Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Curious

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Curious

Postby Kagro3 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello,
I don't own any birds at the moment but I've been doing lots of research on Congo African greys and Moluccan Cockatoos. I've been having a hard time deciding which bird I want to add to my family . I'm a stay at home mom/ homemaker. Both my daughters are in school now while my husband works. I rarely leave the house during the day, unless I absolutely need something or have to get the girls from school, so I have the time to spend with whichever bird I get. Basically I would like to hear from anyone who has either or breed or who has both. It's a hard decision for me to make. Thank you for reading.
Kagro3
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Moluccan Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Curious

Postby liz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:30 am

The best way to find the bird that fits you is not to be species specific. Go to a rescue aviary and visit the birds. I would not look for species. I would look for personality if I was choosing a bird.

I have never really chosen a bird but have rescued. I got what they were and knew very little about their baggage. Once they realize that they are in a good and safe home their personalities shine through. By going to a rescue those people are already learning the personalities.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby alienlady » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:58 am

Since childhood I wanted a McCaw and an African grey, I haven't had either of them. I was chosen by an Amazon who was in need of a better home. She became the most loving bird you could wish for and not the unhappy bird I had seen. So as Liz said look for a bird in need of a loving home , don't buy from a breeder. When you find or when the bird finds you :lol: if you make it your world it will make you his/ hers.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 am

Both Liz and alien woman are right but I will give you the hard truth about both species as I have several of both. First off I don't think a mollucan is the best choice for a first time bird owner as they are the loudest and the most neediest of all. Not to mention there size and ability to do great damage on your entire house as well as you and your kids. They are very emotionally fragile and require or should I say demand a very large amount of your time. Mollucans are beautiful buffs of pink red and yellow feathers with big round eyes that you can litterly climb right into and when young the sweetest most cuddly affectionate love bug you could ever want. This is why everybody wants one. Now the truth about when they mature. If not scocialized properly and your husbandry which is there care lacks experience and they are not properly scocialized and fed right then they scream non stop,bite,lash out, destroy your house pick there feathers until they look pathetic all the while your trying to figure out what you did wrong. I don't know how old your children are but when these birds bond they will only bond to one person and they not you will choose. Then a whole new set of problems arise when they get hormonal. Anyone else that gets around there human will be a target. There is ways to get them to accept the rest of the household members as flock mates if properly scocialized . I love my too's and wouldn't give them up for the world but I know I will have 4yr. Olds for life and all that comes with it. :lol: Now for the greys, they are a lot less matainance and seem to be a more sturdy species. They are quite sensitive but not needy . Mine are a lot more independent and aren't glued to me 24/7. They do take a little more specialized diet and it is pretty classic for a grey to start plucking due to poor diet and calcium dfeciantcy. They are great talkers and would rather use words than scream so that's the big plus! :roll: but they also can be quite destructive if not given plenty to chew and a variety of toys for smart birds. I shop at the baby toy store for interactive toddler toys. They can also deliver a good bite but nothing like a too .Greys don't like change much and seem to be quite sensitive to it,but they adapt. Oh did I mention about powder birds? Well plan on dusting and vacuuming everyday with powder birds as a healthy bird is a powdery one. My too's are bathed regularly and I run hepa systems non stop , have housekeepers and there is always dust and feather down lurking around so powder species are a no no with any allergies at all!!! There's so much more I could be at this all day. There are great advantages to a rescue as the girls said and if you like we can get into the plus side of getting an older bird that needs a home :D there are a lot of advantages. What area are you in? Bird woman. OH AND WELCOME :danicing:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Kagro3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 am

Thank you all for the advice and replies :) My daughters are 9 and 6 and I'm from Pennsylvania. I own my home so I wouldn't have to worry about space or a landlord. I have 6 hours alone time ,while my husband works and my girls are at school, to spend with a bird as well as at least 6 hours after they get home. We don't travel and don't go on vacation for longer than a day trip or just overnight already because we have dogs. So being able to be there and spend lots of time with a bird isn't an issue. Before I had kids I had worked at a pet store for 4 years but the biggest bird we had was lovebirds there, which I had a pair of lovebirds of my own,until they died. I have been around a galah cockatoo, goffin cockatoo, and an amazon, as I had friends who owned them. I've read all about Toos and Greys being powder birds and how to bathe and blow dry ( teflon free). I already dust and vacuum daily ( I have dogs) So get a good amount of dog hair. Lol I literally have read so much about both birds that I have dreams about them. Their housing size, behaviors/behavior changes, health problems, how to care for each bird, training, what to feed both, foods that are toxic, household products that are harmful and/or toxic to birds,UV light bulbs, all different kinds of toys, things/toys to keep them busy, bathing, etc. (I even found an avian vet) I wrote down almost everything I read Lol I read that a women who owned a Too couldn't go around it when it was her time of the month because of how aggressive he got. Are all male birds like that? Would you sugguest a female or male? I know that all this research I'm doing isnt going to fully prepare me and it will be completely different when I actually do get a bird because it will be real life and I'll be actually living it other than just reading and remembering.Im trying to take my time and do this right over me wanting to hurry things up and get one already. I would be willing to consider helping a bird in need. I really appreciate all you all are telling me. Thank you! :thumb sup
Kagro3
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for taking the time to do an in-depth research about parrot keeping and the different needs different species have!

First of all, a couple of things that popped out of your posting. You can't blow-dry birds unless you are using cold air and I would not even recommend that. Drying their plumage with warm air will dry the natural oils in their feathers and their skin (warm baths are also a no-no as they strip the oils, too). They are not babies or dogs that have been domesticated for over 30,000 years, they are wild animals that were bred in captivity and, as such, it's best to keep things as close to what nature meant for them as possible so, although the room needs to be warm, it's best to allow them to dry naturally not only because that is the way it's done in the wild but also because it stimulates healthy preening (which you do NOT want to interfere with as both greys and toos are VERY prone to plucking!). Second thing, you won't be able to interact with the bird in the evening so the 6 hours after the kids come home from school are not going to be there (during the winter, it's night at 5 pm). The last point is almost irrelevant because the bird will be asleep so it doesn't need your company then. Third thing, no UV light bulbs! Only full spectrum and only the right specs and at the right distance or you can damage the bird's eyes or burn it.

Now, as to the species. I will be honest with you, neither one is good for a first timer. Parrots are VERY hard pets to keep healthy and happy, even the so-called easy ones are hard and, although you are doing a lot of research (and kudos to you for that! :thumbsup: ), believe me when I tell you that no amount of research gives you a clear idea of what it means living with one day after day and year after year, and anybody who has a parrot and is honest about it will agree! We all love them to pieces but there are many days that we all say to ourselves: "Why did I get myself into this?!" It's really, really hard because you have to keep so many different things in mind, put so many hours into it as well as work and money. I've been studying their diets, physiology, anatomy and behaviors for many years and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface so get ready to do research for the rest of your or your bird's life -whichever comes first as the insurance companies say :D !

Grays are very high-strung birds which require a very special household because hullabaloo is not for them. They like quiet households, long hours one-on-one with a single human they choose (who might not be you, the person who does have the time for it) without a whole lot of touchy-feely except during breeding season, and no changes EVER. And, if they get anxious or stressed out, they pluck and even self-mutilate.

As to the moluccan... well, they are BEAUTIFUL birds (no doubt about it!) and they are very affectionate if they were bred correctly and socialized just right (and that is easier said than done, mind you!) but they are one species that should have never been bred to be used as a human pet. They are huge birds with powerful beaks that will think nothing of attacking one of your girls and biting a big chunk off of her face just because she sat next to you during breeding season -and they have two seasons a year so, even when you keep them at a strict solar schedule and under a strict diet, they will be hormonal for months out of the year (all toos are considered 'hormonal' species). I had a citron that was the sweetest, sweetest thing... I never had a single problem with him and he was the kind of too everybody wants and nobody ever gets (no screams, no bites, no plucking, good eater, etc) but he had bitten his previous owner's daughter lower lip so badly they had to rush her to the emergency room and later required corrective surgery. We are now at the beginning of the toos first breeding season of the year and, this morning, I had to cage both of mine because they are both males and they both want me to pay attention only to them so, in order to avoid a fight, I am going to have to cage them for a while when I go out later today (which is not going to make them happy so they are going to scream their heads off all the time they are in -btw, moluccans are the loudest birds on earth, reaching decibels of 135 - close to the 140 of a 747 jet).

If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose these two species? Because they are so vastly different from each other that I wonder what, exactly, is your criteria... I am asking because we might be able to provide you with an 'easier' choice that might still comply with your 'requirements'. But, in any case, the best way to pick a bird is for you to volunteer at a bird rescue where they have many different species and see/hear/experience adult birds. This will give you a better (not perfect) idea of what to expect and, at the same time, see if a bird 'clicks' with you because another thing about parrots is that they are all a bunch of ingrates :lol: They couldn't care less about your loving them, cooking for them, cleaning after them, getting up at 5 am in the summer to feed them, fixing the furniture/walls/pictures/moldings, etc they chew and, just because you raise a baby to adulthood, it doesn't mean the bird will love you or that it won't have 'issues' (they can bring them from the breeder but you won't know until the bird reaches adulthood) whereas, with an adult, what you see is what you get and, if the bird is good in the rescue and loves you, it will do just great in your house.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Honestly I really have to commend you on the preparation you are doing before getting a bird. :thumbsup: It seems that you pretty much have made up your mind on a mollucan . The breed is my drug of choice :lol: I just want you to consider a rescue because cockatoos are the ones that seem to be popping up more and more iin rescues as there owners begin to see how much difficulty there is in there care. When taking in a rescue weather it be from a private situation or a facility you should visit the bird several times if possible. And like Liz said there could be a good chance a bird will pick you. When dealing with a private party ask lots of questions and remember there getting rid of the bird for a reason and more times than not they will tell half truths or out and out lies . When you own one of these birds they become family and there must be a pretty darn good reason they are looking to get rid of the bird including health issues that can become quite costly. Have you checked around your area for rescues? Remember if you are considering a baby that comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility too. Do your home work on reputable breeders there are not many that consider the welfare of the bird just that god almighty dollar. BW. LET ME KNOW OR ASK MORE QUESTIONS ILL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ALL. ITS NOT OFTEN THAT SOMEONE PUTS THE HORSE IN FRONT OF THE CART :lol: (If you know what I mean)
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 pm

OH PAJARITA you can be such a kill-joy :lol: BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU AS I SIT HERE WITH MY FACE AND ARMS HALF ATE UP :roll: :shock: yes all the too's are feeling very sexy right now !!!! The hubbys taking the blunt of it though as most are bonded to me :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Kagro3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello, and thank you for your reply and advice and information:) I saw some videos on YouTube of ppl showering And blowing them dry,( cool air only), and showered with cool water, no soap only water. I read too that they needing bathing to help with all the powder? So they don't need showers once a week? By saying all the time I had to give to a bird, I Was just showing that I have a lot of time. Also, I didn't know that you couldn't spend time with them during the evening? I did read that they require 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night. So, I figured I had at least until 5pm? But didn't know that was just during winter. If I got a bulb it would be bird specific and not just any pet light bulb but thank you for clearing it up by saying a full spectrum bulb over UV. When they are hormonal you can't spend time with them? Or can't spend the normal amount of time you normally do with them? I completely agreee that all this research won't help me to know exactly what it's like until I actually have it and live with a bird. Well, I had really only wanted a Congo African Grey. I was doing research only on that bird and was on YouTube one day watching videos and I saw a video of a Moluccan Cockatoo. His name is Gotcha and I just fell in love with him and I watched pretty much all his videos lol So, I started doing research on M2's as well as CAG's after that. While I think there are many different breeds that are gorgeous and intelligent and have great talking ability, the two breeds I chose are the ones that caught my eye the most. Even with all the issues that can come along with them.I am open to recommendations as to which bird would be best for my family and I. It is kind of discouraging and sad to hear that the birds I want most wouldn't be best for me or my family as I really had my heart set on them. I googled avian rescues by me and the closest is in NJ. So I wouldn't be able to volunteer there as it's too far for a daily thing. Thank you so much again :)
Kagro3
Parrotlet

Postby Kagro3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Thank you bird woman. I feel like my heart has chosen an M2. I really wish that there was rescues close by so I could spend a lot of time with the two breeds to help with my decision on which To add to our family. I am very leery of breeders because you are right, a lot are only about the money and not about putting the bird first. I do appreciate the honesty from everyone that has replied to this post. Sometimes the truth is not what you want to hear but what you need to hear. ;)
Kagro3
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Introductions