Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello Everybody

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello Everybody

Postby Ece » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:01 am

:gray: Hello Everybody.I live in Turkey.I have a baby african grey.I don't now,it is he or she but I will say 'she'.She was born 15.02.2017.When she came to me,her leg was broken.She had an operation.This weekend,platinium will came out from her leg.I'm so happy for joining such a friendly and helpful blog.I'm so interested,my parrot is almost 60 days now.When can I start to train?I'm looking forward your answers :)
Ece
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello Everybody

Postby stevesjk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 am

Welcome! It is far too early to start training, its just a baby so your first priority is to get to know the bird and her you.

For now just offer treats, talk softly. Stay calm around her and leave her cage open (if safe to do so with her leg) so she can come out and explore her surroundings. Let her approach you, take things at the birds pace. That would be my advice.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby liz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 am

Put her perch up to face level and try not to put your hands in her cage.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Ece » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks for your advices.She is so domestic now.She is not in a cage,she is on sofa :D
Ece
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am

Welcome ECE AND BABY GREY, your baby is young and already has experienced trauma {so sad } nice to know medical was provided. :D This is the time to establish healthy eating habits as well as proper socialization , it will save you a lot of problems in the future. I work with rescues and it's very hard to turn these feather beauties around when not given a good start and sometimes impossible. We are all here to help. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby stevesjk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 am

Oh right ok you are further along than i thought but still too early for training. I would just keep doing what you're doing for now
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 am

Welcome, Ece and baby gray (what's his/her name?). You have a VERY young baby in your hands. In the wild, it would not have come out of the nest yet so you need to supplement her food with handfeeding as well as offer two different kinds of soft food served warm and fresh twice a day. Please make sure she is kept in a safe environment (perches low to the bottom of the cage, something soft on the bottom in case she/he falls, safe bar separation so he/she doesn't get a foot or head stuck in between them, etc) and don't even think of training until she is a juvenile because, even though it will work right now, it will backfire on you if you do it. Baby parrots are like human babies, all they need is warmth (make sure he/she is kept VERY warm), softness, good nutritional food and lots and lots of love - human babies don't go to school and baby parrots don't get training until they are older.

Has he/she had an ionized calcium test to determine if his/her calcium levels are normal? Because the fact that he/she had a broken leg in the nest worries me as this is usually caused by a calcium deficiency.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:31 am

Ece wrote:Thanks for your advices.She is so domestic now.She is not in a cage,she is on sofa :D

Love it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 am

I have so much trouble trying to remember where the humans are from. I have been begging for the members to put their location in the info box to the left. It is a strain on my little old brain.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby prettyolive » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Congrats on your African Grey! I don't know when to start training. I have a 1.5 yr old Green Cheek Pineapple Conure. Have a Solomon Island Eclectus and a Quaker.

I will tell you about an awesome book I highly suggest you read. It is called Alex & Me by Dr. Irene Pepperberg. She is a scientist who studied Greys and Alex was her star pupil. This book was on the New York Time's best seller list.

Her research and teaching Alex along with him having taught her is nothing short of amazing. Alex was so well known that when he died, the Today show mourned him, newspapers and magazines were full of talking about him.

Please read. I am sure you will enjoy.

barb
prettyolive
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Female Green Cheek Pineapple Conure

Next

Return to Introductions