Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hello everyone

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: hello everyone

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:46 am

alienlady wrote:Pajarita I can't thank you enough for that wealth of information, it is far more than any vet has ever told me. I am so grateful to you.I feel that at last someone is listening to my fears, unlike the vets! But I suppose if they are not avian vets they don't have enough knowledge.
The avian vet is starting after Christmas so may I prevail upon you for a special diet until then please?
Liseth was caged all day and no one home, no toys and bad diet. She has lots of toys and a playstand now and is free all day . She is tame now and an absolute delight and even talks a bit. So I want her to have good health she deserves it. Y
Thankyou so much.

One cannot fault avian vets for not explaining in detail because the truth is that parrots are extremely complex animals to keep as pets with SOOOO many details to take into consideration that, if an avian vet was going to sit down with every single owner and explain EVERYTHING, they would end up seeing two patients a day :lol: But, what I do fault them for is their giving advice on diet and behavior, two things they don't study and that, unless they've had multiple parrots of their own and for quite a number of years, they couldn't possibly have learned.

The diet I was referring to is gloop and you can find a number of recipes in our diet section but, basically, it means a dish of whole grains cooked at dente (except for the pulses, of course!) mixed with chopped veggies. In my personal opinion and, although it's not their natural diet or anything remotely similar, it does provide the same nutritional parameters that their natural diet does: high moisture, high fiber, low protein, low fat and a large range of food-derived vitamins and minerals. The supplements I use with the liver damage birds are milk thistle (both the capsules mixed in the gloop and the alcohol-free liquid extract in their water), dandelion root (capsule in gloop), methionine (capsule in gloop), aloe vera juice (not gel) from the inner leaf (not the whole leaf) mixed in their water. I am now also using theanine (capsule in water but could also be done in the gloop) with the sun conure with hemochromatosis but I am thinking that I am going to start using it with the others too because all studies point to its restoring low levels of glutathione (antioxidant and detoxifier) in livers damaged by alcohol and chemotherapy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:16 am

I agree Wolf, the older I get I find the less I know somehow :lol: The tiny parrots are so cute, I have never had one though.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby alienlady » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:22 am

Pajarita thankyou again, I was wondering about gloop. Wallpaper paste springs to mind! :lol: I will look for a recipe and go shopping.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby alienlady » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:48 am

An update. I have been to see the new vet this morning and this is what he told me." I don't want to waste time doing anaesthetic and blood works when she is eating well and not showing signs of illness. The feathers on her chest are brown but the rest of them look in good shape so just continue with what you are doing." What do you all think to that response?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Hmmmm, well, I don't know what to tell you... I've never known a single avian vet that needed to put a bird under to get blood (they usually get it from under the wing but, if the bird is large and aggressive -meaning very difficult to handle, they towel the bird and take it from the jugular) and I also never known one that would say a bird is healthy by just looking at it - as far as I know, they all tell you they need bloodwork. Sheesh, even with complete blood work with good results, there is still doubt, especially when it comes to liver function (I had a bird that died from liver failure about a month after he showed normal liver results in the normal chem panel).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't know what to make of it either. I specifically asked for the test and that was his reply. I don't think I will be getting on with him :roll:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Previous

Return to Introductions