Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi, I'm new at this

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi, I'm new at this

Postby Rmoses » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Hello, I'm new here too. I have a white fronted amazon parrot named Roberto. Looking for instructions on changing some of his bad habits.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi, I'm new at this

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, we will be happy to help however we can.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:09 am

Welcome
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum, Moses and Roberto! Why don't you tell us a bit about him? Like his age, his gender, how long you've had him and anything else you think we might like to know (we like EVERYTHING about parrots :lol: )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rmoses » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Roberto is a male white fronted amazon. I do not know his age. Because of a language barrier with his previous owners, I only know that they had him for about 17 months. He came to me with some of his primary and secondary flight feathers clipped. He can still fly so I am not sure why or when he was trimmed that way. I have had him about two weeks now. I have been target training him with a clicker and stick. He is doing well with that. I can move him around with that. I let him out of the cage for an hour or so each morning and afternoon. He will fly back to his cage and I have no problem getting him back inside. Sometimes if I need to move him I will use a stick for him to step up on and he will go right back into the cage. If I am in the kitchen he will fly to me and land on my shoulder or near me. He I have a rope from his cage to my chair and he will walk the rope to me. The problem is when he gets on my hand he starts biting it. I don't reach for him or force him to conform. He is a picky eater, he only likes corn, some peas, grapes and of course sunflower seeds and almonds. His previous owners said he liked fruit and vegetables. I use the sunflower seeds and almonds as treats when training. I have put several several different kinds of vegetables and fruits for him to eat but he will ignore them. A pellet type food is not available near me so it will have to be shipped here and it takes about two weeks. I will be ordering that in a few days. He is a good bird and except for the biting and picky eating I have no problem with him. Hopefully I can get him to quit biting and to start eating well.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:29 pm

I do not know which fruits and vegetables that you have tried out with him or how you have presented them to him. Sometimes it makes all of the difference in the world how these items are cut up for them, while most would probably prefer food that they can hold, they may still prefer them cut into strips or larger or smaller chunks. Some prefer smaller pieces or even prefer them partly cooked, you just never know until you try. Also he may like his produce better if you are eating the same produce with him when you give it to him. For most parrots the sharing of food is an integral part of flock dynamics and is not only a social event for them but also a bonding activity.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Amazons are great eaters so, if you persist, he will end up eating a large range of produce. But, at only two weeks of been with you, I would not be target training him at all. I would wait until the bird is over the honeymoon period and has already bonded with me before I start. Rushing things with parrots always backfires -no two ways about it!- and they have their own idea of what constitutes an 'acceptable' period of time and what doesn't (and it's not the same as our idea of it!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. When I got George 11 months ago getting a large bird was a whole new world for me as well. George is older but I just let him teach me what he wanted and liked. When I ate, if he wanted some I would always share and it was thru trial and error that I found out he likes his food in small bits. If I gave him bigger pieces he'd hold it for awhile then just drop it. The smaller pieces he just loves and gobbles them up. I took everyone's advice and still do and things always work out with George. I'm still learning and probably will be for a long time, but relaxing and having fun with him just makes everything easier. Giving them all the time and attention you can and sealing that bond with them makes everything easier.
Georges mom
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:40 am

Do not let being new to the world of parrots and their care make you bashful, I have had my birds for about 5 years now and I am still very much a newbie. I would also wager that although there are some members here that have been involved with parrots for more than 20 years that most of them will agree that with all that we do not know about these birds that even they feel as if they are also newbies in many areas of parrot care.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:07 am

Indeed! Wolf is 100% correct! Anybody who says they know everything there is to know about their bird inside out is somebody who is fooling him/herself! Keeping a parrot is always an adventure because one never knows how they are going to react all the time. Parrots, like people, change as they get older and, what was OK for them for years, all of a sudden (to our minds, of course, not to the parrot's), it's no longer OK - and viceversa! Something that was not OK, it's now OK! So, yes, we are all 'newbies' after a fashion...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Introductions