Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from the UK

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello from the UK

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi I am from Cheshire in the UK. Have been keeping parrots since 1997. My husband has 2 greys a Timneh and a Congo who are 19 years old and I have Chattering Lory who is 5 years and a Black headed caique who is 5 months.
I had an older Chattering Lory who I lost at 17 last year and a rescue Jardine who was 11and had health problems who I lost earlier this year.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from the UK

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Hello from southern Oregon , I have 10 rescues and over the years have lost 2 . It's the most heart breaking thing in the world as they become your family. I'm sorry for your loss but as you probably know by now when rescuing you are rarely told the truth about there past and most are in poor condition or fed garbage and the damage is already done . I've spent 1000's on vet bills and countless hours trying to undo the damage that is done to these birds before I get them but it is on the other hand very rewarding being able to give them a wonderful life for as many years as they have left. Welcome to the forum and thank you for opening your home to rescues. :thumbsup: :swaying: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:29 pm

All of mine are rescues. Some come in twos and I also took in a family of four. Rescues come in bad shape and usually with no history. Some had been passed around so many times that the human I got them from did not even know their names or how old they were. Three came from rescues that did not have the ability to give them the constant care needed. I also think I got a few from "flippers". Some were visibly sick and others had been mutilated. I have lost a few also.

I have never asked anything of them but to be happy and they rewarded me with that. The Cockatiel flock helps take care of new rescues. Little Cockatiels have no defenses but are much braver when in a flock. Some had every right to never trust another human because of how they were treated. They do not want touched and I respect their space. They are afraid of hands for good reason. Even the worst of them have called me to tweeter with them (even if they are hiding behind another). I love those little guys and don't know how anyone could be mean to them.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:46 am

My jardine was afraid of hands and bit when I got him. After a few months I got him stepping up and he would sit with me and snuggle and had started to relax more.
He had an ongoing problem with his lungs as he had been in a fire. He had been allowed to free fly in a room with an open fire and no firegard. He recovered from that at a rescue and his feathers grew back before I adopted him.
I made him special bark covered perches as his grip on one foot wasn't strong when I got him.
Amazed me one morning climbing upside down on his cage from the bars hanging from the roof with his claws which I never thought he would be able to do.
I eventually lost him to the ongoing lung problem when he didnt respond to nebulising anymore.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:49 am

Welcome, Lorius and friends! So sorry to hear about the loss of your friends!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Pajarita wrote:Welcome, Lorius and friends! So sorry to hear about the loss of your friends!

Hello Lorius from another UK person. I am sorry that you lost your birdfriend after everything you did for him. Do remember though that you gave him a happy life.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Return to Introductions