Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello everyone

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:46 am

OMG bologna and stale bread! Ouch! Please PLEASE don't take this the wrong way! I do realize that you are trying your very best in a real bad and very difficult situation all around but, my dear, if you don't make changes fast, those birds are not going to last very long. As it is, there might be irreversible damage already done...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ahammer26 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 pm

I have stopped feeding them the bread, Bologna, and American cheese I told her it was bad for them my dad is txting me the type of food when he gets out of work. I give them apples and the crackers with peanut butter inside and yes I know that isn't healthy either but she won't eat anything else I have tried nuts and other fruits. And yes they get a full bowl of there bird seed all day
ahammer26
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Green winged macaw, yellow naped Amazon parrot, cockatiel, lovebird
Flight: No

Postby ahammer26 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 pm

My dad txted me the parrots are eating 3-D pet products premium parrot and the cockatiel and lovebird are eating Hartzs
ahammer26
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green winged macaw, yellow naped Amazon parrot, cockatiel, lovebird

Postby Wolf » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:20 pm

you do indeed need all the help that you can get and have a lot to do before you are ready to bring the birds home with you and it appears that time is not exactly on your side in this. I think that the following link to toxic and non toxic items will help you a lot. It contains information about safe and toxic foods, woods, plants, trees and household items. I would try and make a copy of the lists and use it for a reference to help you to start setting up for these birds. It will help you to pick out some healthy foods for them to eat that are not only great for daily foraging but for treats as well. the actual lists begin on the second page of the link. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12521

While the birds are still where they are you will need to spend a lot of time just sitting near them and talking to them and watching them so that you can begin to get a feel for their body language and their normal noises, I assure you that they are trying to communicate with you and once they begin to see that you are trying to listen to them they will bein to trust you more. While you are sitting and talking with them you could use some of the bird safe fruits as treats although you will probably need to nibble on them to get them to eat them especially if they have not eaten them before. This will help them make the transition easier when it comes time for them to move in with you and make it easier on you as well.

Please don't be bashful in asking questions no matter how basic they may seem to be, These birds are highly intelligent and it will amaze you at just how intelligent they are. They will be watching and studying you all of the time.

Although I have kept everything that I have said to just the very basics, I hope that it will point you in the right direction as to the foods that they need as well as preparing a safe place for them to live with you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

You need to stop feeding them bad things or free-feeding seeds. I know it seems like they won't eat anything else but I assure you they will. All my birds came to me as adults and the greatest majority had bad diets and they are all eating a very healthy one now. I have transitioned over 400 parrots to a better diet (I used to run a bird rescue) and, although it takes time, planning and a bit of work, it's perfectly doable.

You need to start by replacing the bowls of seed with bowls of whole grains cooked al dente. Use grains like kamut, wheat, hulled barley, oat groats, teff, red and/or black rice, etc. All these things are now found in regular supermarkets but, if yours doesn't carry them, get them online. Cook them with plenty of water (you can always drain them later) so they are still hard inside but soft in the outside (about 30 minutes will do it). Put some in their bowl and add just a little bit of seeds which you will mix in with the grains (this is so they learn that the grains are food, just like the seeds are). It will take a couple of days but they will stop just picking the seeds out and start eating the grains (you will see white empty 'skins') - when they have been eating this without a problem for a few days, start adding corn to it (they all LOVE corn!), once they are eating it, add peas and carrots, wait until they are eating them - then add chopped broccoli (it needs to be chopped small or they will just pick up the piece and throw it out). Every day, offer them one fruit, one veggie and one leafy green (a different one so one day it would be apples and red peppers - another oranges and cucumbers - another grapes and green beans, like that). The leafy green will be the last thing they will start eating (it will take a looooooong time for it) but you can make it so they think it's something for them to shred by bunching up a few leaves and sticking them between the bars of the cage - and always make sure you (or your dad) stands in front of the cage (head at same level as parrot's) and eats the same fruit it's there - you can also offer a bite of your own piece but make sure you are offering the other side that has your bite on it because you don't want human mouth bacteria going into them.

Both amazons and macaws are great eaters of produce, especially fruits, so if you put a bit of work into it, you should be able to switch them without a whole lot of grief.

But, my dear, PLEASE take those birds to the vet because, with the diet they've been getting and at their age, they have to have health issues (fatty liver, high uric acid, high cholesterol, etc).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ahammer26 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 am

Thank you everyone I am returning to my grandmother s today and start implementing the food difference to them and discuss with my father about getting the parrots to the vet. Do all the vegetables that the birds are allowed need to be cool or raw?
ahammer26
Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:09 pm

I think you need to start educating yourself right away about what TO and not to feed these birds and with that which ones need to be cooked and or peeled. Good rule of thumb for me anyway is if it grows in the ground I wash peel and cook. When it grows on the ground I wash peel and sometimes cook . If it's above ground I wash throughly peel if not organic. Not all veggies and fruits follow that rule and not are all safe. Study well my busy friend and good luck. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Previous

Return to Introductions