Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELLLOOOOO!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

HELLLOOOOO!

Postby SNMinervini » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello All!!!
My name is Samantha, currently residing in Delray Beach, FL.
New to this forum type of thing.. but here goes nothing ;)
I found this forum in the long search for a new bird companion.. and am very excited to begin this new and exciting journey with you all!
Looking for lots of guidance as I dive into the fabulous world of parrots !!

I hope to make new friends in the bird world!!
I have previously had a cockatiel named coconut (who has long passed) , he was fabulously sassy :greycockatiel:
And my in laws just recently lost their sun conure, paullie
But long story short I have been long searching for the perfect companion.. and am at a crossroads
stuck between a sun conure, green cheek conure and a quaker...
just looking for some knowledge from people with these birds currently ..

Thats all for now ...
-S
SNMinervini
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: HELLLOOOOO!

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure that I can be of much help in your search as I really have no actual experience with any of these parrot species, most of what I do know about them I learned right here on this forum. Which species you choose in my opinion has more to do with what you can offer the birds than anything else other than what you are looking for in a bird. If you are living in an apartment or with close neighbors then you might you might want to consider that a Sun Conure has a very loud and high pitched scream and flock call that might cause your neighbors problems, I really can't say much about the Green Cheek Conure but as far as the Quaker goes you will want to check out the laws in any state that you are living in, might want to take him to if you have people that you might want to visit with or any state that you might want to live in later on as Quakers are illegal to own in some states.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Welcome, Samantha! Let's see... quakers are legal in FLorida so that would not be a problem for you but the three species that you mention are different from each other so it all depends on what you can do for them because they would all work out as long as their needs are met.

GCCs need A LOT of one-on-one so, if you cannot provide four hours of it on a daily basis, it would not work out; Quakers need, more than other species, to be kept at a strict solar schedule or they become extremely hormonal and aggressive and Sun conures are LOUD and seem to enjoy hearing themselves scream - these are generalizations, of course! Another thing that you need to take into consideration is whether you can provide the care they need in terms of diet, light schedule, housing, company, etc for years and years and years to come - I don't know how old you are or what are your circumstances but, usually, young people who just start out or haven't even done it yet (as in the case of a student) lack the long-term stability needed for a healthy and happy bird so that's something that you also need to consider...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby SNMinervini » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Pajarita!

Thanks for he reply!
I am 26 have a stable job/ income and have had many animals from horses /dogs / hamsters/ and even
a cockatiel. I won't be the only once caring for the bird in the house hold, my boyfriend has a little more experience in caring for a Sun Conure, so i won't be completely lost haha!!
I know this is a life time commitment to the bird as a companion.
I actually chose to go with a yellow sided GCC, and am picking her up next saturday!
Any suggestions of where to place her cage in my apartment, i wanted to put her in the family room.. near the windows but in a corner where she won't be under direct sunlight or an air vent.
The cage i purchased was for a senegal but wasn't used and has a perch on top..
suggest getting a stand / play ground as well?

Lots of questions haha!, just want to make sure i get it right!

-Samantha
SNMinervini
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Green Cheek Conure

Return to Introductions