Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird behaviour change

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Bird behaviour change

Postby Kingy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:22 am

Hi everybody
I'm new to this , I've got 3 birds
Long billed corella , blue and gold macaw and sun conure
My long bill is causing us some concern , he was the best bird , would interact with everyone , talk , ask for a kiss , yell out oi come here , his words go on and on , over time though he now sits at the back of his cage , won't talk , won't come to anyone other than my 11 year old son now , if go to pick him he shakes , and cowers , same with my daughter , we have no idea what's going on , he still has his stupid moments like his flapping and squawking 3 times a day , lives the hose , but be buggered if he'll to come to me anymore
He's slowly coming for a scratch , but that's taken me hour a day for 2 months
He's just changed , he's almost 5 now
Anyone else dealt with this kind of behaviour ?
Any tips or ideas ?

Macaw and conure are fine and still go to all of us
Kingy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw
Long billed corella
Sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird behaviour change

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:37 am

The first things that I do if any of my birds behaviors change suddenly are to take the bird to the vet as any change in behavior could be an indication of illness, these changes could be subtle or they could be highly noticeable ones such as you are describing, it is always best to rule out any medical reasons as soon as possible as this may save your birds life.

I would also look into any changes that may have been made recently in the birds environment, these could be as simple as moving the birds cage or putting a new toy in the cage, even a change in the way you dress or the color of your hair or nails can trigger the types of changes that ou describe. I would also look around for signs of other animals such as mice, look for holes in baseboards, behind furniture and droppings in or near the cages. There are far too many possibilities to try and list but these are some of the more common ones.

I hope that this will help you to figure out what is causing these changes so that you can remedy this situation quickly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Bird behaviour change

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 am

Yes, Wolf is right, first thing to do is take the bird to the vet because one needs to make sure there are no health issues going on as a change in behavior is one of the few symptoms we have to go on with birds.

But his age might have a lot to do with it because he has now reached the age of sexual activity and, if he has chosen your son, then he is his human and nobody else. Parrots are not family pets, they can tolerate a lot of people if they are kept right (good diet, solar schedule, lots of out of cage time, flight, etc) and they other people don't presume too much but they will only really love one person. And, just as an FYI and not meant as criticism but one hour a day is nothing to a parrot, especially a cockatoo!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions