Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seeking a Senegal or an African Grey baby parrot

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Seeking a Senegal or an African Grey baby parrot

Postby crystal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Hi There everyone.. I'm Crystal, and just joined this awesome forum, and I have a beautiful 5 yr old scarlet Mccaw parrot named Merlin.. and I'm searching to get another parrot, either a senegal or an african grey baby parrot at a reasonable price. Would anyone have any info for me? Thanks much :)
crystal
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Scarlett Mccaw
Flight: No

Re: Seeking a Senegal or an African Grey baby parrot

Postby Bird woman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi crystal, most of us on here do not advocate buying from breeders but would highly recommend opening up your heart and home to a rescue. There are so many that need forever homes . If interested in adopting check parrot santuarys in your neighborhood or let us know where you are and we can help you locate one. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:18 am

The advantage of going through a rescue sanctuary is that you can visit and learn the personality of your bird before you take it home.

It is better to get one that has already gone through puberty.

All of mine are rescues from Craigslist. Some I paid the rehome on them without even seeing them first. I paid $100 for 2 Cockatiels that I bought in a parking lot. They came to me in two little cardboard boxes and I did not see them until I got them home.

I do not require anything from my Cockatiels except that they are happy. I am one of the few that will rescue sight unseen. Of course I do not recommend this kind of rescue for others.

www.rescueme.org covers all states and most are on there from their humans who can give you info on them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:59 am

I guess that I am going to be somewhat of a party pooper here, but hopefully not entirely. first thing that I am always concerned about when adding a new bird is the size of the birds involved, especially looking at the difference in the beak sizes as this is one of the quickest ways to invites disaster, for this reason I try to keep all the birds that might interact at all close to the same size both in body size and in beak size and strength.

The other thing that I think that you need to be aware of is that a Grey parrot is a dust bird, like cockatoos and cockatiels, they have special feathers that crumble into a very fine waterproof dust and for some birds such as macaws this dust can cause various degrees of respiratory distress if you are not aware of this and are not careful enough.

I am not trying to discourage you, only let you know some of the things to consider when choosing a new bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:18 pm

I agree with BW, Wolf and Liz. I also recommend adopting (SOOOOO much easier on the human and kinder on the homeless animals) and I would also ask you to take certain things into consideration - like the difference in size and the fact that both species you mentioned require a deep personal bond with their human, same as the one you already have. I don't know how long your macaw has been with you but, if you got it as a baby, wait another year so you'll know exactly how he will be as a sexually active adult and, if he was recently adopted, wait until he has been with you for, at least, two more years before you introduce a bird that he will consider a threat to his relationship with you. Senegals are fearless and bond very deeply with their human while grays are not known for sharing or even liking other birds...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions