Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hello everyone

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: hello everyone

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:16 pm

alienlady wrote:Ok she is my first Amazon parrot. Is that better ?

Im just saying :D
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:43 pm

:lol: Don't worry about it, although Brandon is correct in that cockatiels are also parrots, we understood what you meant.

Now, as to your amazon's brown feathers. If the feathers had follicle damage, they would be yellow and not brown and I'll tell you why. Feathers are green from the superposition of yellow and blue. The yellow is a pigment so this is the actual 'base' color of the feather, the blue comes from a special structure that some feathers have that allows them to reflect ONLY blue light. Add the 'blue reflection' to the 'base' yellow color and VOILA, green feathers! The only times when a normal, healthy parrot's green feathers turn brown is when they are saturated by water or when there is liver issues. The water saturation nullifies the blue reflecting structure and makes the yellow color darker - thus: brown.

As to the testing - I do a bile acid test in every older bird or any bird that I know, for a fact, has had a bad diet for some time (and your poor bird had a TERRIBLE diet in its previous life!). Avian vets will tell you that doing the avian chem panel tells them of liver damage and they are correct BUT the values they look at are not liver specific and the test does not tell you how the liver is actually working but whether there is liver cell damage. Only problem is, you only see bad levels on these values when the liver is only working at 25% (and I know this for a fact because it's not only on avian medicine text books but also because I had a parrot that died from liver failure and had good chem panel values until one month before death!). The bile acids test tells you how the liver is actually performing so it catches problems way before they show on the chem panel and, because the liver is the only organ that can heal and regenerate itself, it pays to know where you are standing so you can take measures (special diet, supplements) if needed. I have two amazons and a sun conure with liver damage and they are all doing very well with a special diet and daily herbal supplements.

Going on to the pellets: I don't feed pellets. I have done research on parrots natural diets and their physiology for many years and have reached the conclusion long ago that pellets are not and never will be the best dietary option for them. My issues: dryness (max 10% moisture for an animal that evolved to eat between 85 and 95%), degree of processing (self-explanatory), quality of ingredients (all of them feed quality instead of human grade) and the ingredients themselves (I don't feed any of my animals soy products or dried corn), man-made vitamins (which are not utilized by the body with the same efficiency as food-derived ones), uncertainty of the actual protein level (all of them read: minimum or more than). I feed gloop and raw produce for breakfast and all day picking (the liver-damage birds included) and a seed/nut mix for dinner which I tailor to their individual needs (I start with a low protein, low fat and add to round it up).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 am

Pajarita I can't thank you enough for that wealth of information, it is far more than any vet has ever told me. I am so grateful to you.I feel that at last someone is listening to my fears, unlike the vets! But I suppose if they are not avian vets they don't have enough knowledge.
The avian vet is starting after Christmas so may I prevail upon you for a special diet until then please?
Liseth was caged all day and no one home, no toys and bad diet. She has lots of toys and a playstand now and is free all day . She is tame now and an absolute delight and even talks a bit. So I want her to have good health she deserves it. Y
Thankyou so much.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:57 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:

Im just saying :D

Cockatiels are such cheerful little beauties that most people do not know they are parrots. The members in this forum know that they are and take care of them and work with them like we do the bigger parrots. There are big personalities in those little ones.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby alienlady » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:13 pm

:D I understand that . I apologise if I seemed rude. I have an illness which leaves me struggling with words and making myself understood. I have forgotten five languages and now English is heading the same way lol.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:07 pm

I do not see where you have been rude in any way. There are many people that don't really see some of the smaller species of parrots as parrots due to the picture that most of us were given for the word parrot since we were little children. Most people picture a Macaw or Cockatoo when they hear the word parrot and most of us know this and it really does not present a problem.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby alienlady » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Thankyou very much for your kindness Wolf.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Bird woman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:51 pm

I have been into parrots many years and have been saving and working with wild birds since I was very young and I had no idea cockatiels were a cockatoo of sorts and in the parrot family. :shock: And they are my Drug of choice. (well I'll join the not knowing club right along with you). :lol Nice to meet you , I'm bird woman and my cockatoos and there are many run my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. B.W.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby alienlady » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:35 am

Hello Bird Woman , nice to meet you too. I loved my cockatiels, they certainly talked more than my Amazon does but bless her she tries. I suppose I am used to them being grouped as Parakeets although parrot family just a different class. However , to me Cockatiels are Cockatiels and Amazons are Amazons regardless.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:49 am

I suppose that the thing that surprised me the most about my parrots is that I have two parrotlets that weigh about one ounce and their closest parrot cousin is an amazon which weighs close to 16 ounces. Huge difference in size. With over 360 different species of parrots all around the world it would be very difficult to know everything about them. I, myself have only just scratched the surface of what there is to know about them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions