Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello

Postby Life_with_birds » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:51 am

Hey, im new to the whole forum thing and i have a question. :D

My cinnamon conure, cinnamon, is laying. She hasn't been coming out lots but today at around 1:30pm she came out and is still out and its 5:45pm now. So im just a bit worried for the eggs in her nest, because she needs to keep them warm. I got one of the nesting boxes put in after she had already layed and she wasn't interested, but today she took notice of it and i think she might want to move in. So if she does move in do i put her 4 eggs she has in the "old" nest and put them into the nesting box with her? She may not move in but i think she might. :senegal:

Life_with_birds
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeked conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:04 am

This is a difficult question to answer as we really don't know anything about you or your birds. You apparently have two birds and due to the eggs, we know for sure that one is a hen, but what about the other bird, are you positive that it is a male? What are the ages of these birds? Are you providing calcium for the female so that she does not rob it from her bones? These are my first question and I know that there are more that I should be asking, but I don't have enough experience with breeding birds, so I will allow others to carry on from this point with whatever question need to be asked.

Based on your question, I am assuming that like me, you do not have any real experience with breeding birds and if this is true I would advise waiting until your hen tires of the eggs and remove them. I would also recommend that you boil the eggs to prevent them from hatching and cooling them back off and then returning them to her until she tires of them. This would need to be done one egg at a time, to keep her from keeping on laying more eggs than required for the one clutch.

With as many birds as there are that are in our already overflowing bird rescues, I really don't advocate breeding more. Then there is the matter of the knowledge and work that is required to breed and raise the birds properly as it is not simply a matter of putting a male and female together and letting nature take its course. But then others with more experience can tell you much more about this than I can.

I know how attractive it can be to raise your own baby birds, but is it the best or right thing to do? Only you can actually answer this question for you, but I would ask you to consider this before you proceed to try to raise birds on your own.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Hello

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Welcome to the forum! I am afraid that I agree with Wolf 100% about the breeding of birds... it does require A LOT of knowledge for it to be really successful. Getting a pair of birds to lay eggs and having the eggs hatching is not a success in itself, anybody can do that! It's the health of the parents and the babies that make the difference and, if your birds are nesting right now, I am afraid that you don't have the necessary know-how to do it right because the breeding season has been over for months now so your birds are obviously on a human light schedule and on a too rich a diet for this time of the year. Off-season babies are not healthy...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions