Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Luckyandjenn

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Luckyandjenn

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am

Yes, caring properly for parrots is VERY VERY hard and one of the reasons for this is all the bad information you find out there so you need to do a lot of in-depth research and reach your own conclusions. But, rule of thumb is to try to follow what they eat in nature. Not that you would be able to actually reproduce their natural diet but, at least, keep within the nutritional parameters of it (things like levels of protein, fiber, carbs, fat, moisture levels). The other thing that is important to remember is that parrots are all undomesticated species that have not yet become adapted to eating chemicals (the sulfur preservative in dried fruits, for example) so you need to feed them organic in, at least, the 12 'dirtiest' produce (spinach, apples and carrots are three of them and the Higgins mix has them 'regular', for example - see here for the complete list: https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/) and untreated (as in naturally dried, unsulfured fruit like this: http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/OR ... 4500-5903/). I don't feed my birds anything dried, everything is either frozen or fresh BUT, sometimes, I add dried fruits to their gloop to make the flavor of the day and what I do is buy the naturally dried fruit and leave it soaking overnight in a bowl of warm water - the reason why I do this is that parrots are meant by nature to derive most of their hydration needs from the food they eat (they are what is called canopy feeders) so their natural diet has a moisture content of 85 to 95% water.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Luckyandjenn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:17 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, caring properly for parrots is VERY VERY hard and one of the reasons for this is all the bad information you find out there so you need to do a lot of in-depth research and reach your own conclusions. But, rule of thumb is to try to follow what they eat in nature. Not that you would be able to actually reproduce their natural diet but, at least, keep within the nutritional parameters of it (things like levels of protein, fiber, carbs, fat, moisture levels). The other thing that is important to remember is that parrots are all undomesticated species that have not yet become adapted to eating chemicals (the sulfur preservative in dried fruits, for example) so you need to feed them organic in, at least, the 12 'dirtiest' produce (spinach, apples and carrots are three of them and the Higgins mix has them 'regular', for example - see here for the complete list: https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/) and untreated (as in naturally dried, unsulfured fruit like this: http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/OR ... 4500-5903/). I don't feed my birds anything dried, everything is either frozen or fresh BUT, sometimes, I add dried fruits to their gloop to make the flavor of the day and what I do is buy the naturally dried fruit and leave it soaking overnight in a bowl of warm water - the reason why I do this is that parrots are meant by nature to derive most of their hydration needs from the food they eat (they are what is called canopy feeders) so their natural diet has a moisture content of 85 to 95% water.

Thank you i will look at the links im not sure what to don im trying to get him to eat apples carrots and new wen things and hes proving to be stubborn not wanting any of it he previous owner had him on a all seed amd nut diet i belive ive been eating it in front of him makimg the noise he makes when he eats the nits he likes ill keep trying and im still lookimg into other stuff ill have to try spinch
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw and a flock of all diffrent types hens Americana, silkie, yellow Sexton ,austrelop Plymouth Bared Rock
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:40 am

I don't feed any of my birds spinach, it's too high in iron (birds need very little of it and too much is bad for them) and oxalic acid (which inhibits calcium absorption) but, in any case, I would leave leafy greens for last because, at least in my own experience, it's usually the last thing that a parrot would eat. I would start with things like apples, corn on the cob, raw carrots, grapes, etc -all proven favorites of most parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:50 pm

He is not being stubborn, at least not on purpose. Parrots are taught by their parents how to find food, what it looks like and which ones to eat, shortly after they fledge. This is not usually done with our captive parrots, by either the breeder or by the pet stores. This is bad enough because this practice is due to the cost of the right foods and for no other reason, but you would think that they would care enough about the welfare of the bird to explain to the person who wants to buy the bird that they need to teach their new baby bird to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as explaining to them how to go about teaching the young bird to eat this variety of foods, but they do not do this because they are only interested in selling the bird and some people would probably not buy the bird if they knew that they would have to teach the bird what to eat. He is not eating these healthy foods because he does not know what they are or that they are food. It is a time consuming process at best and becomes more difficult to teach to the bird as the bird gets older. Do not let it discourage you, just consider it to be a part of their daily routine and eat and share the new foods with them most especially first thing in the mornings before they are given any other foods and then off and on throughout the day whenever you get a snack for yourself, pick something that is good for both of you and share that snack with them. Even if it seems like it is taking forever to get them to even try the food it has the added benefit of helping to strengthen the bond between you and the bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Luckyandjenn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Pajarita wrote:I don't feed any of my birds spinach, it's too high in iron (birds need very little of it and too much is bad for them) and oxalic acid (which inhibits calcium absorption) but, in any case, I would leave leafy greens for last because, at least in my own experience, it's usually the last thing that a parrot would eat. I would start with things like apples, corn on the cob, raw carrots, grapes, etc -all proven favorites of most parrots.
thank you i will try some of thoes things out
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw and a flock of all diffrent types hens Americana, silkie, yellow Sexton ,austrelop Plymouth Bared Rock

Postby Luckyandjenn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Wolf wrote:He is not being stubborn, at least not on purpose. Parrots are taught by their parents how to find food, what it looks like and which ones to eat, shortly after they fledge. This is not usually done with our captive parrots, by either the breeder or by the pet stores. This is bad enough because this practice is due to the cost of the right foods and for no other reason, but you would think that they would care enough about the welfare of the bird to explain to the person who wants to buy the bird that they need to teach their new baby bird to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as explaining to them how to go about teaching the young bird to eat this variety of foods, but they do not do this because they are only interested in selling the bird and some people would probably not buy the bird if they knew that they would have to teach the bird what to eat. He is not eating these healthy foods because he does not know what they are or that they are food. It is a time consuming process at best and becomes more difficult to teach to the bird as the bird gets older. Do not let it discourage you, just consider it to be a part of their daily routine and eat and share the new foods with them most especially first thing in the mornings before they are given any other foods and then off and on throughout the day whenever you get a snack for yourself, pick something that is good for both of you and share that snack with them. Even if it seems like it is taking forever to get them to even try the food it has the added benefit of helping to strengthen the bond between you and the bird.
thank you i will keep trying i will eat breakfast with him
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Previous

Return to Introductions