Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fie saying hi

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Fie saying hi

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:02 am

Navre wrote:I love ekkies, but I have no idea how to "read" them. I'm at their mercy.

Luckily the ekkies I have known have been kind birds, but when I got bit by Sebastian, I had no idea it was coming. I still don't know why he bit me. Usually, I know I'm going to get bitten before I do. It's either a situation in which I HAVE to do something a bird doesn't like, or I'm pushing my luck.

With an ekkie, I never know what they're thinking.

:lol: Join the club! Everybody ends up getting bit by ekkies because they just don't display in any way so they look the same when they are happy as when they are mad - and, when they are mad and they bite, they go for the kill every time! No wasting time in warnings or bluffs for ekkies! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby dragonlady2 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Pajarita wrote:
dragonlady2 wrote:My Ekkie eats only fresh or cooked foods which equals about 90% of his diet. The other 10 % consists of sprouts, nuts and a little seed. He can't have pellets as any pellet I have tried to supplement his diet has resulted in toe tapping. I make fresh chop every day and add a sweet potato mash with red rice and quinoa later in the day.

Pajarita...tried the red rice that you advised and I love it myself. So everyone in the house eats red rice...lol.

It's delicious, isn't it? Have you tried the black one? I cooked both the red and the black for my son and his family when they came over and they fell in love with both - but my husband is a big fan of Jasmine so that's what we usually end up having although I prefer the red or the black (nuttier in taste, isn't it?) - thankfully, because my husband stays in Connecticut for days and days, I can enjoy my 'weird' foods without having to listen to his complaints :lol:

I haven't tried the black yet. My husband is not keen on it, but seeing as I am the cook, he doesn't have much of a choice. It definitely has a nuttier taste and I like the texture. We were eating Basmati rice, but it will be red and possibly black. I had the red rice with curried pork.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Postby dragonlady2 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:I love ekkies, but I have no idea how to "read" them. I'm at their mercy.

Luckily the ekkies I have known have been kind birds, but when I got bit by Sebastian, I had no idea it was coming. I still don't know why he bit me. Usually, I know I'm going to get bitten before I do. It's either a situation in which I HAVE to do something a bird doesn't like, or I'm pushing my luck.

With an ekkie, I never know what they're thinking.

:lol: Join the club! Everybody ends up getting bit by ekkies because they just don't display in any way so they look the same when they are happy as when they are mad - and, when they are mad and they bite, they go for the kill every time! No wasting time in warnings or bluffs for ekkies! :D

I haven't been bitten by Willy yet. Their bite is more like a " strike". Willy is very methodical in his processing. With an Ekkie, their first defense is to "freeze" then act.That may be why it seems there are no signs...he sits quietly and observes before any action. There are subtle signs like his neck feathers get fluffed out, he might give a tail wag, but the most obvious is his swaying back and forth when is head is lowered. He has even been known to give a growl or two.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:53 am

Ahhh, yes, the growl! :lol: A male ekkie named Romeo was the very first parrot I have ever heard growling. He was a holy terror, Romeo was! I had to walk around the birdroom with a towel hanging on my front and another on my back because, if I didn't, he would run after me (wings half open and growling for all he was worth) to chase me out of the room -and, of course, bite me if he could reach me! He also did the swaying but he had to be furious to do it... On the other hand, Elsa, the female I had, would look all peaceful and nice and give not a single sign of anything and suddenly BAM! bite the heck out of you! She got me once in the web between my index and middle finger and bit so deep that she severed nerves to the point that I spent about two years getting the feeling back on half of my middle finger and, even to this day, there is a 'blind' spot still there...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Introductions