Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to the forum

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New to the forum

Postby madparrot » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:40 am

Hi
I am new to the forum. I have one flying 3.5 year old African Grey, Mango, who we have had since she was 3 months old. Prior to that I had a clipped African Grey for 40 + years (although much of that he was with my parents).

Look forward to learning about training. we are lucky that Mango seems to enjoy and trust the company of both me and my husband although we have different "roles". He is for the fun, interesting, games type activities and I am for head scritch and new food experiences.

Every now and again, for what appears to be no reason at all Mango will bite me very hard. This could be part way through a lengthy scritch that she has requested, or she will seek me out in the house and fly and bite me hard! I hope to learn how to stop this erratic biting.

Madparrot.
madparrot
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: New to the forum

Postby liz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:12 am

At least you and your husband know your roles in Mango's life.
Myrtle sometimes does that when she is jelous. It is usually when I am giving Rainbow attention without her. This is also a hormonal time of the year. I am lucky that mine just get cuter when hormonal but others can get visious.
Do you have him on the right day and night lighting.
Are you holding Mango's protein intake? Protein can be harmful to their liver and cause permanent damage. It will also increase their hormones.

Tell us a little more about your family. Someone with more knowledge will come on soon.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mad and Mango! Please post your question on the Taming forum but also add more information - like what is her light schedule, diet, daily routines and whether she also bite your husband or only you?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:18 am

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me like your good friend Mango is a bit hormonal and may be trying to tell you that you are being perceived as a rival for the attention of your husband. This is just a guess but the information requested by Pajarita would go a long way to confirm this or not, as well as give hints as to what you might be able to do about it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby madparrot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:28 am

Thank you for your comments, I will post on the taming forum with a bit more info.
madparrot
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey

Return to Introductions