Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello everyone

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello everyone

Postby ahammer26 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello everyone I am new here, thank in advance for all the help, and I have been taking care of my grandmothers green winged macaw, yellow naped Amazon parrot, cockatiel, and lovebird. Which I found out when she passes I will be getting her birds and I am trying to get them used to me I am new to parrots all together I so far have changed there food to something healthier but my grandmother has let the macaw get aggressive she won't listen to me and she strikes at her cage alot and I have a hard time feeding her due to she is always trying to bite me then the yellow naped Amazon parrot has only one leg cuz she escaped one day I guess and the macaw bit it off I give her alittle more treatment but she bites too she won't bite my grandmother though. Her cockatiel is very old and used to be a breeding cockatiel she used to breed and sell them it plucks it's feathers out and won't let me even handle it it just freaks out and her lovebird she just got less then a year ago has never been hand held she is super afraid of the macaw because the macaw has gone on top of its cage before trying to get into its cage. It alot of stress to be dumped on me and my grandmother has no idea how to teach me how to take care of the birds any ideas suggestions would help. I already plan to have my father help me do the macaws nails since the macaw semi listens to him. Like I said thank you everyone and thank you for this group and add and any ideas/suggestions
ahammer26
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Green winged macaw, yellow naped Amazon parrot, cockatiel, lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. This is not a process that is likely to happen very quickly so be aware that it is going to take a lot of patience to help these birds. We will do all we can to assist you so please tell us as much as you can about them and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind and we will answer to the best of our ability.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby ahammer26 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:54 pm

The macaws name is Max she is in her early 30s and as far as I know never been to the vet and has had a bad diet for the last 10years her nails are so bad they are curling I know my grandmother loves her birds but she should of asked for help years ago. Max does come out of her cage ounce in a blue moon but I only do it when my father is over because last time I did it with just me and my grandmother she went after the other birds in there cages. Max lunges at me in the cage and tries to bite me every time I try to feed/water her but she wants my attention if I walk away she starts screaming bloody murder and squacking but then I give her attention by talking to her she will say hello my grandmother said at one time she one was very well trained. The yellow naped amazon parrots name is Lola she is in her late 30s she is better behaved but she still bites me when I am in her cage but if I were a jacket she will step up to go see my grandmother but since her balance is so horrible since she only has one foot she falls easy I try to catch her and always get bit trying to help her up but she let me give her treats and scratch her threw the cage only. Like I said above the cockatiel its name is Jj it is in its 20s it doesn't let me near it I go to feed it it flips out and the love bird is flappers it is 2 years old my grandmother got it from my sister's friend and it's never had any training it also never bit me it just freaks when I am in its cage. I mostly need help with Max and Lola they are bigger then I am used to and are aggressive towards me. Thank you all in advance
ahammer26
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green winged macaw, yellow naped Amazon parrot, cockatiel, lovebird

Postby Harpmaker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, ahammer, Max, Lola, JJ, and Flappers! There are a lot of people here who have birds like yours who will be happy to share experiences with you. What part of the world do you live in? I ask so that we can recommend things that are more likely to be available to you.

A lot of birds are cage aggressive-they bite when you invade their space. Many are perfectly sweet outside the cages. But if they don't get to come out, you don't know how they will behave.

I would seriously consider allowing Lola full flight feathers. My little parrot(who is perfect, of course ;) ) recently lost enough flight feathers in an accident to be grounded for a while, and she stopped trusting her balance with 2 perfectly good feet. Feathers grew in and her confidence is back. In the meantime, Lola may be so frightened by a fall that she bites the first thing that she can reach, even if they are trying to help. Birds can be silly that way-but it still hurts!
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby ahammer26 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Harpmaker thanks for the info the birds live with my grandmother in Buffalo,NY I communicate from Kent,NY ever other week I stay ever other week with her and my dad stays with her the week I am not there but I will be getting the birds when she passes All birds have all flying feathers. Lola has all her feathers she used to fly a long time ago when I was little but she is overweight I believe and again. Has never been to vet I have changed her diet as well and have been taking her out of the cage more often But when she is out she won't anyone touch her but my grandmother and only lets me pet her threw her cage and max is aggressive all together last time she was out like I said she went after the other birds and more information on that is we had to chase her around kitchen since she didn't want to go into cage or on top of her cage we had to just keep her blocked off from the birds till she walked into her cage. Thank you for the help
ahammer26
Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Welcome , are the birds going to move in with you eventually? Because if they are you need to study about what is called the honeymoon period. Sometimes it's a great time to make big strides in handling , feeding and bonding with parrots. You have so much to learn with that many new birds and all different . I know how your going to feel I had way to many rescues come in all at once this summer , all with special needs and medical problems and I'm experienced at this. We will help you all we can that you can count on. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby ahammer26 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 am

Bw they will move in with me once my grandmother either dies or is put into a nursing home she is 89 and she has pretty much told me verbally that since my dad is getting her house when she passes that since I am so patient and good with the parrots that I will get them so it is only a matter of time I am trying while my grandmother is still here to get them to behave. But like I stated above the problems I am having and my grandmother can't help she has had rhumatoid arthritis in her hands and she is very forgetful. I am trying the past 2 months and I am so glad I found you guys I need the help thank you
ahammer26
Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 am

You need to start getting there space thought out and ready so at least that can be a smooth transition. I would concentrate on trying to just spend quiet time next to there cages giving healthy treats and talking calmly in a soothing voice to the birds to get them to relax with you. I'll tell you if this was my situation I would talk to grandma about taking 1 bird at a time home before all of this piles up on your head at once. Taking 1 at a time will accomplish many things in a good way for you and the birds. First you would have time to bond with them easier and get the first one on a healthy diet , vet checked and comfortable . My fear with this many moving into your home all at once is you WILL be overwhelmed and the noise factor alone if you don't own your own home could be a problem. I've had some that were real quiet at first and some that 24/7 screamers. Each bird should have minimum a few months with you out of grandmas house . I'm sure these birds haven't been outside or have access to proper lighting for years if I'm getting the picture right which means they are vitamin deffeciant. Maybe grandma will let you get a carrier and you could at least take the smallest one to a good avain vet and you could explain how these birds have been living , diet , lighting exercise tell the vet everything and I'm sure they will help you get a game plan together for a healthy happy flock of birds. Make sure a BIRD VET. Let me know if I can help more . Bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am

Welcome to the forum!

Ouch, what a situation... those poor birds are suffering, my dear, and I thank you for wanting to make things better for them! I hope you are ready for a lot of work and changes in your life because the changes will need to be implemented every day so, if you only go there every other week, unless you can train your father to do all the necessary stuff when you are not there, nothing is going to work.

In any case, here goes my two cents: First thing you need to do is take the macaw and the amazon to an avian vet and have them checked with full blood work. This needs to include bile acids test for both because the long, curling claws of the macaw is a typical symptom of fatty liver disease and amazons are extremely prone to it so you need to know if these birds have it or not. Now, this is going to cost a pretty penny and I don't know what your situation is or if your grandmother would be willing to pay for it or, at least, part of it. Going by what you posted, I doubt she will be willing or able to so I hope you have resources for this because, for what you have told and taking into consideration their age, I am afraid that these birds are in real bad physical shape and will need treatment as well as a drastic change in husbandry.

The first thing is to get them to eat a good, fresh food diet but, again, if they don't get the food every day, they will never get used to eating it because, with parrots, it's a matter of giving them the food every single day at dawn and eating it with them or they will never become familiar enough with it. I am assuming here but it seems to me that these two birds are been fed too much protein so, if this is the case, you need to reduce it immediately.

Then you have to make sure they are kept at a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk and that they have a good quality full spectrum light in the ceiling fixture of the room they are kept for during the day (this will get their endocrine system back in track and will decrease aggression).

You need to trim the claws of the macaw and put sweetfeet perches in her cage instead of what she has now (most likely dowels which are real bad for their feet and toes). You also need to make sure the amazon's claws are not too long so she cannot grab the perch firmly enough. It worries me that she loses her balance because although you think it's because she has only one leg, it's not. Birds (especially parrots which have incredibly strong feet and toes because they use them for climbing) don't fall off a perch or lose their balance just because they have only one leg. It might happen the first day or two after they lose one leg or foot but they learn to compensate very quickly so, if she is losing her balance, we are talking of some sort of medical problem beyond the lack of one leg (it could be liver malfunction as, when it's advanced, ammonia accumulates in the brain impairing neurological functions, especially balance).

You need to put them on a daily (unchanged) routine. This will reduce anxiety, make them trust you (the very foundation of a good relationship between an animal and a human) and enrich their lives (and they need this ASAP!). It will also allow you to let them out. I know that you are afraid of them but if you don't get over the fear, you will never be able to keep them so, in reality, you have no choice about it. Parrots only bite when they are scared, as a way of protecting themselves/their nest/their mates, when they were shown by humans that this is the only way to get their point across or when they are in pain and/or complete despair. You need to eliminate all the reasons why these parrots are biting and, when you do, they won't. In the meantime, you can use a stick to get them to step up so you can move them from point A to point B. If they don't already step up to a stick (most birds do this much more readily than to a hand), you can start target training them from inside the cage so you can teach them to do this -but you need to change their diet for that because they will only do it if you reward them with a high value item and, if they are free-fed (it means filling up a bowl and leaving it there all day long) protein food (pellets, seeds, nuts, avicakes, nutriberries), there will be no treat good enough to make them learn.

Can you tell us what their daily schedule normally is? Like when do they wake up, when are they put to bed, given food, etc - do they have any routines where they interact with people? Toys? Out of cage time? Also, what is their diet? Tell us what they eat, not what they are given, and how often, and the brand of the staple food (this will allow us to figure out what needs changing/tweaking, what needs to be eliminated, etc)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ahammer26 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:46 am

I plan to discuss taking them to the vet to my dad it would be a combination of our income I ATM have only temporary assistance and my bf has SSI and SSD my father works full time as a nurses aid. I have txted my father asking the type of food that I bought since I had to return to my place I am renting ATM because I have a draft appt and I missed my dog and before anyone worries he is good with the birds even when max got out he ran the other way with his tail between his legs lol anyways on schedule when I am there they get fed every day at noon and get put to bed at 10 even thou all lights are out there Lola is the only wine that will let me let her out and max has not been out in a few weeks and refuses to come out of cage the cockatiel and love bird are not trained at all . Also you are right they don't get much sunlight they have a sliding glass window next to them but the shades don't open. When my dad is there they get fed every other day and when the macaw is fed like that she shakes/shivers they get peanuts and peanut butter crackers as treats and before I moved in grama was feeding both parrots Bologna and stale bread and American cheese . I been feeding them apples as a treat and trying to see what they like but the macaw is stubborn she will take something and drop it and not eat it or even try it the Amazon at least true it but again has difficulty since she has 1leg and the leg that got bitten of was her dominant leg. Yes the macaw has a horrible perch she has a old curtian rod in her cage I need to measure her cage and buy her a new perch and I just bought her a prevue large pet toy my only fear is of the macaw she is huge and I have pushing my own boundaries with her by petting her beak when she is chewing on the cage but then she tries to bite me but I don't flinch I just speak softly to her. Thank you everyone this is a bunch of info to process and I will let my father know we need to work together on this or it won't work
ahammer26
Parakeet

Next

Return to Introductions