Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi from Zoe's Mom

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi from Zoe's Mom

Postby ZoesMom » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi - I am Terry Lynne... I am Zoe's Mom. She is a beautiful 2 year old African Grey Timneh that we got from a really awesome breeder up in Oklahoma after she was totally weened in March of 2015. From the moment we got her she and I bonded....she pooped on me. LOL. It's good luck right?!
She has a big cage inside her own room in our house. She is flighted. She loves to talk, whistle the Mayberry tune, Popeye and one other that we haven't quite figured out which show it came from yet. Her favorite thing right now is to sit on her post in the doorway ~ call the cat and laugh. Or when she sees Frankie (cat) or Charlie (dog) go for the water dish she will say "Charlie want some water?" or "Frankie". And laugh. She loves talking to herself. We are trying to get her to say "Daddy" So far all she will say is "I love you so so much Mommy" - but she does love him too! She is a very happy healthy bird. And she is loved so so much! ...

Hope Y'all's day was as beautiful as it was here!
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi from Zoe's Mom

Postby liz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 am

Zoe sounds really special.
Welcome to the forum.
She has her own room but do you leave the door open. I can't leave the door open for the cockatiels but to give them the freedom of flight I gave them their own room. My son put a door on that room by removing the screen and replacing it with cage wire. They can't come out but they hang on the door to call me to them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ZoesMom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 am

Thank you!

No, the door isn't open...Frankie would love to meet Zoe face to face! (Frankie is a ragdoll) My husband cut a big square in the door and put cage wire into the opening. She has a perch she sits on and looks out into the Kitchen. There is a mirror there that she can see into the Living room. Frankie will sit on the rocker five feet away and look at her. LOL. She just laughs at him. She is a lot of fun!

I have my Praying Mantis collection in her room (behind pet screen and wood) so I am in and out of her room all the time.
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Postby Bird woman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 am

Welcome to the forum , is it a live collection to entertain zoey? Honestly I thought about getting the birds a large reef tank for them to look at . BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 am

Welcome to the forum, Zoe and Zoe's mom! Your little girl is beginning to grow up (she is at 'that' age) and sounds delightful. Let us know if we can be of any help and, if you can, we would love pictures.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ZoesMom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 am

You know how curious they are...she perches on my shoulder while I feed them all. They used to be easier for her to get to she would get up there and knock their houses off! I had to have my husband build a better enclosure for them. Now she walks along the ridge in front of them with her head cocked looking in at them!

Thank you - YES. I need advice.... I am just now returning from a trip from out of town for a month. She is going to be upset with me again. I had to go help my mom through a surgery. The last time I had to be gone, I was only gone for 2 weeks.
She was so upset at me that after being VERY cuddly, she began this bad habit of biting me.And when we were cuddling during those first few days back, she reached up and hit me hard with her beak! She bites my hand every time I step her up out of her cage. :( So I started giving her a treat to keep her mouth full when I let her out. That didn't stop it. She still reaches for my hand as soon as she finishes. So I started wearing long sleeve shirts and covering my hands when I go in there. Now I will be home late this afternoon. I know I am late asking....but is there anything I can do that will ease her Behavior?

I have lots of pictures! As soon as I figure out the process for getting them on here, I will put some up. :)
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 am

Unfortunately, no, there is really nothing you can do except be patient, understanding and just keep on with her daily routines as if nothing had happened. One of the many problems with keeping parrots as pets is that, to them, absence of their beloved is only acceptable if it's because he/she is dead. They simply cannot understand or adjust to absences even if they happen all the time. It's just not in their psychological make-up because nature made it so they are born, live their entire lives and die surrounded by their family and, if a mate or a member of the family is not there today, it means it died. So, when you go away, they wait for a day or two and, when you don't show up, they go into mourning. Then you show up and this really, really confuses them because, if you are still alive, how come you were not there for her? Some of them are just happy to see you but some resent the fact that you left them behind. I am afraid that your Zoe is the kind to resent (and punish) you for your 'sin'. But, in her defense, she must have been TERRIBLY stressed out and might be acting up out of sheer relief... I don't know if you have kids but this is pretty much the same reaction parents have when the kid runs off in the park or a store and you are desperately looking for him and time goes by and you are already at the end of your rope and freaking out when, suddenly, the kid shows up and you want to KILL him for putting you through such an ordeal so you grab the kid and shake him while shouting: "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?!!! DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME CALLING FOR YOU?!!! I WAS GOING CRAZY OVER HERE!" It's the kind of 'rage' that comes out of relief and not out of lack of love - know what I mean? :?

But, normally, the 'backlash' doesn't last for more than a couple of days. I don't normally go anywhere that will make me change their routine as I actually plan my errands and activities for the times when they are either sleeping or during their 'cage' time. But, every few years, I need to either go back home to see my family or some other kind of special outing (I am planning on taking one of my grandkids to Disneyworld later this year, for example). I am never out for more than two weeks but, when this happens, their routine is changed because they are not allowed to come out for hours and hours every day as my husband works in another state and would, sometimes, need to come back in the middle of the night (he never stays overnight when I am not here) but between one of my daughters and a neighbor we pay to come over, they still get their solar schedule and feedings at the time they are supposed to so the biggest change is me not being here - and they feel it! But, thankfully and because my birds are all adults (yours is still a juvenile), most of them have been with me for years and they have other birds in their flock, they are never resentful - quite the contrary, my problem when I first come back is spreading myself to give extra love to each of them :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 am

I have a TAG named Nicholas. He is probably in his 20s, wild caught.

I took Nick to the vet last summer. He had a big feather cyst near his preen gland. It took about 45 minutes to clean it out.

Nick has still not forgiven me. He runs away from me whenever I get near him. Greys can hold grudges for a long time.

Contrast that with an Umbrella cockatoo. I had to catch him, towel him, and use pliers on his beak to get a clip off his beak (if you don't think you'd tow a car with it, it's too weak for a U2.) As soon as I let him go he had already forgiven me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 am

You think Greys are bad. I scared Myrtle and she did not speak to me for 10 days.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ZoesMom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks for the advice! These trips cannot be helped. My mom has had health issues and this time she had her shoulder replaced and between her and my dad who has major memory problems...I had to be there to help. :( Thankfully my husband was still here. But while Zoe loves him, their relationship isn't the same.

I have been extremely relieved since getting back she has been so happy to see me that she hasn't been acting out! She hasn't even tried to bite me since I have been back (knock on wood!!) I left her in her cage the first day because I had soooo much work to do with my mantids. Of course I was right there in the room with her most of the day, so she got my undivided attention and she ate that up. She didn't talk when I was in there the first time but the minute I walked out she called out "I love you momma!" :-)

And yes, I have two grown sons and a grandkids, so I totally get that analogy!

Awe! Poor Nicholas! I feel for him.
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Introductions