Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

please help me with my new green cheek conure!!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

please help me with my new green cheek conure!!

Postby ava » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:07 am

Hi, please help me!! :gcc: I bought a green cheek conure about 2 month ago from a store that kept them in one cage without any good condition. He is about 1.5 years old (as it mentioned on his foot ring) I never had from this kind but I had lots of cockatiels and other pets that they really connected to me but this one….In first weak he (I guess it’s he because of his behavior) screamed a lot and did lots of gymnastic things (spin around one stick).so I opened his cage and he calmed down. he is free Until now during the day and at night he goes to the cage (it’s his safe place).I pick up his favorite food(sunflower seeds and grapes) so in specific time I sit near him and he jumps to my hand and eats them , then he go back to his place immediately! He is so afraid of us and never let us to touch him or even close to him. He also takes a bathe for more than 3 times in a day and plays a lot with himself during the day. I pay so much attention to him and talk to him but I do not know what I have to do. Actually we tried to catch him once and he bit all of my hand .I was never in this situation before. I can send his pics if it’s necessary. I will be very thankful if you help me!! :( Is he going to change his attitude?
ava
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: please help me with my new green cheek conure!!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ava and new feathered friend! Whether he changes his attitude or not depends on two things: whether he was handfed or parent-raised and on what you do and don't do.,
For one thing, sunflowers are really bad for GCCs because they are mainly fruit eaters in the wild and sunflowers are too high in fat and protein for them (they will end up destroying his liver and, eventually, killing him). Now, as to what you should and should not do. You should not 'catch' him or force him to accept you in any way. You should woo him with kindness, patience and love. First and before anything else, you need to change his diet to a much better one because high protein means sexual hormones and sexual hormones means aggression. I suggest you feed him gloop and raw produce for breakfast and all day picking and a low protein, low fat mix of seeds for dinner (a good quality budgie mix will do for the winter if you are in the Northern Hemisphere -are you?). You can still use seeds for treats but I would use safflower instead of sunflower. The key is to spend hours and hours just keeping him company - you should talk, sing, whistle, etc to him without trying to touch him or even get so close to him that he backs off. Then, when you see that he is eager for your company, you can start giving him a treat now and then. Once you see that he approaches you on its own when he sees you have a treat in your hand, you can start training him to step up for you. But this will take some time so, when you are able to get him to come close to you out of its own initiative, we will teach you how to get him to step up.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions