Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello ... m new and inexperianced

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello ... m new and inexperianced

Postby Malik » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Hii , my name is Malik and i am from Dubai. I just got a flock of 2 parrots. One african gray names as Tango and one blue eyed cockatoo named Roza. Need help from all of you to have them with me in best of their personalities nd abilities. Looking fwd to learn from you nd explore my 2 babies abilities.
Malik
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray , blue eyes cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Hello ... m new and inexperianced

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi toooo the 3 of you. Welcome and explore all the posts on teaching, food, housing etc and ask all the questions you want someone will always answer. I'd love to hear about your birds and see pics. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 am

I always seem to be bragging on my parrots but I only know what they and this forum has taught me. Answering a post is just explaining my bird's reaction to their surroundings.

Bragging is almost a requirement. Ask any question no matter how dumb you feel. There may be someone else who needed the answer too.

Welcome
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:39 am

Welcome to the forum, Malik and friends!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Malik » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you very much bird woman. I appriciate ur reply. I have a question can i keep cockatoo nd african gray in same cage. The prrson i got it from saod yess no problem. I havnt seen them attacking each other too. Cockatoo is big in age ... african gray is less than 5 months .... kindly suggest. Cage is quite big so space is not an issue.
Malik
Parakeet

Postby Malik » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you very much guys .... i just posted my first query .... may be some what dumb but i think its basic thing to start with which i m not sure of.
Malik
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:58 pm

I would not try to keep the Grey and the Cockatoo together in the same cage as this is something that is not likely to work out well and is much more likely to lead to the injury and possible death of one or both birds.

Both of these birds are high maintenance birds, in that both of them bond very closely to their chosen human and require a lot of individual time with that person, both of these birds will likely consider the other bird as a rival for the attention of the human and this will only lead to them aggressively attacking each other.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Wolf is very right, at the very least you will eventually end up with an injury. The thing about birds is there attitudes can change on a dime and you can always count on a change when there hormones kick in. I have cages that are together and open during the day and my little LSC always goes next door to visit my little maxi ( Quaker) but there have been spats and beaking between them at times and if they were locked up together I'm sure max would be on the loosing end , maybe even dead. My two big mollucans never paid attention to max but when they became hormonal they would have killed him if they could catch him. Just not a good idea at all. Would be easier just one cage to deal with I have 10 huge ones and pajirta has tons , but everybody needs there own space to feel safe and not be on guard all the time. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 am

I agree with both Wolf and Birdwoman, you cannot put a cockatoo and a gray in the same cage (the cockatoo will either kill or hurt the gray badly) and, as a matter of fact, eventually (your gray is too young yet but it will grow up), you might have to be careful about letting them out at the same time because neither one is ever going to accept your relationship with the other. And I hope you are a stay at home person because, if you are not, I don't see how you can possibly spend enough hours of one-on-one with each of them separately (both species require more hours of human interaction than others). Also, make sure you have a very large air purifier in the room where they are because both are dust birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:43 am

Wolf wrote:I would not try to keep the Grey and the Cockatoo together in the same cage as this is something that is not likely to work out well and is much more likely to lead to the injury and possible death of one or both birds.

Both of these birds are high maintenance birds, in that both of them bond very closely to their chosen human and require a lot of individual time with that person, both of these birds will likely consider the other bird as a rival for the attention of the human and this will only lead to them aggressively attacking each other.

Not that Wolf ever needs help from me with his post but I will help anyway. The Birds claim their cages as their personal space. two in one does not work out
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to Introductions