Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi! New Owner Here.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi! New Owner Here.

Postby CasanovasMom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Hello! This is the first forum I've joined.
My birdy is a white, red-eyed parrotlet named Casanova, or Cassie for short. I thoroughly research any pet before I get them and I know my Do's and Don't's.
I've had her for about a week now, got her from a very reputable breeder and she checks out in full health. She eats, drinks, and plays with her toys. I have also begun to let her out of her cage, and she has perched on me twice! She's still pretty shy
I did have a question, just as an aside. Sometimes Casanova will just sit on her favorite perch and chatter and twitter away. I love it, but occasionally she makes this sound that's almost more of a "trill" that's deeper in tone while she's chattering. Does this mean anything different or is she just singing? And does singing generally mean a bird is happy or do they also do it from boredom?
Thank you for having me. =)
CasanovasMom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: A sweet little white baby parrotlet with red eyes named Casanova/Cassie.
Flight: No

Re: Hi! New Owner Here.

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:16 am

Welcome to the forum.

Although I have a pair of parotlets, I really can't tell you if this other sound that your bird is making means anything much different than her other singing and chattering without at least hearing it although a video would be much more helpful. When trying to understand what meaning may be in the sounds that most animals, including birds, make, you really need to see their body language as well. If you go just by the sound they make, it is sort of like taking it out of context as you may be missing most of the communication by overlooking the body language. Many times the noises that they make are just emphasis to the main communication that is expressed through body language.

I will say in answer to your question about their singing that most of the time parrots tend to get quiet when they are upset. By this I mean that they usually don't talk ( if it talks) or sing when they are upset or not feeling well. If your bird likes to sing and suddenly stops or severely reduces the amount of singing, it is a cause for alarm as it is one of the first signs of an illness that the bird may have been hiding from you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:21 am

Welcome to the forum, Cassie and Mom! I love it when people who own parrots say they 'sing' :lol: I can't help you the vocalizations because I don't have plets.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Hello! And welcome! I think your parrotlet is just vocalizing. It shouldn't be anything to worry about. Also, I'd give her one more week before she warms up to you. When I had a parrotlet that's how long it took her to be interested in me. Same thing for my current bird. :lol:
Ash
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Pionus

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:17 am

Personally, I never consider any time schedule in relation to how long it takes any bird to learn or adjust to any thing new to them, although it does appear that it does take about a month for many birds to get generally climatized to new surroundings when rehomed. Many birds will do it faster and many of them take longer and part of it seems to be based on their individual personalities despite whatever they may have previously experienced. I will say that all of my birds came to me as adults and from not so good living conditions and I am sure that it affected their ability to adjust in the beginning. Still if one is going to win a birds trust one must be patient and progress at the pace that the bird sets and not by what we think is appropriate time wise. For a bird a week or a month is nothing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:44 am

I think that when we think that the birds got used to us in a short period of time, they are actually 'faking' it. I have had birds that seemed to have adapted to me and their new home in a matter of days but, as time went by, I realized that it was just an illusion because they ended up showing their true colors months after.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Ash » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Pajarita wrote:I think that when we think that the birds got used to us in a short period of time, they are actually 'faking' it. I have had birds that seemed to have adapted to me and their new home in a matter of days but, as time went by, I realized that it was just an illusion because they ended up showing their true colors months after.

Interesting! I'm kinda wondering how my bird will behave in a few months from now. Fingers crossed that she'll be a little more social!
Ash
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Pionus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:25 am

In my personal experience, one cannot really say that a bird is 100% adjusted to its new home until they have been under the same routine for about two years. And, yes, if you keep a steady routine, are patient and allow her to set the pace for the relationship, she will, most definitely and without a doubt, become more social. It's all up to you though... not to her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Welcome from bird woman and happy honeymoon period ( you will know what I mean in a few months) I don't have much info. To offer as I have mostly giant teridactals . But have had way to much experience with the honeymoon period. :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Return to Introductions