Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

selling parrot

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

selling parrot

Postby debby2805 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Hi, I'm new on here so sorry if I'm in the incorrect place for my question,
we have a female red belly parrot 2 1/2 years old
was my daughters but she is at uni now my other daughter has no time for her
and I do feel sorry for the little thing she isn't getting the love an attention she deserves.
I recall being given some paper work from the seller (Which I cant find) and she has a ring
my question is do I need paper work to sell her? and where is the best place to sell her?
she has to go to a loving home obviously :(
many thanks in advance
Debbie x
debby2805
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: red belly parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: selling parrot

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:59 pm

This site has nothing to do with the sales of live birds. Posting about live birds for sale is prohibited on this forum.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Wolf wrote:This site has nothing to do with the sales of live birds. Posting about live birds for sale is prohibited on this forum.

I don't think she is trying to sell the bird here but rather asking for advice on how to go about it. I'm sure someone has some advice to give on the subject. But yeah, no bird sales on this forum.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:44 am

www.rescueme.com is a sight that is respectful of the birds. It is set up to connect parrots with homes that can be forever. You will have room to tell all about her (personality and health) and her personality. Interested parties can respond by phone or email whichever you prefer.
You can communicate with prospective owners and even Google there home to see if it is what you want for you bird.

You do love the bird. I can tell in your post that you want the best for her. Please screen the prospective humans. Birds have personalities and long lives. An abused or neglected bird can suffer a long time in such situations. The thought of what I have read that humans do to birds makes me shutter.

Please do not rush to get rid of her. She is a little being in her own right.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Liz, I poked on that link you put up for rescue me :shock: BW :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby debby2805 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks Liz for reply, no rush at all in selling her really and I thought that! the new owners would have to come to my house on a few occasions first to play with her before I would let her go, just to get to know her personality slightly.
do you think you need any paperwork to sell her? with her only being a small parrot?

many thanks again for your reply
Debbie x
debby2805
Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:48 am

I would always do a home visit too. That way you could help with cage placement and aclamating her into the new home easier. Good luck. Vet record transfer is the only paperwork I can think of unless she's micro chipped then you'll need to transfer that also. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Rmoses » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:48 am

All the information given is great but there is one thing that you haven't mentioned. Where are you located? There are people on the forum from several different countries and I'm sure some countries would have different laws on selling parrots. I would think a good place to ask about papers to sell the bird would be a veterinarian in your area, a pet store that sells birds or even a government agency like the Wildlife, Natural Resources agencies. I hope all goes well with the process and the bird finds a great home.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby debby2805 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Rick, even better advice, thanks so much for that :-)
debby2805
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 am

If you contact a local rescue or rescue group, they may be able to help you. They may have people waiting for a bird like yours. They may be able to help you with the types of questions to ask potential adopters. Sometimes a local Avian vet will know of a suitable person who might be interested in your bird. I think these are all avenues to try before listing a bird "for sale" in a place like Craigslist, or facebook. You don't want to attract flippers and breeders.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Introductions