Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek Conure

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Green Cheek Conure

Postby 1234animal lover » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:56 pm

I bought a 1 yr. old Green Cheek Conure from a private party a month ago. Seems perfectly healthy, eats well,and looks great but I'm curious why his breast feathers are fluffy and not smooth like the rest of him? Any ideas?
1234animal lover
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Green Cheek Conure, 1 Canary, 2 Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:44 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum! What do you mean by 'fluffy'? Is it that there are only down feathers in its chest and no contours? The down feathers are the 'undercoat' of birds and are naturally fluffy as they provide insulation while the contour feathers are the ones that cover the down feathers and have a more 'finished' look to them. When a bird starts plucking, it pulls the contour feathers first so you can see the fluffy down which it's not supposed to be exposed. If you post a picture, we can look at it and give you a better reply.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but you bought a bird from a private party ? Is this something that's set up purely for selling birds ?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby 1234animal lover » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't know how to post pictures on here, wish I could. Anyway in the month I've had him he has not plucked at all. Will the contour feathers grow back in or is this something I need to take him to my vet for? By the way thank you very much for the information.
1234animal lover
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Green Cheek Conure, 1 Canary, 2 Parakeets

Postby Bird woman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

alienlady wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but you bought a bird from a private party ? Is this something that's set up purely for selling birds ?
. SILLY GIRL , here in America we say private party which is from an individual not a business . Just like when the British SAY CHERIO, WE EAT THOSE. :lol: :lol: :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby alienlady » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Bird woman wrote:
alienlady wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but you bought a bird from a private party ? Is this something that's set up purely for selling birds ?
. SILLY GIRL , here in America we say private party which is from an individual not a business . Just like when the British SAY CHERIO, WE EAT THOSE. :lol: :lol: :lol: BW

It sounded to me like a party purely for selling parrots :lol: :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Bird woman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Made me smile, and have a lesson as well on how communication from one country to another can be lnturperated differently and if nobody is asking or explaining then people are assuming. THANKS FOR THE SMILES :P
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby alienlady » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 am

I always see the funny side BW :lol: It could have been a black market parrot or a tupperware party for all I know !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm

1234animal lover wrote:I don't know how to post pictures on here, wish I could. Anyway in the month I've had him he has not plucked at all. Will the contour feathers grow back in or is this something I need to take him to my vet for? By the way thank you very much for the information.

Well, I tell you, I have a bird that plucks and I have never, ever, ever seeing him doing it - but I know he does because his feathers are missing so not seeing the bird actually doing it doesn't mean he is not. Having said that, if the bird plucks for a long time, his feather follicles get damaged and the feathers simply never grow back. The way to tell is to examine the plucked area carefully every day to see if he is actually plucking the feather (pulling it by the root) or barbering it (cutting it, sometimes all the way down to the skin, but leaving the 'root' inside). When a feather is plucked (not molted which is a natural process that happens once a year), a new feather should start growing out of the skin in about 10 days BUT if the feather is barbered, you have to wait until the bird molts in order to see a new feather. So, blow on his chest feathers in the same spot every day and, if you see a little pin (the white keratin sheath that covers and protects the 'baby' feather so it can grow to its full size) peeping out of the skin, he has been plucking, the follicles are still 'working' and he is regrowing the contour feathers. Do not touch the pin at all because it hurts them if you do before they are 'ready'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions