Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New member from Illinois!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New member from Illinois!

Postby kellyj913 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:10 am

Hi all! My name is Jan, long-time bird lover and a big fan of parrots! I have four cockatiels and three zebra finches, and can't imagine life without any of them! I bought Genny, my first cockatiel, 15 years ago at a PetsMart while I was in high school and fell in love with the species. Shortly thereafter I learned about the plight of homeless parrots and decided to adopt the rest of Genny's flock mates. I got my finches from a student of mine who didn't have the time to take care of them anymore.

I joined to get to know some large parrot owners because I'd like to adopt an older macaw in the couple of years here. I have never owned a large parrot, but I regularly volunteered at rescue center while in college. I was put in charge of room for "risky" large parrots (somewhat hand tame, but with aggressive/nippy tendencies, a lot of them wild-caught in the 70s-80s). I fell in love with the macaws I worked with, and could see their playful, curious nature through the standoffish exterior most of the birds kept up.

I hope to get answers to some questions I have on big parrot ownership - I'm sure volunteering 10-15 hours a week at a rescue center is a lot different than taking one of these animals into your life. Looking forward to meeting you all, particularly the macaw owners! :macaw:
kellyj913
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Zebra Finches
Flight: Yes

Re: New member from Illinois!

Postby liz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:26 am

Welcome to the forum.
Volunteering in a rescue is the best way to learn about a species. It is also the best way to fall in love with one.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 am

Welcome to the forum, Jan and feathered friends! Hope we can be of help and thank you for adopting instead of buying a baby!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby kellyj913 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:35 am

Thank you both for the warm welcome! Looking forward to reading through the posts here!
kellyj913
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Zebra Finches

Return to Introductions