Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

little parrot with an attitude

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

little parrot with an attitude

Postby conurecrazy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm a bird owner in my 20s. I've had my green cheek since I was in middle school. She's the best parrot (I might be biased) and full of personality. She was a bit of a spur of the moment decision all those years ago, and now that I'm out of college and figuring out everything I've realized how long of a commitment owning a parrot really is. I'm joining this site to get advice on training to make things such as dating and roommates with a parrot in tow easier! I'm planning on starting back at the training basics and hopefully getting her to a point where she can consistently interact with other people without the need for bandaids... but for now I look forward to talking with some other parrot owners :gcc:
conurecrazy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Re: little parrot with an attitude

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Hello conure crazy, what's your baby's name? Michael has a lot of good info in the training section on this site and several good books you can purchase. You are going to have to pay particular attention to trying to scocialize your birdie and it would have been much easier if you would have done this in the beginning . It's too cute when they only have eyes for us , but the way life throws curve balls and things change its best to have her get along with new people and be curious about them instead of looking at them as a threat. Try for now letting others , roommate ,girlfriend etc.give some treats or sit beside her talking at first without you in the room . I don't have enough info as to if she is aggressive toward others or how she acts towards you or others when your around. More info please! ;) BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Your not biased. You are truthful like the rest of us who have the very best birds. LOL

It is wise of you to see it as you need to learn and teach her to "play well with others". Mine are both socialized but their personalities are different and one needs more attention than the other.

It is good to have you with us. Welcome.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 am

Welcome to the forum), Conurecrazy and GCC!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby conurecrazy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone! She used to get along with most people in her baby years but lately she isn't so sweet. She's ~10 years old now and in the last few years I think of a combo of hormones and a few bad experiences with people have set her against pretty much everyone except me. She won't bite me unless I accidentally hurt her (even then it's more like a firm nip) and will stand on strangers fingers for treats but that's about the end of her interactions with others. Her relationship with my ex was not so great- he thought she was cute but hated the screaming and was afraid of being bitten (a totally valid fear unfortunately). She will also blindly attack certain kinds of objects (plastic, paper towels, bananas etc) without a care for any fingers in the way... So these are a few of the problems I'm trying to sort through. The trained parrot blog looks like a really great resource for teaching her some of the things I should have from the beginning.
conurecrazy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:39 am

Well, if the bird is overly hormonal (and it sounds like it -my GCC doesn't bite or scream at all) and in pain from it, training will not do anything for her aggression so I suggest you take a two-pronged approach: do the training but, at the same time, make sure she is not eating too much protein (very easy to do with GCCs if you free-feed) and that she is kept to a bird light schedule.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions