because you really don't know how they were kept before (bad diet? bad light schedule? etc)

Personally, I only feed millet sprays to birds that are too skinny or who, because of sickness, are not eating as well as they should. They do get some in their seed/nut mix dinner but never by itself. Millet is not bad, per se, but it's one of the seeds that is not really that nutritious.

I don't believe that pellets are good for birds but, if you have your heart set on feeding them, please do not feed the 'fruity pebbles' ones. They are the worst of all the pellets you can find out there (same as the cereal kids eat). I can give you many reasons why I think this but I am going to give you just one to start you thinking: they add sugar (plain old table sugar) to them when parrots cannot taste sweet and it has been proven over and over that it's real bad for birds - so the only possible explanation for it is that they want the bird to become addicted to it so it will eat more of the product (they found in studies that sugar is more addictive than cocaine!). My birds get one veggie, one fruit and one leafy green but I don't shred lettuce, I actually give them the stalk part of it because, in my personal experience and with the exception of cockatoos, that is the part parrots prefer (I cut quite a bit of the green top off and use it for the passerines UNLESS it's broccoli which they love to munch on). The veggie, fruit and green is different every day of the week but, sometimes, I repeat romaine lettuce. This is given between 6 and 6:30 am this time of the year (the lights are not on at this point but there is plenty of natural light). Then, around 7:30 am, they get the gloop and, around 8 am, I put them back in their cage to eat their breakfast (they come out again to stay out until 12:30 or 1 pm).

PS It sounds as if you are getting a bit overwhelmed with the whole thing and I am really sorry about that. Having small children is already a lot of work and a parrot makes things even harder. I did not have parrots when I was raising kids but I have grandkids now and Lord knows it's hard when they are here! But believe me when I tell you that you are not alone. It's actually VERY common with first-time parrot keepers to have a hard time of it and we all go through that feeling of impotence... of not knowing what to do or how to fix things... of sheer helplessness! And it kind of catches all of us by surprise because we never think that having a little bird for a pet could be so darn complicated, right? Sheesh, I still feel that way every now and then and I've had parrots for 24 years! But things do get better so don't worry so much and allow time to take care of things. Having a pet parrot is no picnic, they are VERY difficult animals to keep happy and healthy - it takes a lot of learning, planning, time and work with them but, if you persevere, the miracle happens and, when it does, it's really REALLY worth it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Jesscat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you so much for both of your input. She is doing better in the bedroom for now. It's calmer, even though I do believe she loves the commotion. She is happy that the swamp cooler isn't in there as well I'm sure! I start the day of with veggies. I made some birdy bread a couple weeks ago and froze a bunch of small portions. I give her a small piece in the morning. She gets ones of these during the day cantaloupe, watermelon, green beans, broccoli, or what ever other fruit or veggie snack I give the kids. I also have almonds, walnuts, and dried edomee for treats. At night she gets what ever fruits and veggies we get that are cooked. It is either bird bread or some pellets which I will mix warm water with and let it sit until it's not warm. Like a birdy porage.

Now she is food aggressive towards us. I have seen my children and Ed give her a small piece of pizza crust! In the bedroom she eats HER food. In the living room where she was she would pick and go for our food. That was the worst she ever got but I was happy. I don't want her to die from eating that crap.

I am in the bedroom a lot for a "brake" from the children lol. I just took them on a two hour Pokemon adventure to a park. Now they are good and I'm giving Joe her time. Even now she insist on my head and I try and avoid it a little. Because I feel like she gets caught in my hair!

Tomorrow is pay day and I'm going to make gloop. I will also get some romain lettuce or her. She had garden lettuce and kale for awhile. Now she has been enjoying the zucchini and squash from it.
Jesscat
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:11 am

Well, now I am getting really confused and I am sure it's me missing something because, going by your last post, it seems as if she is not getting enough protein so let me try to make it easier. In my personal opinion, Senegals should get a satisfying meal early in the morning made out of a low protein food (the protein level varies according to the season, right now, it's higher than it's going to be during the winter and it's at about 15%-20%, depending on the day of the week and what is added to the daily gloop) and produce (because they are hungriest early in the am and that's the best time to get them to eat it) which lowers the protein percentage of their total intake. This food stays out all day but, in reality, they don't touch it in the afternoon as they would much rather wait for their dinner which consists entirely of protein food (in my birds' case, seeds and nuts). I don't give them any produce, raw or cooked at night because, during the winter, the nights are too long and they would digest the produce too quick, leaving them hungry for a long time. It wouldn't matter so much during the summer, when the nights are short, but all my birds are on strict routines and schedules so their 'menu' is always the same: gloop and produce for breakfast, treat early in the pm and seeds/nuts for dinner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Jesscat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:59 am

Well what an improvement having her in a different room! For now anyway she is content and happier. She is eating better and playing more. I still play with her a lot and she can still come out on her own most the time. I will let her stay out for a while then take her back in. She is way less aggressive. She did on the other hand fly down to my 5 year old and get his ear pretty good.

I referenced your gloop recipe for idiots. I got all the ingredients yesterday and am soaking the beams now. I will attempt to make it today and post a picture. Thank you again!
Jesscat
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Please make sure that you boil the beans (not simmer!) for 30 minutes minimum (that's the safest way of getting rid of the bad lectin they have).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Jesscat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:31 am

Hi just a small update, Joe is doing great! I have three stands for her now and a play gym!! She is still determined to be with me. I give her as much time as I can:) She is still happy and sweet to my boyfriend! I am blown away with how sweet she is. Her personality is so awesome! She is funny!! Her newest thing is laughing and rolling around on my chest! She still fly's at me but I am much calmer about it. We have moved a on to sweet cuddles then little chunk tearing bites out of my neck! Hahaha it's all good we can tell she is just trying to get a reaction. As calm as I stay sometimes I just say, "no" sternly or I cry out a little. I try to not react though! She will then laugh and lay across my chest! She is to funny! She has been going outside once a week since we got her. She no longer acts way scared out there. So I believe it's time for me to take her out more. Or as much as I can before its to cold.

What is your take on heated perches? She is going to need more heat for the winter. I have the bulb that is safe for her I can use during the day. What about a night time bulb? I haven't seen them but my boyfriend says the pet store might have them?
:redbelly:
Jesscat
Lovebird

Postby Jesscat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 am

Oh last thing I wanted to share. I have read a few times with birds that they attack feet and maybe have been kicked and that's why. Joe has started chasing my feet. This is very new for her and she just wants to nibble then try and rip off my toe nail. I don't let her chase them often but I can see her not liking feet one day. Or having a massive feet over them! I will wear socks now!
Jesscat
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:29 pm

I am not sure why many parrots have a foot fetish type of thing. Kiki, my Senegal also has this thing about feet and she starts with just a gentle nibble which quickly esculates into actual biting. So you don't get to feel like the lone ranger in regards to this type of issue. :lol: :lol: She also carries this a bit further as going after my feet is unchanged by the addition of shoes, in fact, she likes shoes so well that she will very happily destroy my shoes if she can't get to my feet. Leather shoes hold up well enough to her chewing but tennis type shoes don't last more than just a few minutes before she has big chunks torn out of the rubbery parts. I have taken to hiding my shoes from her as I can't afford a new pair of shoes daily.

I actually think that their foot thing may have more to do with smell than anything else. It is the part of the body that leaves the strongest scent for a predator to follow so although parrots are not predators it may still be a scent type thing. Don't know this for certain as regards parrots, though so it is just a guess.

I never try to hold back on letting my birds know when they are biting too hard. Well that is not entirely true, I do hold back the urge to brush them off as I don't want to misjudge and knock them off. I do not hold back to verbally responding to their bites, nor do I allow them to remain on me if they bite me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Introductions