Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Another Australian joins the flock

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Another Australian joins the flock

Postby Angela33 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:07 pm

I just joined the forum after reading some excellent advice written by the Parrot Wizard. I have a feeling that I am going to need your help as I have just been given a hand raised Rainbow Lorikeet and I need to learn very fast how best to teach and train him.
Juicyfruit is a stunningly beautiful bird - probably one of the prettiest parrots in a country that has it's fair share of stunners. You can read all you like but sharing the trials and joys of bird rearing is something that frankly bores most of my friends - and that's really why I'm here.
I'm sure that you'll get a laugh out of some of Juicyfriut's antics as I teeter between being delighted and terrified by him. He is anything but shy. Kind Regards, Angela. :rainbow:
Angela33
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, cockatiels, african peach faced lovebirds & one rainbow lorikeet.
Flight: No

Re: Another Australian joins the flock

Postby Harpmaker » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:46 am

Welcome to the forum Angela33 and Juicyfruit! We have some very knowledgeable people here, who are delighted to help in any way they can.

Rainbow Lorikeets that I have seen are indeed stunning. We would love to see pictures.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:30 am

Lorries seem to be sweet, inquisitive birds, for the most part. The biggest problem with them seems to be keeping the cage clean. We have about 20 lorries at the rescue right now, and it take 2 volunteers all day to feed the nectar and other foods, clean the cages, scrub the walls, and clean the floors.

Even when the lorries nip, it never seems to be bad. Rather than be scared, remember that when he nips, it means you're pushing him a bit too far. Try to notice what he does before he bites. There are usually warning signs.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 am

Welcome to the forum, Angela and Juicyfruit (what a great name!). We will be more than happy to help in any way we can but, please, take into consideration that Michael's work has been with pois which are completely different from lorries...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:05 pm

Welcome , welcome , welcome OMG juicy fruit ( perfect name ) you probably understand by now how the name came about. :lol: messey little poopers. I recommend a full skirt around the bottom of the cage. Really the only experience I've ever had with a lorikeets was when I babysat one for a week for a friend and by god the little bugger would try to poop on you when you walked by the cage. :shock: They can squirt real far and accurate. That was many years ago with zero bird experience, now with as many birds as I have it probably wouldn't bother me as much. Again welcome, (bird woman) p.s. They do have a specialized diet.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Welcome to the forum. The name is really cute.

I am amazed at how much poop the cockatiels put on the walls. I have scrubbed the walls so much that I need to paint the room.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby mmeager » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 am

Welcome fellow Aussie!
Our birds antics are all so hilarious! My god these little guys have so much character and personality!
Love to hear all about Juicyfruit. Male/Female? Or unknown?
Right at this very moment my wife is trying to eat her dinner, but our dear Zoltin seems to think he has full rights to her dinner as well! The battle rages with me in fits of laughter!!! I think I should probably go rescue my wife so she can eat in peace! lol
Welcome to the forum!
mmeager
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:33 am

Would really love to hear more about you and your bird, beginning with how long you have had him. As these birds tend to have a fairly long life, if you have not had him for very long, I would concentrate on winning his trust and bonding rather than training until there is a bond between you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Introductions