Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tennessee USA sun coure help!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Tennessee USA sun coure help!

Postby Swanson34 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Hello everyone I'm kala I'm from a little small town called adamsville,Tennessee, I'm brand new to the owning of a bird period. In nov I rescued a said to be highly aggressive no manner and couldn't fly 6 yr old female sun conure. Well I've been doing quite the research and I'm not to sure if she's a girl or boy anymore and she can definitely fly and most certainly took a likening to me, as in I can hold cuddle talk to pretty much do whatever I'd like to her. But as soon as someone else walks in the room including my dogs she takes flight after them and attacks them after her attack she will come back to me and start laughing at them. Idk how to fix that. Also she has recently started "regurgitating" "throwing up" her food and tries to force it into my mouth or if I don't Willingly take it on my neck or clothes. I'm asking for help! So please, more or less for Delilah than myself. Thanks, first timer.
Swanson34
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Tennessee USA sun coure help!

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Hormones are out of control, your bird has bonded to you and precieves every one as a threat and will do what ever it takes to make the threat go away. That could also include biting you to make you move away from the intruder if your bird can't make the intruder leave. A lot of people laugh and think it's funny , I used too but this behavior can become aggressive to the point of someone including the bird getting hurt. Putting your bird on a solar schedule, feeding the right foods especially for the time of year , proper lighting , not sexually stimulating your bird because of improper petting and cuddling practices and setting boundaries . There is so much to learn , lots of good materials on this site to read. That trying to regurgitate is a perfectly normal thing one does to there mate :shock: yes that is now you! :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Swanson34 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:14 pm

How does one set boundaries with her? I was always told males seemed to be more attracted to female humans an the other way around? Is the only way to find out what Delilah truly is, by going to the vet or can I figure that out myself. Sometimes I can't help myslef laughing at them being attacked, most of the time I yell Delilah! Stop! Come back here now! But when she does she just starts laughing Hysterically and I tell her bad girl! and she gets put up. She stays in my main room(living room) where we mostly stay until bed or dinner and even then she can still see us. She's not a fan of people period really she will start squealing her head off when someone or something enter the room. I'm not familiar with birds humping but I'm pretty sure she tries to do so so then again I tell STOP IT NOW. and she will squawk and bite my finger or whatever is close to her. She will start breathing very heavily as welll. I didn't realize how much personality one bird could have I love her but she has got some pretty bad habits. The man whom I got her from (for free) may I add literally kept her locked in her cage and covered every single day to keep her "quiet "
Swanson34
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 pm

She was abused, neglected and poisoned with a bad diet as well as deprived of sunshine.

Mine get the normal dawn coming through the window. At 9am I have their special light turned on and feed them a low protein soaked grain with fruit and veggies. Frozen fruit and veggies have the highest nutrition unless you pick your own every morning. I leave their breakfast with them to pick on all day. At 4pm they get seed and 1 almond in the shell. I also give them a little salt free pretzel and half a salt free graham cracker to make sure they are full at bedtime That is when their light is turned off and they get a natural dusk.

Though I have had my birds for about 16 years I am still learning from the other members since 2011. There is a lot of info here but you need help right away. If you have any questions feel free to ask. You can't let it go on. She was rehomed for free because her human did not want to take the time to care for her so he just basically threw her away.

They all have individual personalities and only a caring human can pick up on them. (My Amazons seem to be the opposite of any others but then I am not quite normal myself.) A caring human can also adjust the personality with love and care.

Keep us informed and don't be afraid to ask. I have asked some pretty dumb questions and no one flinched. I did get fussed at once for not paying attention but I did deserve it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 pm

That's all right Liz sometimes I don't pay attention either but I just blame it on age :lol: I only have experience with mostly larger birds but honestly this bird has bonded to you and you haven't said what kind of schedule she's on or what she eats that could be most helpful. Although it is important knowing the sex in case there is something wrong with the bird so certain things a vet can rule out knowing it's sex BUT that's a myth about birds bonding to the opposite sex. They'll even bond to each other being the same sex :roll: tell us a complete day in the life of your girl from waking and time to going to bed what time . Covered? And does the hallway have a window or is there a place for the cage to be by a window??? Sooooo many questions BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Swanson34 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Delilah gets up at 5:30 am the time I awake for work I uncover say good morning,she releases it back to me she isn't outside of her cage at thisthisbtime, I let my dogs out and she squawks she's home by herself until 11 and hays my lunch I usually let her out and she sits on my shoulder for lunch usually share a small portion of my cheese burrito, lunch is 30 mins I preceded by saying lunch is over in your cage, she eats most A bagged food from Walmart but she seems to only pick through and get the sunflower seeds and littler seeds in the mix along with corn and the dried peppers 3:30 is when I'm home and I usually set on th couch with her and we talk j tell her about my day and say hold on time to let the dogs out so we go and let them out she squawks. By then it's time for a shower and dinner and then I feed her (pick through her bag for the good stuff) I've tried honey dew, grapes and all sorts of fresh fruit she seems to only
Like the grapes, and we eat together she's next to a window and a closed to to keep the heat up during the day it's pretty cold in tn right now,she's never covered when I'm home unless it's time for bed I don't leave a tv or anything on it's just quiet mostly unless th dogs bark while inI their cagess. And the day starts over
Swanson34
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:00 am

Welcome to the forum and no wonder she is aggressive! The poor thing is overly hormonal from the human (not bird) light schedule and high protein/high fat diet. Parrots are all one-person birds but they don't attack others UNLESS they are super hormonal or perceive an immediate threat to their relationship with their chosen one. But telling her to stop will not work because the behavior is hard-wired into her brain (you can't train an animal to behave contrary to what nature evolved them to do). What you need to do is to get her endocrine system back in tune with the seasons so she is not in constant pain as well as extremely frustrated by her sexual hormones.

First thing you need to do is change her diet (what she is eating will, literally and without exaggeration, kill her in time) to a low protein one with lots of fresh produce (look in our diet section and, if you have any doubts after, just ask and we will answer) and change her light schedule to a bird one instead of a human one. Dogs and cats do perfectly well with a human schedule but not birds because they are photoperiodic (it just means that their bodies know when it's spring -breeding season- or winter -resting season- by the number of light hours in each day).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Honestly pajirta I feel this is one of those times I would recommend a good organic pellet with the addition of fresh veggies and a little fruit daily. Grapes are high in sugar try blueberry much more nutritious, get rid of any of that Walmart seed very poor quality!!! Do you check the dates before you by it , I'll guarantee it's probably expired :shock: although your bird will waste a lot maybe for a very long time you must start introducing chopped veggies until she starts to eat it. No more burritos if you love your fid!!!! BW. You can order good quality seed mixes and pellets on line. Or maybe look for a good pet store and always check dates.
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am

BW, the problem with feeding pellets to a sun conure that has been eating seeds all along is that you are 1) still feeding too much protein (which needs to be reduced asap), 2) not enough fiber or moisture or even vitamins and minerals (pellets have a 'generic' maintenance level or man-made which is not utilized as efficiently as the food-derived vitamins and minerals you find in produce) and 3) a looooong transition when it's much better to have a quick one (so as to 'fix' the problems asap). Most conures are, primarily, fruit eaters so anything dry and with unknown protein content is going to be very difficult to feed right -you would, basically, need to count the number of pellets you feed (and this takes time because you need to make sure the weight is steady so we are talking weighing once a week for weeks and weeks until you find the perfect number) and resign yourself to the bird been hungry most of the time for the rest of its life. This works great for training because the bird is always hungry and willing to 'work' for any kind of food but not what I would call a kind approach...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Like I said I know absolutely nothing about this species and would recommend the easiest , simplest and quickest fix you can put together for this particular situation because I fear if things are to complicated , the saying old habits die hard will be in this BIRDS future . Sometimes things that are explained on this forum in great detail are simply to overwhelming for the inexperienced that is looking for help are able to process , let alone follow. BW ;)
Bird woman
Amazon

Next

Return to Introductions