Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gracie's adoption

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Gracie's adoption

Postby Bird woman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

All good things in time. In the old days they used to swear by the flooding , training technique and taking advantage of the honeymoon period. Now everything is different , low and slow. I believe the same should hold true with new parrot owners as long as they have good basic knowledge. As we all know there isn't enough hours in a day if everyday of our lives was devoted to learning about exotic birds. And it is always ever so changing as more research and studying progresses. Fresh food is always best but a good staple seed and pellet combo also has its place especially with a rescue that is just learning to explore fresh veggies fruits and different foods. Most family's don't have the luxury of being to stay with there bird 24/7 so it is good to have other food alternatives that can be relayed on if needed. I feel if the bird will except a good assortment of veggies , grains and fruits on top of having pellets and seed for a staple then the battle is won. Rescuing and adopting a parrot especially a large one in my experience is not much different than adopting a child into your family , you learn about each other and all grow together in time. There's always going to be ups and downs and then we adjust for the downs and applaud the ups. :thumbsup: KUDOS TO YOU KAGRO3 FOR RESCUING GRACIE. YOU ARE ALREADY BEING A GREAT PATIENT MOM. :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:01 am

Oh, yes, BW is right. I am a MANIAC when it comes to my parrots food and even I don't change their diet (unless it's truly awful -like the cheapest seed mix or the colored pellets- or the bird is sick from it -as in fatty liver or kidney damage) at the beginning. I always offer them the same thing I give all the others and at the same time the others get it (because a strict solar schedule and the daily routine is one thing that I do from day one) BUT, at the beginning, I also give them what they were used to eating in their previous home. Been rehomed is hard enough on them and one doesn't want to add to the stress (that's another thing that I am a maniac about: stress) by giving them food they don't even recognize as such.

And, yes, again, on the not everybody having the time to do all the research that is needed to begin to scratch the surface of the necessary knowledge (it's hard, it's complicated and, so far, it seems to be never ending!). Thankfully, you don't have to start from square one (as we, people who started having parrots over 20 years ago, had to do) because there is now plenty of information on the net to put you on the right track and all you have to do is take it from there. I only have one advice to you on this: always go to their natural diet (Nature always knows best) and never take anybody's word for anything, just use their opinion to do your own research on the subject.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Kagro3 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 am

Hello All, just wanted to post a little update seeing as it's been awhile. We've had Her for 2 months now.. Gracie is doing wonderful! We've realized a while ago that her wings weren't clipped and she is free flighted. I plan on her keeping her that way and not clipping her wings. I have an awesome slow motion video of when we realized she could fly and I can't upload it. I really wish it was easier to post pics/videos on this forum. She is finally used to her harness to be able to go out. We took it very slow as to not give her any bad experiences with it. We've changed her food a bit and she's liking this a lot better. We got her 2 different kinds and mix it, along with her fresh veggies and fruits. I've noticed she doesn't care for fruit as much as she likes her veggies. I've gotten a scale for her awhile ago and she stays around 790 grams for the most part. We just love her. Even when she is bold as can be and in her moods lol She had us cracking up the other night. We were watching something on Tv and a cat was meowing on it, loudly. She said," Here kitty kitty." Well we bursted out laughing and then she starting with her laughing. She's a real card. Haha
Kagro3
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Moluccan Cockatoo

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful update! It seems that everything is going well and that everybody is adapting to the new 'arrangement' - kudos to you AND her! And, yes, they are funny, aren't they? And they know what human laughter means, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Fri May 26, 2017 5:54 am

Watch Gracie's weight and keep her flying , free feed the veggies all she wants and limit the kibble and bits and treats. Got all the special needie babies in and I've got my hands full. I will e`mail you some pics. Meeting another rescue here at the restaurant at 6:00 am so I thought I'd just get here at 1:30 and get all the work done for the weekend and take it off to work with the newbies. My boy will be excited as I've done all his work to but it will be short lived when I tell him I'm not coming in this weekend. :lol: birds need me and I need sleep. :thumbsup: I'm so proud of you and Gracie keep up the good work!!!! :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Previous

Return to Introductions