Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi from Zoe's Mom

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hi from Zoe's Mom

Postby ZoesMom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Ok, I take that back. I went in there to put her up ... she leaned down like she wanted her head scratched but it was a fake out, she immediately tried to bite me, took off and she flew AT my head, her claw almost hit my eye. :( I guess the honeymoon phase of her being happy that I am back is over. She is upset at me. I cannot just stay out of there. I need to take care of her. THIS was happening to Brian before I left, but not ever to me. She was upset at him because he quit training with her.
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:23 am

Well, I have to tell you, grays are difficult birds even in the best of circumstances... This is one case where their smarts work against us AND them because they not only make deductions but they also hold grudges BIG TIME!

I don't know if you keep her to a solar or a human light schedule and what you feed but this is breeding season for them and, when they are overly hormonal (which they never are if you feed right and keep them at a strict solar schedule), they can get bitey. My grays are never overly hormonal so, when breeding season comes around, my problem is that they get extremely loving (read: needy and clingy) especially Sophie CAG (she is on her second clutch right now -I don't breed but I allow them to go through the 'motions'- and wants kisses and head scritches ALL THE TIME :D ).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ZoesMom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Pajarita,

I have definitely seen the grudges! And wow does she ever love to cuddle. She always has, ever since I got her. She came from a couple that handled her from birth.

We did allot of research on this when we first got her. Since we also have chameleons that live in the next room and have to live by the solar light schedule, we keep her to the same. We go by the Parrot Wizzard's way of feeding.... feed her Veggies (mixed greens, fresh herbs, a radish, carrot, pepper flakes, a walnut, maybe a blueberry, a few pieces of roudy bush. (Of course we mix it up, basically that's it.)) in the morning and allow her to eat on them for a few hours in her cage, then remove it and let her out into her room. She gets a few treats during the day. At dinner she gets her Roudy Bush and Zupreem Fruit Blend Mix. We feed her at the same times almost every single day.

So I take it this behavior of hers is absolutely natural.....and not because I deserted her?
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:05 am

Ahhhh, great on the solar light schedule! Just one more question about it: is she exposed for, at least, 1.5 hour to dawn and dusk without any interference from artificial lights? Because this is what makes the difference.

And no, I actually think it is because you 'abandoned' her - otherwise, she would be extra cuddly and not aggressive at all.

Please do more research on grays diets because I think you are not giving her enough protein (they need protein during the day, not just at night, only it needs to be low protein with the high protein reserved for dinner). And, I am sorry to say that the pellets you are feeding are bad (soy and sugar -a complete and absolute NO NO for parrots!). I don't feed pellets because I've been doing research on parrots natural diets for over 20 years and have long ago reached the conclusion that they are not, never have been and never will be the best dietary option for parrots (I feed gloop and raw produce for breakfast and nuts and seeds for dinner with a multivitamin/mineral supplement given twice a week). BUT, if I had no choice and HAD to feed a pellet, I would use Tops and no other because they are the ONLY pellets that have no soy (real bad for animals!), they only use organic and (very important!) human grade ingredients (versus animal feed grade) with naturally-derived vitamins and minerals (and not lab made as the other pellets do) - and no sugar!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ZoesMom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 pm

We began doing research on what Zoe needed to eat before we ever got her. We do give her nuts mixed in with her raw vegetable mix that we make every morning and nuts throughout the day as treats. Everywhere I go, I hear that one food is better than another. I will look into the food that you are talking about, I am always looking for better ways to take care of her. :-) So I appreciate your advice

Yes, she gets natural light.
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

Ahhh, well, the nuts would provide good protein for during the day (you had not mentioned them before - thus, my concern). Yes, please, do check the ingredients on the pellets you are feeding and you'll see what I am talking about - and I'll tell you something else: parrots cannot taste sweet so the sugar in the pellets is a completely unnecessary evil!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby ZoesMom » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Well, actually I did. Only I called them "walnut" (I have always had problems with names, it doesn't just happen with people - LOL). And as I cut up the pecans this morning for her food I realized the mistake I made! I also mentioned her treats during the day, only failed to mention 'what' treats. :-)

She is very healthy and happy, her eyes are clear and bright, her feathers are smooth and shiny - her flight is strong, and she is a quick learner. So we must be doing something right here.

As I said before, I will look into the food you are talking about. :-)
ZoesMom
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 am

I give Rainbow and Myrtle one pistachio each while they wait for their veggies and softened grain. I don't give them protein rich foods like nuts during the day. They also get an almond in the shell before their seed supper. Those are the only nuts I give them.
I used to do free choice with Rainbow. She was mature enough to go between her seed and veggies all day. I had to change that with Myrtle. She had been so deprived that she would eat just nuts if I let her.
They also get hand outs through the day of what is safe for birds from what I eat. I give my dogs a treat around 3 pm after their naps. I give the Amazons a "Goldfish" at that time. Everything in the house can tell time, even the birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 am

Liz, I hope from the bottom of my hear that the 'goldfish' is not the little cheese cracker full of salt and crap!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Introductions