Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Parrotlet owner

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: New Parrotlet owner

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 am

He sure doesn't sound like any breeder bird I've ever encountered! They are always terrified of people and would not eat anything but seeds... But, keep on trying with the different produce, parrots learn what to eat when they are babies from their parents so it takes a long time to get an adult to eat a large variety.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Gale&Yogi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Progress!! For the last few days, first thing in the morning, Yogi has let me get close enough for him to eat a bit of spray millet from my hand.

He now lets me put my hand across the inside of the cage as long as t is not too close to him.

He seems to be enjoying it because he will sit on a perch, stare at me and jump up and down. :hatched:
Gale&Yogi
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet (recently deceased), 1 male and 1 female GCC, 1 male Quaker and 1 male moustache parakeet, and a deceased IRN
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:55 am

Well, I have to tell you that putting your hand inside a parrot's cage is not something that anybody who knows about parrots will recommend or even suggest. It's one of those 'parrot no-nos' because they regard it as nothing but a disrespectful intrusion to their own space -not a good foundation for a good relationship, as far as they are concerned.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Gale&Yogi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:47 pm

I don't have a choice as he will not stay on an outside perch, and is not hand tamed at all.

Today we progressed to eating millet from my hand on the same perch as my hand, even touching my fingers while he ate. He approached my hand carefully but approached it.

I am doing what Michael suggested in his book. I will continue to do this until I can get him to step up onto my fingers.
Gale&Yogi
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet (recently deceased), 1 male and 1 female GCC, 1 male Quaker and 1 male moustache parakeet, and a deceased IRN

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Michael's book assumes that you have already gone through the steps required to win your birds trust and you have not done this so here is the method that I use for this. It is in this link that I answered for a member with a Green Cheek Conure, but it is the same regardless of the species of parrot. Here is that link, I hope that you find it helpful. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15840
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Gale&Yogi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:26 pm

I talk to him often, using his name and repeating common phrases several times, like pretty bird, how are you and more.

He was never tamed by the original owner, and the next one gave up on the headstrong boy, but I am more pigheaded than he is.

He still freaks out when I open his cage but not as much. I have little patience with people but tons with animals.
Gale&Yogi
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:44 pm

I hear you!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 am

Wolf is correct. Michael's book is for hand-fed (and thereby imprinted to humans) birds so you can't even begin to follow it until the bird is 100% completely comfortable with you and trusts you implicitly. You will never get the same kind of relationship from a parent-raised that you would get from a hand-fed but you can still have a good 'understanding' :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Introductions