Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello (not sure if I should be here but..)

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello (not sure if I should be here but..)

Postby Emily » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi, I'm not completely sure on whether I should be here or not as I have never owned a bird before, but I'd like to get one someday. I'm willing to learn all I can about keeping a parrot. I know I'm not ready yet as I suffer from some personal problems, but I'm hoping I'll be better enough to handle one in the future. I only have a mouse, which is really all I can handle at the moment (he is a lovely little guy though)..

So, yeah, hello.. I hope it's okay that I'm here? I'm specifically looking toward having an African grey, but only when I'm ready, which I'm hoping this forum will help with. <3
Emily
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello (not sure if I should be here but..)

Postby Bird woman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi Emily , this forum should give you a lot of insight on what to expect owing a parrot and all about the enormous responsibility keeping a feathered friend happy and healthy. Good for you wanting to learn all you can and recognizing that you are not ready for this particular life long commitment. Different species have different care and needs. Read and ask questions we will be happy to answer them. Bird Woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, Emily! We welcome all members regardless of the 'bird ownership status' :D and will be more than happy to help as much as we can.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Emily » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks guys, I look forward to it all. :)
Emily
Parakeet

Postby mmeager » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 am

Welcome to the forum Emily!
I wish more people were like yourself, with not only understanding weather you are ready or not, but also understanding that much research and learning is required before committing to such an important and long term decision.
My experience so far has been nothing short of life changing! In a very beautiful way. I cannot explain the pleasure and pure joy my beautiful little boy gives me. But in saying that there is also the other side to consider. Sharing your life with a bird can and will also be very frustrating, expensive, time consuming, confusing, messy! And physically painful!! (bites, scratches.) Requires understanding and patience, but I wouldn't give it up for the world!!!
This forum and the people here are a wealth of information, so take advantage of that, and use it to make the best decisions.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby liz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 am

Welcome Emily.

You are wise to learn before you get a parrot. In this forum we talk about almost anything about birds. You will also get an idea of how each species is. Of course in the species are many little beings with different personalities.

Some of us became "parronts" without warning and had to learn fast. I still depend on the great people in this forum. They are willing to share what they know and I am grateful to get the info.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Emily » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you all. <3 I'm trying to find out if there are any parrots around me I might be able to meet so I can get used to being around them first.
Emily
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:42 am

Look for rescues and ask if you can volunteer there. Nothing like hands-on when it comes to parrots!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:06 am

Navre has been volunteering and keeping us up on the birdies he takes care of.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Introductions