Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Found my first bird.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Found my first bird.

Postby alienlady » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:50 am

EvaMacaw wrote:Well at least you didn't name it Vulture. You woulda really caused some head scratching. lol

:lol: :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Found my first bird.

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:17 am

fox wrote:Haha that was pretty silly of me to not explain that better. He came with his name because he was such a shy bird when I first met him. He wouldn't step up on hands and just ran away. After I met him he opened up and now will get on my hand.
I have had quite a few pets in my life and have already spent a long time reading up on green cheeks. I printed out a do's and don'ts list of on my fridge so he never gets anything he shouldn't.
The only question I have for now is what are somethings you think are most important for a first time owner to know.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more after I get him and start this life with him. :3

In my personal opinion and experience, for a GCC, the most important things the caregiver needs to know is that
1) they need a lot more produce than other species and cannot be free-fed pellets, seeds or any other type of high protein food (they are mainly fruit eaters in the wild so their diet should be high moisture, high fiber, low protein, low fat)
2) a solar light schedule is a must with all birds
3) they need an inordinate amount of time spent with them (at least, 4 hours of one-on-one and 2 more of out-of-cage so they can fly).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Introductions